quote:
Originally posted by Parcival:
I was lured to buy the Lynx for the rotisserie and sear burner and the idea that this was truly a professional outdoor kitchen.

My Summit has a rotisserie and sear burner. I use both all the time.

I've posted this before, but the difference between the Genesis and Summit series is primarily BTU's, cooking area size and porcelain/stainless steel cooking grates and flavorizer bars.

Genesis:

38,000 BTU-per-hour input
12,000 BTU-per-hour input side burner
10,000 BTU-per-hour input sear station
Primary cooking area = 507 sq in
Warming rack area = 130 sq in
Total cooking area = 637 sq in
Porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grates
Porcelain-enameled Flavorizer® bars

Summit:

60,000 BTU-per-hour input
12,000 BTU-per-hour input flush-mounted side burner
6,800 BTU-per-hour smoker burner and stainless steel smoker box
10,600 BTU-per-hour input sear burner
10,600 BTU-per-hour infrared rear-mounted rotisserie burner
Primary cooking area = 624 sq in
Warming rack area = 145 sq in
Total cooking area = 769 sq in
Tuck-Away™ rotisserie system with flip-up motor and separate spit and fork storage in the enclosed cart
2 Grill Out® handle lights
Lighted control knobs
Snap-Jet™ individual burner ignition system
3/8 inch or 9mm diameter stainless steel rod cooking grates
Stainless steel Flavorizer® bars

Also, the Genesis has 3 burners plus the sear station; whereas the Summit has 6 primary, plus the sear burner, smoker box and infrared rotisserie burner.
JC- I think you can tell by this thread that cheap is not the way to go on the grill. The weber I'm using now is my first and I have absolutely no regrets, I would do it again in a minute. Much better cooking than any other grill I've owned, and so far about 10 years old so probably good value from that standpoint too.
quote:
Anybody ever cooked on a Fire Magic? They fairly consistently get top "grades" among professional cooks, but this brand is also perhaps the most expensive I have ever seen

Fire Magic is really good. I have two older FM built in's in my back yard. I also have a standalone Weber Genesis and it's my favorite and costs less.
quote:
Originally posted by Lakersguy:
quote:
Anybody ever cooked on a Fire Magic? They fairly consistently get top "grades" among professional cooks, but this brand is also perhaps the most expensive I have ever seen

Fire Magic is really good. I have two older FM built in's in my back yard. I also have a standalone Weber Genesis and it's my favorite and costs less.

Glad to see this thread come back . .

Lakersguy . . . so you like the Weber better than your two Fire Magics? That says something.

Last year, I bought a 42" Lynx floor-model at 50% off retail so it wound up being a little less expensive that a Weber Summit series. Loving that so far and get less flares than I did with my old Weber. That said, not all that concerned about the flares that I used to get or still do get -- that's why I have a handy water spray bottle handy when I'm grilling
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lakersguy:
quote:

Glad to see this thread come back . .

Lakersguy . . . so you like the Weber better than your two Fire Magics? That says something.

Last year, I bought a 42" Lynx floor-model at 50% off retail so it wound up being a little less expensive that a Weber Summit series. Loving that so far and get less flares than I did with my old Weber. That said, not all that concerned about the flares that I used to get or still do get -- that's why I have a handy water spray bottle handy when I'm grilling
I think the Weber is everybit as good as my Fire Magic's however, to be fair, my fireMagic's are old. I've replaced everything in them, burners, grills, etc., and I still would get the Weber. The new Fire Magic's are really nice but would cost $500.00 more than the Weber, each.
I'm going to buy a new Weber grill in the next 1-2 weeks.

I'm trying to decide between stainless steel or porcelain-enameled cast iron grates.

I'd be interested in feedback from forum members that have used either surface and the pros and cons of each.
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
I'm going to buy a new Weber grill in the next 1-2 weeks.

I'm trying to decide between stainless steel or porcelain-enameled cast iron grates.

I'd be interested in feedback from forum members that have used either surface and the pros and cons of each.

My first vote would be for traditional cast iron. A little more work, but the superior grate. Then, enamel coated cast iron. Almost as good, and a little easier to clean. Last, stainless. These won't retain heat nearly as well, and if you like some stripes on your grilled food, stainless is not so good. Stainless is the easiest on clean up.

I've used all three, and am back to cast iron on my current Weber.

PH
I can't claim the range of experience of PH, but I have no trouble putting cross stripes on my steak and chicken using stainless with a properly pre-heated grill. Regarding porcelain-enameled, I can only say that my brother's grill grates didn't last very long.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
We have used all and I also use cast iron grates

+1

Last year we retired the old Weber and got a new Genesis II E-610. I again passed on the side burner and doors.

The old one needed a refresh, new grates and guts, but it really wasn't meeting our needs anymore so I donated it to a neighbor who did the rehab and gave it to his son. It lives on.

I needed something I could cook for 100 people on, and the Genesis has come through on that. My only issue so far was I cooked the temp gauge by leaving all the burners on high too long. Too long was just a couple minutes so it heats super fast compared to the old one. I've also found the warming rack on this one un-intrusive so it's remained in place.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
Thank you for the feedback, everyone.

Please let us know which way you went, and why.

PH

No decision yet, PH. I will probably pull the trigger this weekend.

I was initially leaning toward the porcelain-enameled cast iron grates (I don't believe the Genesis II has an option for cast iron that is not coated), but now, based on the feedback from this thread, and with others through PMs, I am leaning toward stainless.

The argument for cast iron seems to be heat retention and a better sear on food, whereas stainless heats up quicker and is easier to clean/maintain.

I am reading here, and others have told me, that the stainless steel will sear just fine, and I've been told that if the porcelain chips the cast iron will rust.

Now, I'll pause and allow the cast iron advocates an opportunity to dissuade me. Smile
Some stainless will last forever, but a cheap grade will only last you a few years.

My cast iron grates are 7 (?) years old now, and still just fine. I use a heavy wire brush on the grates immediately after finishing. I'll give the grates a wipe down with oil on a paper towel while the grates are still hot. They are good to go for the next grill session.

PH

Is it literally the plastic knob that broke or the internal switch the knob connects to that broke?  Either way, Weber is really good about keeping replacement parts for their grills available online.  Should be hard to find a replacement part.  One of the main reasons I've been a Weber fan all these years.  The ability to get replacement parts when needed.

Try amazon for your knob replacements.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=web...amp;ref=nb_sb_noss_1

After twice replacing both the rusted out flavour bars and cast iron grill with crazy expensive OEM parts, this time I ordered third-party parts on amazon at a fraction of the price. Based on online reviews I thought I'd try stainless steel grills and so far, so good. The surface width of the grill bars is wider than with the cast iron grill, so the grill pattern on food looks different. But it still does a good job of searing food.

Add Reply

Likes (0)