Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Great topic.  Not necessarily 'great' wines, but some of my go tos...

Soave DOC, they had the 2018 Pra' Otto at SD wine co for $14.99.  I think DOC reg is at least 90% garganega.  Anselmi makes a good IGT, it  is 100% Garganega, but something he does is not DOC permitted.  The San Vincenzo bottling is typically the best received.

Albarino from Galicia, try Pazo de Senoras, I believe Vintage wines usually carries this

2nd the Gruner Veltliner.   The Smaragd bottlings in general are the highest quality, some even maybe great, with FX Pilcher being a benchmark.  Never seen them locally, so wine-searcher is your best bet, at least when the weather cools down.

No love for Chenin Blanc? From the Loire and South Africa. I'm sure you don't need to be told about Huet (any bottling) and maybe not Baumard (Clos du Papillon) in Vouvray. An excellent QPR is the white Chinon from Couly-Dutheil (Les Chanteaux).

From South Africa, the ancient vine series with unpronounceable names from Sadie Family, single vineyard old vines from Badenhorst and the FMC from Ken Forrester.

Riesling.

Oh wait...ok fine, excluding Riesling, I would also point out Grüner Veltliner, which I've been exploring a bit recently. The typical "big" names are producers like FX Pichler, Hirtzberger, Knoll, etc...their Smaragds can be impressive, but are big wines. I would check out Prager, whose wines are much fresher and energetic.

I love Gewurztraminer as well, but it is not the kind of wine I want on a regular basis.

Most obvious answer is Chenin Blanc.

An extremely versatile grape which pairs splendidly with seafood and can substitue Sauvignon Blanc no problem in many a circumstance. People generally find it is far less challenging and far more forgiving than Sauvingon Blanc and is certainly more useful in many a setting.

My recommendation along with Chenin Blanc would be a very little known grape called Romarantin. I have had the pleasure of discovering this grape in it's native Cour Cheverny Apellation and can hand on heart say it lends itself to the most complex and structured white wine I have ever known. If you are hankering after a white wine which has the structure, complexity and character of a composed red then look no further than Romarantin. It really is a revelation.

My recommendation along with Chenin Blanc would be a very little known grape called Romarantin. I have had the pleasure of discovering this grape in it's native Cour Cheverny Apellation and can hand on heart say it lends itself to the most complex and structured white wine I have ever known. If you are hankering after a white wine which has the structure, complexity and character of a composed red then look no further than Romarantin. It really is a revelation.

After having spent a ton of money and a liver on my wine education I thought I knew quite a bit, but then I read this. Never heard of Romarantin before and I've even been to the Loire valley.

Checking our local wine monopoly's website I see they usually do get some, two of which are from Domaine des Huards. Their 2018 Romo bottling is on our shelves now. Any comments on this producer Christophe? And welcome to the forums.

While less than 5% of what’s produced in the appellation, there are excellent whites coming out of Chateauneuf du Pape and because of the appellation rules there’s a ton of variety. Roussanne and Grenache Blanc are probably the top two grapes but there’s also some wonderful Clairette as well..and lots of blends with these grapes.

Viognier from Condrieu (Northern Rhone) is another favor of mine of late. Viognier is the only permitted varietal.

@steve8 posted:

No love for Chenin Blanc? From the Loire and South Africa. I'm sure you don't need to be told about Huet (any bottling) and maybe not Baumard (Clos du Papillon) in Vouvray. An excellent QPR is the white Chinon from Couly-Dutheil (Les Chanteaux).

From South Africa, the ancient vine series with unpronounceable names from Sadie Family, single vineyard old vines from Badenhorst and the FMC from Ken Forrester.

As usual with wine or music recommendations from Steve I can just say ditto.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.