Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
I'm looking at two different box sets of Beatles albums, both of which are remasters done in 2009. One of the box sets includes all of the Beatles albums and are done in stereo. The other includes the first ten albums and are in mono. The first several Beatles albums were done solely in mono and then albums afterwards were mixed in mono first, with the Beatles involved in it, and then afterwards the stereo mix was made without the boys present. (The only albums that were done in stereo at first were Let It Be and Abbey Road).

There are a few differences in what was included in the stereo vs the mono mix, but most of the issue is which collection is the better one to listen to and hear the richness of the recordings.

Has anyone looked at this and made a decision or have a view on this?

Some of the earliest stereo mixes are brutal, especially if you like to listen with headphones. They did hard separations of the two channels, so you get the instruments in the left channel, and vocals in the right channel. The is true of the first two UK albums. But there are lots of little and not so little differences to the two versions throughout - a different lead vocal on the mono version of Help, different lengths of songs, missing instruments on some songs, etc. The White Album, surprisingly, has the most differences between mono and stereo.

Personally I'd get the mono albums up until Rubber Soul, and stereo from Rubber Soul onward. Buy them individually.
My step mom, was huge into the Beatles and had a ton of them on mono. I remember the discs were super heavy and inflexible. I've had the Hey Jude disc (cd) in the rotation for the commute, along with Franz Ferdinand, Mozart Violin concertos, some Hungarian world beat disc, Who, face dances, and one more I can't remember at the
moment.

Now, Claude Bolling, suite for flute and piano trio w/ Rampal
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
I'm looking at two different box sets of Beatles albums, both of which are remasters done in 2009. One of the box sets includes all of the Beatles albums and are done in stereo. The other includes the first ten albums and are in mono. The first several Beatles albums were done solely in mono and then albums afterwards were mixed in mono first, with the Beatles involved in it, and then afterwards the stereo mix was made without the boys present. (The only albums that were done in stereo at first were Let It Be and Abbey Road).

There are a few differences in what was included in the stereo vs the mono mix, but most of the issue is which collection is the better one to listen to and hear the richness of the recordings.

Has anyone looked at this and made a decision or have a view on this?

Some of the earliest stereo mixes are brutal, especially if you like to listen with headphones. They did hard separations of the two channels, so you get the instruments in the left channel, and vocals in the right channel. The is true of the first two UK albums. But there are lots of little and not so little differences to the two versions throughout - a different lead vocal on the mono version of Help, different lengths of songs, missing instruments on some songs, etc. The White Album, surprisingly, has the most differences between mono and stereo.

Personally I'd get the mono albums up until Rubber Soul, and stereo from Rubber Soul onward. Buy them individually.

Capital also did this steroizing on Sinatra records and more. It's almost never good, however I never use headphones and at this point in my life I do like a little sound spread.
Some of the early efforts at stereo were a bit lame to me, especially when they put all of a voice or instrument on only one speaker. It would be interesting to hear some of the work in mono, though I think I am going to get the box set with the stereo versions as it is cheaper and has more stuff. I can always buy some of the early albums separately in mono.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
The Talking Heads - Remain in Light

I need to get this on vinyl. My cassette version is long gone and the piece of crap, first generation CD version I have is just that.

Their best. Big Grin

Vinyl of this would be brilliant. But also consider the remastered DualDisc that was released about 10 years ago. The sound is excellent, it has 4 additional outtake tracks, and the second side of the disc has a surround sound mix that is top notch. It's honestly like hearing the album again for the first time.

The first side of the disc is the remastered stereo. The second side is the surround mix in both DVD-A 5.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1. Jerry Harrison oversaw the surround sound mix.
quote:
The Talking Heads - Remain in Light

I need to get this on vinyl. My cassette version is long gone and the piece of crap, first generation CD version I have is just that.

I am partial to Little Creatures - I had what I assume was a boot-legged cassette tape of this that I bought in Israel with a slapped on Hebrew label in 1987 I think - was one of the last cassettes I owned.
quote:

Their best. Big Grin

Vinyl of this would be brilliant. But also consider the remastered DualDisc that was released about 10 years ago. The sound is excellent, it has 4 additional outtake tracks, and the second side of the disc has a surround sound mix that is top notch. It's honestly like hearing the album again for the first time.

The first side of the disc is the remastered stereo. The second side is the surround mix in both DVD-A 5.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1. Jerry Harrison oversaw the surround sound mix.

I'll look for that. A quick glance at Amazon didn't help me identify it. 40+ hits for the title, many of which don't even tell you how many discs there are, never mind a track listing. Roll Eyes

I have a love-hate relationship with Amazon. Frequently the best place to buy music, but I always feel dirty the next morning.
quote:
quote:

Their best. Big Grin

I'll look for that. A quick glance at Amazon didn't help me identify it. 40+ hits for the title, many of which don't even tell you how many discs there are, never mind a track listing. Roll Eyes

I have a love-hate relationship with Amazon. Frequently the best place to buy music, but I always feel dirty the next morning.

Yeah, I hear you.

Anyway, search for the 2006 "dual disc" version:

https://www.amazon.ca/Remain-L...-Heads/dp/B000C3H4MC

The price on .ca is crazy expensive though. It's much cheaper on amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/Remain-...-Heads/dp/B000C3H4MC

$29.99 for new, from $13.79 used. (Click on "See all 24 formats and editions")

And while the surround sound version is fantastic, I'm not a big fan of dual discs. It's basically a two-sided CD with the regular stereo mix on one side, and the DVD-A and Dolby Digital version on the other side. The discs are a little thicker than a normal CD. I've never had technical problems with them, but they just seem like a questionable technology.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Their best. Big Grin

Yeah, I hear you.

Anyway, search for the 2006 "dual disc" version:

https://www.amazon.ca/Remain-L...-Heads/dp/B000C3H4MC

The price on .ca is crazy expensive though. It's much cheaper on amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/Remain-...-Heads/dp/B000C3H4MC

$29.99 for new, from $13.79 used. (Click on "See all 24 formats and editions")

And while the surround sound version is fantastic, I'm not a big fan of dual discs. It's basically a two-sided CD with the regular stereo mix on one side, and the DVD-A and Dolby Digital version on the other side. The discs are a little thicker than a normal CD. I've never had technical problems with them, but they just seem like a questionable technology.

"Under the water...heavier water"

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.