Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Steely Dan - Citizen Dan

The first half - mostly the first 3 albums. Makes for good running tunes.

I couldn't run fast enough to get away from their music. I guess our musical tastes diverge on this one. Wink

Bman, it's not the vinyl that makes Steely Dan sound bad. Favourite American band??? Eek
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Steely Dan - Citizen Dan

I couldn't run fast enough to get away from their music. I guess our musical tastes diverge on this one. Wink

Bman, it's not the vinyl that makes Steely Dan sound bad. Favourite American band??? Eek

I am with Steve - big time on this one.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
quote:
Steely Dan - Citizen Dan

I am with Steve - big time on this one.

Yes, favourite American band. One of the few bands whose music I never switch from when it comes on the radio.
quote:
quote:
Steely Dan - Citizen Dan

A musician's band for sure. I don't know any of my pro musician friends who don't love the Dan. The intricacy of their arrangements and voicings, the poetry and humour of their lyrics, the high level of musicianship... But they are without a doubt a cerebral experience, and not at all emotional. And I understand why some people dislike them.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Steely Dan - Citizen Dan

A musician's band for sure. I don't know any of my pro musician friends who don't love the Dan. The intricacy of their arrangements and voicings, the poetry and humour of their lyrics, the high level of musicianship... But they are without a doubt a cerebral experience, and not at all emotional. And I understand why some people dislike them.

They were easily the tightest, most together band I've ever seen. Effortless, really, which is not surprising since Becker and Fagan have been together forever, though not sure for how long the band we saw has been with them. And the Danettes were almost equally impressive, each of them could pretty much carry a show on her own, methinks. Plus, as Sunnylea says, the repartee between tunes was a real hoot, especially when Walter Becker went into a 3 minute plus steam of consciousness monologue on the history of the band and the meaning of some of their songs. Pure gold for a real fan!
quote:
quote:
The intricacy of their arrangements and voicings, the poetry and humour of their lyrics, the high level of musicianship...

You forgot over-production and sterility. Razz

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Rush.........

Though you forgot to mention their pretentious lyrics! Razz
bman - ^^

BTW, most of the Dan touring band has been with them for 13-16 years. They are all in demand players, and at the top of their game on their respective instruments.

Just google Keith Carlock (drums), Freddie Washington (bass), or Walt Weiskopf (sax). Or any of the others.

Steve8, I get that you don't care for them, but calling them over-produced? The arrangements are about as tight and spare as they get. If you really listen to the arrangements, the syncopation and rhythmic interplay between the instruments is fantastic. Every note has its place. And the result is often very funky.
I'm looking at two different box sets of Beatles albums, both of which are remasters done in 2009. One of the box sets includes all of the Beatles albums and are done in stereo. The other includes the first ten albums and are in mono. The first several Beatles albums were done solely in mono and then albums afterwards were mixed in mono first, with the Beatles involved in it, and then afterwards the stereo mix was made without the boys present. (The only albums that were done in stereo at first were Let It Be and Abbey Road).

There are a few differences in what was included in the stereo vs the mono mix, but most of the issue is which collection is the better one to listen to and hear the richness of the recordings.

Has anyone looked at this and made a decision or have a view on this?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.