Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Simone Dinnerstein - Goldberg Variations.

fwiw, she was interviewed today on the Diane Rehm show. Very compelling hour of radio, even for folks not normally drawn to classical music.

PH

I'm glad you mentioned this. One of the local classical hosts was on about her this summer. Played some recordings and interview excerpts. I intended to chase something down and then forgot.
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
I was actually listening to the two recordings I have side-by-side. I have the Hyperion recording with Matthias Goerne and the DG recording with Fischer-Dieskau. They are both great performances. I guess I'll always be fond of the FD one because it was the first I owned.

FD must have recorded this at least 6 times!! I have not heard the one he did with Murray Perahia. Have you? I listed to the Matthias Goerne one last night and don't like it very much. I then listened to the old (1963??) recording with Peter Pears. Fantastic, except for the tape hiss. I think I prefer a tenor singing this, rather than a baritone.

A new recording with tenor James Gilchrist and Anna Tilbrook (Orchid label) is on my wish list.
quote:
Originally posted by haggis:
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
I was actually listening to the two recordings I have side-by-side. I have the Hyperion recording with Matthias Goerne and the DG recording with Fischer-Dieskau. They are both great performances. I guess I'll always be fond of the FD one because it was the first I owned.

No, I haven't. The one I have is with Gerald Moore.

FD must have recorded this at least 6 times!! I have not heard the one he did with Murray Perahia. Have you? I listed to the Matthias Goerne one last night and don't like it very much. I then listened to the old (1963??) recording with Peter Pears. Fantastic, except for the tape hiss. I think I prefer a tenor singing this, rather than a baritone.

A new recording with tenor James Gilchrist and Anna Tilbrook (Orchid label) is on my wish list.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.