Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

ypak: First, I would suggest doing a search on the forums - you will be obliterated by information on this topic.
I do not have experience with the Vinotemp line, but purchased a Eurocave this summer and have really enjoyed it. It is going to be more than $1,600, but I suggest checking it out. If you are firmly set in that price range, I would also look into the Transtherm units. I believe these are made by Eurocave.

Finally, you will probably hear this again, but buy bigger than you think you will need. Hope that helps.
My 2 cents,

Look into Eurocave. There are specials from time to time and you may just find a 260 unit with no glass doors for your price. From time to time I see great deals on craigslist as well.

I know its slightly larger than you wanted but trust me, you won't ever regret it and you may actually realize how handy the extra space is when your cellar grows/ When you come across the Mondavi Reserve for $30 a bottle (like I did last week) you will have no reason not to stock up with a case or two. Smile
I am another Eurocave user. I have a 520...started out with a 260 and added a second unit on. I am quite pleased with them overall. My one beef was I hated the "one" sliding and mostly bulk shelving configuration that they originally came with. I have since went to all sliding shelves and am MUCH happier. This however was a very expensive option that adds heavily onto the price.
Even with the 520 I have stretched my collection beyond and taken off-site storage. In hind-site I should of just stuck with one 260 and went off-site with everything else. I recommend if you have good off-site available just go with a unit big enough to keep what you want on hand and put everything else in off-site storage.
I have a Vinotemp 182 that I recently purchased from Costco. I have had no complaints but its still new. After considering retail price verus wholesale price and shipping I decided on this one. I realize its tough to beat a eurocave but for modest wines I own and that I plan not to store for them a great period of time it suits me very well. And Yes, size does matter :-) Get the biggest one you can.
quote:
Originally posted by baja:
I have since went to all sliding shelves and am MUCH happier. This however was a very expensive option that adds heavily onto the price.

It also kills your capacity. I went the other way and only have 3 sliding shelves in each of my Eurocaves. Most of my wine is in need of some more years of aging, so it's no problem burying it on a 80 bottle bulk shelf.

Another vote for Eurocave. And buying bigger than you ever think you'll need.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by baja:
I have since went to all sliding shelves and am MUCH happier. This however was a very expensive option that adds heavily onto the price.

It also kills your capacity. I went the other way and only have 3 sliding shelves in each of my Eurocaves. Most of my wine is in need of some more years of aging, so it's no problem burying it on a 80 bottle bulk shelf.

Another vote for Eurocave. And buying bigger than you ever think you'll need.

PH

Yes...you are correct it does cut down on capacity but makes life so much easier Smile It also provides for much better circulation as I also had a mold issue form in one of my bulk areas of storage.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.