What 2009 Bordeaux did you buy?

I've bought more Bordeaux from this vintage than any other, but it's still a modest amount...this the first really good vintage since I've gotten into this "hobby":

Rauzan Segla
Grand Puy Lacoste
Batailley
Senejac

Still looking to pick up Leoville Barton, Gruaud Larose, D'Issan, and maybe a few others...
quote:
Originally posted by welshstar:
Novice question

I did grab two cases of lilian ladouys, it's drinking really well right now, what is the opinion on its drinking window ?

Please consider this my first en primeur so I'm gathering info

Alan


Good question Alan, and good move picking up 2 cases. I remember buying my first full case on futures, and drinking it within 5-6 years because I didn't have many aged wines at the time. It could have aged longer. That gives you the opportunity to sample them over time and 1) see how it evolves, and 2) have a few left for when it is at its peak, and 3) a couple left to see how long it will go.

That said, I have Lilian Ladouys on the buy list, but haven't tasted it yet. Based on other 2009s in the price range, and past experience with similar wines and good vintages - the should start to drink nicely soon, and go easily to 10 years or more, perhaps 12 -15. With 2 boxes, hopefully you can save a few for well down the road. The important question is at what stage of evolution you prefer it. Drink 1 or 2 a year and you'll find out. For me, my guess would be at 8-12 yrs.
I originally started drinking wine in the early 80's and good Bourdeaux was accessible back then in the UK. I stopped for a long time and restarted now im in the US, i have fallen in love with US Rhone styles and what conccerns me is that every time i now try a Bordeaux especially anything older the fruit is just not that present, I know this is a huge oversimplification and that claret will increase in subtlety and complexity but do you think in 10 years it will still have teh fruit of today.

Again, please dont jump on this as sounding stupid, i know every region has huge differences.
I only bought for now:

Clos Marsalette Pessac-Léognan
Château Sénéjac Haut-Médoc
Château Doisy-Daëne Grand Vin Sec

Planning to focus on 2010 for Bordeaux. Bought lots of 2009 Burgundy (including Beaujolais) and Northen Rhone, passing on Bordeaux.

I'm just missing an another vintage of the ccentury, that's all Razz
quote:
Originally posted by welshstar:
I originally started drinking wine in the early 80's and good Bourdeaux was accessible back then in the UK. I stopped for a long time and restarted now im in the US, i have fallen in love with US Rhone styles and what conccerns me is that every time i now try a Bordeaux especially anything older the fruit is just not that present, I know this is a huge oversimplification and that claret will increase in subtlety and complexity but do you think in 10 years it will still have teh fruit of today.

Again, please dont jump on this as sounding stupid, i know every region has huge differences.


No, I wouldn't expect it to have the fruit of today, but other changes may take place that you may, or may not enjoy. If you like youthful fruit, then you may want to drink more bottles sooner. If you open a couple per year, hopefully you'll see when they are no longer improving - in terms of you palate and tastes. Bordeaux at that level tend to evolve quicker than the big guns, in my experience, but can still evolve into something quite nice at 7 or 8 years and last a few more, especially in a good vintage.
2 x Cos d'Estournel
4 x Ducru Beaucaillou
2 x Leoville Las Cases
2 x Leoville Poyferre
6 x Monbousquet
6 x Mags Chateau Monbousquet
4 x Chateau Montrose
2 x Chateau Pavie
5 x Pontet Canet
3 x 1/2 d'Yquem
3 x 1/2 Rieussec
3 x La Fleur Petrus
3 x Carruades de Lafite
12 x Clos de Sarpe
12 x Le Gay
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
A lot of fine buying going on here.

Many of the reviews I have seen are saying these are 30-40 years wines for best drinking.
It will be fun to compare 00, 05, 09 and 10 down the road when they are ready. 09 and 10 will be especially fun since there seems to be a split as to which is the better vintage. I think most agree 10 will outlive 09, but 09 has a lot of fans as well. Most of my friends that are ITB prefer 10, but I haven’t tasted enough to form an opinion. The 00’s were good to Bordeaux that is for sure.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
A lot of fine buying going on here.

Many of the reviews I have seen are saying these are 30-40 years wines for best drinking.
It will be fun to compare 00, 05, 09 and 10 down the road when they are ready. 09 and 10 will be especially fun since there seems to be a split as to which is the better vintage. I think most agree 10 will outlive 09, but 09 has a lot of fans as well. Most of my friends that are ITB prefer 10, but I haven’t tasted enough to form an opinion. The 00’s were good to Bordeaux that is for sure.


Most of the 2009s I've tasted have been pretty open for business(nothing classified though). I have not tried any 2010s yet.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
It will be fun to compare 00, 05, 09 and 10 down the road when they are ready


I am trying to get there of course with a "pedestrian" daily drinker. I have 00, 05 and a futures order of the 2010 of Les Ormes de Pez. Will look for the 09. I was thinking having them in a mini vertical in 2015. Do you think it is worth adding the 03 to the lineup?
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
It will be fun to compare 00, 05, 09 and 10 down the road when they are ready


I am trying to get there of course with a "pedestrian" daily drinker. I have 00, 05 and a futures order of the 2010 of Les Ormes de Pez. Will look for the 09. I was thinking having them in a mini vertical in 2015. Do you think it is worth adding the 03 to the lineup?


I suppose it depends on your palate. I found that a lot of the 2003's were overblown and ripe for my tastes. Some were pruny although there were some very well made wines as well. You're probably safe with what you have though.
quote:
Originally posted by Danyull:
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
It will be fun to compare 00, 05, 09 and 10 down the road when they are ready


I am trying to get there of course with a "pedestrian" daily drinker. I have 00, 05 and a futures order of the 2010 of Les Ormes de Pez. Will look for the 09. I was thinking having them in a mini vertical in 2015. Do you think it is worth adding the 03 to the lineup?


I suppose it depends on your palate. I found that a lot of the 2003's were overblown and ripe for my tastes. Some were pruny although there were some very well made wines as well. You're probably safe with what you have though.


Two years later but the night has come for this. Tomorrow will taste 95 00 05 09 and 10 of Ormes de Pez. Will try to take and post notes.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×