What are you drinking for Xmas/holidays thread.

Some of my future in-laws drink wine, but none are enthusiasts. I'll be opening value bottles today. At least I can pick better $10 to $14 wines than they can! Likely a Kim Crawford SB and Bogle Chard for whites, and some Spanish Garnachas for reds. If the beer drinkers are expecting Miller Lite in my fridge though, they are SOL. Razz

I have another week off work after today, and DanTheRhoneFan is hosting NYE. I'm confident I will drink plenty of outstanding juice between now and when we get back to reality.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
If the beer drinkers are expecting Miller Lite in my fridge though, they are SOL. Razz

Funny! I have 3 Heinekens and 2 Miller Lights in the very back of the fridge for people who don't understand beer but think that they like it. They've been sitting back there most of the year. The Heinekin is good for steaming shrimp, though......

PH
2010 Estancia Cabernet Sauvignon Paso Robles. This is a tolerably decent wine, and actually a pretty good QPR at the local supermarket sale price of $12.99. It has decent fruit, but is solidly oaked, so if you are adverse to the oaky California cab, this would be a pass. 87-88 points for me--drink now.

2010 M. Chapoutier Bila Haut Cotes de Rousillon--Very nice, probably my favorite of the foursome. Nice concentration of fruit, with a nice mineral touch and smooth tannins. Huge QPR wine. 92-93 points for me

2003 Chateau Duhart Milon--Young, but definitely approachable. Better on the second day. Not a blockbuster, but very elegant, especially when compared with the other 3. 91 points for me.

2002 Joseph Phelps Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley--this took maybe 30-45 minutes to open up, but shows nicely. Nice integration of vanilla oak with soft fruits and smooth tannins. Broadly appealing. 90 points for me.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by max:
Opened a 1996 Kalin Cellars Sonoma County Pinot Noir Cuvee DD with Christmas ham and traditional fixins.

How was it? I'm a big fan of what Kalin does. Fascinating wines.
I am as well. I did a brief impression on the 'what are you drinking' thread. Showing very well.
24th eve:
2005 Bauget-Jouette blanc de blancs, Champagne, (as Aperitif and with Ecrevisses)

1998 Grand-Puy-Lacoste (with Fillet Wellington)

25th:
2002 Quinta do Vale d.Maria LBV Port (as Aperitif, dont be surprised, Port is considered an Aperitif in Luxembourg Smile )

2004 St.-Aubin "Les Combes" 1er Cru (white), Marc Colin (with a nage aux St.-Jacques), absolutely sublime in it's prime drinking wimdow.

2002 Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Cherbaudes vieille vigne, Domaine Fourrier, (fantastic pairing for venison)

2000 Chateauneuf-du-Pape vieilles vignes, Domaine Villeneuve, red, (with cheeese platter, along with the remainders of the 2004 St.-Aubin which was my coup de coeur of the day)
Xmas eve: Roederer sparkling wine and 2003 clos des papes CDP (3 hr decant)(needs way more time in the cellar) with crab legs and filet mignon.

Xmas day: 2009 Pisoni estate Pinot noir with duck confit, both were delicious, followed by 2008 Pegau CDP, which was solid as expected.
On Christmas Eve, friends made a beautiful traditional turkey dinner. We took a magnum of Pol Roger Cuvee de Reserve and 750 ml Krug Grand Cuvee, both of which showed nicely esp. after a glass of less than stellar prosecco.

We took my wife's mother to a fabulous but stupidly overpriced Christmas brunch yesterday. I was offered a mimosa when we arrived, and I guess our server thought I really like it because she kept replacing my empty glass.

Tbird would have been proud of me. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by shavez:
Enjoyed a 1981 Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia Gran Reserva with dinner yesterday.
How was it showing? I have an 80 in the cellar waiting for my wife's next b-day.

Really well, although I've had better vintages. The nose was somewhat muted (at least compared to the 1991 that I had several months ago), but the palate was beautiful. Ripe fruit, slightly expansive, good balancing acidity. A very nice wine, but not the best I've had from LdH.
Over the three days with the family (Christmas Eve through Boxing Day), in no particular order:

2009 Radio Coteau Savoy Chardonney
2009 Grochau Cellars Sauvignon Blanc Upper Five Vineyard
2003 E. Guigal CNdP
2005 Karl Lawrence Napa Cabernet Sauvignon
2010 Ayres Willamette Valley Pinot Noir
2010 Bogle Phantom (had to have one cellar protector opened)
1996 Bodegas LAN Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Lanciano
1996 Graham Beck Rose
2007 Loring Cargasacchi Vineyard Pinot Noir
2007 Stephania Haut Tubee
2000 Chateau St. Michelle Meritage
2007 Dain Svage Juliet Pinot Noir
2001 diStefano Meritage Columbia valley
2006 Pali Durell Vineyard Pinot Noir

Add Reply

Likes (0)