I'm looking to purchase as much of this stuff as possible. Please email me at pj@jrkmgmt.com on how much you want to sell yours for. Cheers.
Original Post
Pyang, $480 seems like the price you would pay retail for this. Am I wrong? Everytime I check winebid.com I see stuff going for the same price or higher than Premier Cru or a decent retail sale price. So far it looks like a better place to sell than a to buy. I am sure there are the occasional steals but do many people walk away with good deals on; Mortet,Ramonet, Raveneau, Harlan, Marcassin, or Chateau Lafite?

I have been buying my hard to find stuff from K&L, Premier Cru, and Woodland Hills at pretty good prices without the bid hassel.

Is there a strategy for buying a 99' Harlan at say $200 on winebid.com instead of $300 which I can do in the Twin Cities?
Last edited {1}
montrachet61,

For popular cults or top French wines, it's difficult to find a good deal but not impossible. These type of wine have plenty of people looking for them, so it often time fetch a high premium. In PJ's case it might make sense for him to purchase at winebid, as he is looking for as much as he can find, so it's one stop shopping instead of sourcing from many outlets. In the case of one or two bottles are enough, then local retailers may be a better way to go.

To find good deals of wine in this category, I would look more in the older vintage Bordeaux. Often time, you can find good years of First Growth at a better price than retail, but if you are looking for good deals on great years, that may be tough.

Now, if we are just talking about good deals in general, there are plenty that can be found on winebid, Eric White can certainly chime in on this as well. Wink

Do remember this also depends on what you are looking for, but here are some examples of my purchases since I started buying from winebid in 2002...

2001 Peter Michael Belle Cote Chardonnay $35
1999 Peter Michael Mon Plaisir Chardonnay $35
1995 Hartwell Sunshine Vineyard Cab mag $150
1992 Hartwell Sunshine Vineyard Cab mag $140
most of 90's Kenwood Artist Series for $35-$40
1990 Beringer Private Reserve Cab $55
2001 Barnett SMD Cabernet Sauvignon $35
1996 Beringer Private Reserve Cab $45
1988 Beringer Private Reserve Cab $40
1993 David Arthur Meritaggio $20
1998 David Arthur Cabernet Sauvignon $40
1993 Whitehall Lane Morisoli Vineyard Cab $35
1975 Leoville Las Cases $75
1992 Viader $45

I think if you look on winesearcher, all these wines I listed are at a price of at least 30% below medium retail price and often times more than 40% below.

Hope this answers your question. Smile

---------------------------
www.winebid.com
2004 Whirlwind Tour
I dont think you will find to many people selling a wine that goes for 300 for 200. If a wine comes out and its 200 but since it is rare and there is a big demand for the wine its real value is 300. To try and get the wine for 200 and think it could be bought for 200 is not really realistic. The demand and what people are willing to pay sets the price on anything. If a house is worth 400k but the people only paid 200k for it a few years ago I dont think they would sell it for 220k now. The market is 400k and only a fool would not expect to get the current market price for what they are selling.
Terps my point was that if I am going to pay top price for wine, in this case $300 for a 99' Harlan, then I am not going to go through the biding process. I'll just pick it up through Premeir cru or my local retailer and get the wine pronto. I have a local retailer who stores the good stuff like Harlan in a temp controled area. Why pay $300 for unknown provenance. I would only go through the bid process if I could save at least $50 btl on the 99' Harlan.

It sounds to me like there are good deals on WineBid.com or any auction if you are shopping for less coveted items that the seller wants to move. I think the auction also make since like Pyang said if you want qty.

Put another way, if I need to liquidate my collection tomorrow I'm calling Winebid.com
quote:
Originally posted by montrachet61:
Why pay $300 for unknown provenance.

montrachet61,

This sentence I have slight issue with. All wines auctioned on winebid will have to go through individual bottle inspection. We do our best to verify the provenance of a wine we auction on the website.

You may or may not agree on this, but any retail shop, no matter how close or far away from the winery, you can't guarantee on the provenance of the wine 100%. Wineries or distributors using 100% temperature transport is next to none, likely not in existence at all, period.

Provenance is a touchy subject with any type of wine merchant. Distributors deliver wines to retail shops 365 days a year, for the most part, they are not temperature controlled trucks. Think about that.

---------------------------
www.winebid.com
2004 Whirlwind Tour
Pyang, you are probably mostly right about provenance. There are no guarantees. There are also local retailers that I no longer buy from because of their storage conditons. In my example of the 99' Harlan. I would personally feel a little safer buying this from my local retailer who got it from the winery rather then Winebid.com who may have gotten it from an individual, who got it, who knows where? I know how the retailer stored the Harlan after he got it but no one knows for sure how the the winebid.com seller stored his other than his claim. I also think the wine would have been handled/shipped a couple times in a winebid.com transaction before reaching me. That said, I am probably jumping into the unknown when I buy something from Premeier Cru that they got from an individual as when I would buy from Winebid.com. But I don't have to bother biding.

I am sure that winebid.com trys hard to know the product but somethings are just unknowable in that situation IMO. If the bottle looks good and the capsule spins you are still largely releying on the seller's statements about storage.

I wish we all knew for sure how much abuse wine can actually take and still be in great shape. Provenance is difficult.
Some day wine will get the same respect that milk does -- verifiable temp control for its entire journey to the store.

However, what you do with it once you buy it is your own business, but not too many people resell milk.
In response to txtaster comment about milk, that may be a good reason to start a business in a particular part of the country where you offer temp. controlled trucks and such to deliver wine in the best possible shape. It would take a lot of start up capital, but if marketed correctly could be a very sucessful business venture.

IW

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.<br /><br />I believe we have 2 lives; the life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.