Hey everyone! I'm sort of new to DC. I don't see a big DC offline presence....and I can't believe that there isn't a wine crowd here. My wife are always up for big or small gatherings to taste and appreciate good wine!
Original Post
One of my first ever offlines was with the D.C. Crew. Great group. They don't post much here anymore. Hopefully they can reach out to you.
I'll echo DD here, my first offline was with the DC crew and they were great.

Purple Haze is most active here, but Lentini, Jersey Foodies, Sibster, Newsguy, etc. are all great, hopefully they will chime in.

If you can get a dinner together I'd love to head out and see those guys.
The group that started here 10+ years ago has distilled a little.

I think I can speak for the remainders that we'd love to raise a glass with you both.

Shoot mail to purplehaze1956 yahoo. Post here when you do, as I check that account rarely.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
is baltimore close to dc? =)

i'm gonna be down there april 20th


G-man...I live in Baltimore. Where are you staying?
g-man! Close enough. I shot an e-mail out to the usual suspects. I've heard from irwin who's likely able to meet up. I'll see who else is interested. Are you solo?

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
The group that started here 10+ years ago has distilled a little.

I think I can speak for the remainders that we'd love to raise a glass with you both.

Shoot mail to purplehaze1956 yahoo. Post here when you do, as I check that account rarely.

PH


Agree with PH, would be great to meet you franch and raise a few glasses.

Gman i will likely be coming back from NY on the 20th so will probably miss this. Enjoy!
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
g-man! Close enough. I shot an e-mail out to the usual suspects. I've heard from irwin who's likely able to meet up. I'll see who else is interested. Are you solo?

PH


Gonna be with full family. At the Westin Baltimore
So far, it's irwin and I. Still waiting for the rest of the gang. Most have kids, so am expecting nothing until the weekend is over...

PH
Nice thread hijack, g-man! Wink

franch, I hope you can make it to this event and experience the chemistry and camaraderie that is a WS offline.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
franch, I hope you can make it to this event and experience the chemistry and camaraderie that is a WS offline.

Ditto
Was not my first offline but the folks in DC/MD were very accommodating in 2008 when I rolled into town. Offline went sooo well I opted to book myself a 2nd hotel room next door to restaurant so I would not need to drive afterwards. If I recall a 94 Dominus was consumed on that night (my favorite Dominus vintage and one of my favorite meritage).
The DC Cru still exists, it just tends to arrange its off-lines through Facebook these days.

It would be nice to get the old Cru together again, it has been a while since PH, James, PoolBoy, Dave, T-Rep, Doc, Alex, et all got together.

Some are still around, some moved out of the area, and some just dropped off the face of the earth.
The "original" DC Cru was active well before I popped onto the boards. din, you'll have to help me here, but I'm pretty sure their genesis was another DC based board which is now defunct. There was some cross posting and cross pollination between the two while both were still active. I can't recall the name of the board to save myself though.

We started the DC WS offline group since there was little offline activity on WS. We had our inaugural offline in September of 2005. Time flies!

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
The "original" DC Cru was active well before I popped onto the boards. din, you'll have to help me here, but I'm pretty sure their genesis was another DC based board which is now defunct. There was some cross posting and cross pollination between the two while both were still active. I can't recall the name of the board to save myself though.

We started the DC WS offline group since there was little offline activity on WS. We had our inaugural offline in September of 2005. Time flies!

PH


I think it was the now defunct vinocellar.com

If I remember there was a dinner at Equinox when Jake was not quite 15, so over 14 years ago.
Great seeing you and the fam last night, g-man. Thanks for bringing that Fonseca. I can still taste it.

franch - sorry you couldn't make this mini-offline. We'll keep you posted on future get-togethers.

PH
That drive back was brutal. But I did manage to pick up some m&g crab cakes!

Thanks again for the offline DC crew!
quote:
franch - sorry you couldn't make this mini-offline. We'll keep you posted on future get-togethers.


please do!

and wait, did someone say Fonseca?
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
That drive back was brutal. But I did manage to pick up some m&g crab cakes!

Thanks again for the offline DC crew!


Great to meet you and your wife and kids. The port was great! The current WS magazine issue has an article about food and wine pairing, and, oddly does not mention port with crab dip!
Anyway, let us know how you like the G&M crabcakes compared to those we had Thursday night.
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
... let us know how you like the G&M crabcakes compared to those we had Thursday night.


I am confident he will like them a lot more. The ones at CG were just ok.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
let us know how you like the G&M crabcakes compared to those we had Thursday night.


How do they compare to those at the Eagle Grill?
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Great seeing you and the fam last night, g-man. Thanks for bringing that Fonseca. I can still taste it.

franch - sorry you couldn't make this mini-offline. We'll keep you posted on future get-togethers.

PH


Sorry to miss this, curious as to what did you guys drink. Please post PH or Irwin ot Gman.
i brought a 1988 dom ruinart and a 1977 fonseca.

i'll let the other folks chime in as barring the port, i 'll admit i wasn't paying as much attention since my gift of gab took over.

that and i only remember teh port because i was forcing irwin and jb to try the crab dip and port =)
Sorry to miss you, Meringue. Standouts were a 1988 Dom Ruinart, a 2002 Pol Roger Cuvee Winston and a stunning 1977 Fonseca VP. The 2002 Cuvee Winston was a tad young. I'll hold my remaining 2 for at least 5 years. The Dom Ruinart was fabulous. The Fonseca was my WOTN by a good bit. Irwin and Festiva both brought lovely Champagnes which I neglected to write down.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Sorry to miss you, Meringue. Standouts were a 1988 Dom Ruinart, a 2002 Pol Roger Cuvee Winston and a stunning 1977 Fonseca VP. The 2002 Cuvee Winston was a tad young. I'll hold my remaining 2 for at least 5 years. The Dom Ruinart was fabulous. The Fonseca was my WOTN by a good bit. Irwin and Festiva both brought lovely Champagnes which I neglected to write down.

PH


Thanks, sounds like a fun night. We gotta get together soon.
Mine was a H. Blin NV. No where near the Pol Roger or the Dom in quality, but not bad. Sorry about shooting the cork across the room when I opened it guys, but it was less embarrassing than the time Festiva started the fire in the bread basket at the old Rooster Cafe.

No question that the Fonseca was the WOTN.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
let us know how you like the G&M crabcakes compared to those we had Thursday night.


How do they compare to those at the Eagle Grill?


Of course, the G&M crabcakes are the best. Not saying Eagle Grill crabcakes are bad, but, I'm partial to the G&Ms.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I guess I need to try them.

Come on up! It's just 10 minutes from the airport. You could go to a Yankee-Oriole game!
I think franch has something here. Baltimore. Crab cakes. Whatever wine you think works with crab. Table on the water.

PH
Any chance of people being around DC the last week of the year? Will be in town Dec 26-29 and would enjoy meeting/catching up with the DC/Maryland crew. Last time we meet up was in 2008 I think.

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×