Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
I am leaving for Norway Sunday, so as long as it's not next week, I will try to work my schedule around it. Have two kids 4 and 1 1/2 year old, but a very understanding wife, so just need a little notice.

I have white and red both, still have one bottle 17th Nail I've been wanting to open.

Kids are invited along to my place. I have three rugrats.

17th Nail! Nice... Always wanted to try one.

Paul - That's good news. Okay, we're narrowed down to After Next Week through Before Three Months.
quote:
Originally posted by Lentini:
quote:
I am leaving for Norway Sunday, so as long as it's not next week, I will try to work my schedule around it. Have two kids 4 and 1 1/2 year old, but a very understanding wife, so just need a little notice.

I have white and red both, still have one bottle 17th Nail I've been wanting to open.

Kids are invited along to my place. I have three rugrats.

17th Nail! Nice... Always wanted to try one.

Paul - That's good news. Okay, we're narrowed down to After Next Week through Before Three Months.

Thanks for the offer, but I'd like to plan a weekend away with my wife. I am sure with 3 kids you can relate to that!

As for the date, you guys that are local should set it, and I will try to work it into my schedule.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by newsguy:
i think you need a wine lover with many years of professional writing experience to objectively chronicle this momentous occasion ...

Agreed.

I am in. Like Sibster, can bring some bubbly to get things started. Can bring/cook/grill food. And will write for wine. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
quote:
quote:
I have white and red both, still have one bottle 17th Nail I've been wanting to open...

17th Nail! Nice... Always wanted to try one...

My favorite EBA so far. 'Wishing I lived near enough to participate.

Stick: Dave from Denver flew to D.C. last September for our Tok Kalon offline. And Jace had a BBQ offline last week to make a return visit by Dave. So check out airfares and see if this could work for you. Of course, there hasn't been a word said about a date yet.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I have white and red both, still have one bottle 17th Nail I've been wanting to open...

Stick: Dave from Denver flew to D.C. last September for our To Kalon offline. And Jace had a BBQ offline last week to mark a return visit by Dave. So check out airfares and see if this could work for you. Of course, there hasn't been a word said about a date yet.
Last edited by newsguy
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Stick: ... So check out airfares and see if this could work for you. Of course, there hasn't been a word said about a date yet.

I'm paying attention. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by IMKLP:
No SQN but I have an 85 Krug. Can I play?

Anyone who says no to this proposal should just hang their head and cry.... Wink

I might try to make this. I don't have much in the SQN department. Lentini is holding a couple of bottles for me, but I can't even say what they are. I could bring a Krug to pair if my young bottles aren't appropriate.

PH
quote:
Shall we tentatively schedule 11th August, then? This could go up to Medium Epic with the number of interested parties. It sounds like we'll have a wicked champagne course to wet our palates before the SQN.

PH, your bottles here are '09 Thrill of and '09 Upside Down.

Marking Aug 11 on my calendar. I am blown away at the line up for what would be my first offline.
There is likelihood our Next of Kyn provider is going to have to pull out or won't have NOK available... I'm getting clarification. If this becomes a Champagne/SQN pourdown, are people still in? We could proceed and try finding NOK if it works out... Or we could postpone (if plane tix aren't bought). I'd vote keeping the date... The champs and SQNs sound awesome.

Does anyone object to venue being my place? Location is south of Old Town Alexandria by about 10 min. Drivers from deep MD are welcome to crash the night.
Draft people and wine lineup:

Let me get a head count here... Someone check me... Let me know if I'm missing any +1s and such.

IMKLP
newsguy
sibster
patespo1 + 1
PurpleHaze
Lentini + 2

Looks like nine-ish people.

1985 Krug (IMKLP)
???? Krug (newsguy)
???? champagne (sibster or Lentini)

2007 Body and Soul White/2008 Kolibri White (patespo1)
2009 On The Lam White (Lentini)

2005 The 17th Nail in My Cranium Syrah (patespo1)
2007 Dangerous Birds Syrah (Lentini)
2009 The Thrill of... Syrah ? (PurpleHaze)
TBD SQN (Lentini or sibster)

I'll probably pop a That Type... of Rosay or something for the early birds.

Food suggestions?
i have been searching the online inventories of the usual D.C. area suspects and haven't been impressed with the selection or pricing of vintage krug with some age on it. so i will likely be buying something from an out-of-state shop and having it shipped overnight (because of the heat).

do folks think that two weeks to settle down after shipping would be sufficient for 15-or-so-years-old bottle of krug?

paul and karen, you will both be missed.
quote:
i will likely be buying something from an out-of-state shop and having it shipped overnight (because of the heat).

do folks think that two weeks to settle down after shipping would be sufficient for 15-or-so-years-old bottle of krug?

Be careful, newsguy. Even with an overnight ship, a bottle of good wine in an un-airconditioned delivery truck with a driver on a lunch break on a hot day will kill it deader than a doornail. And two weeks is plenty of time to rest.

I am thinking either a 1985 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Charlie or a 1995 Krug, depending on what newsguy comes up with.

PH
[/QUOTE]

Be careful, newsguy. Even with an overnight ship, a bottle of good wine in an un-airconditioned delivery truck with a driver on a lunch break on a hot day will kill it deader than a doornail. And two weeks is plenty of time to rest.

I am thinking either a 1985 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Charlie or a 1995 Krug, depending on what newsguy comes up with.

[/QUOTE]

PH: Yeah, I would normally never ship in the summer. And actually I've been eyeing a bottle of '95 Krug myself. There's a chance my GF might be able to pick up this bottle in person. I will e-mail you to discuss.

I'll keep you all apprised here.
Last edited by newsguy
quote:
Booked at the Marriott today, looking forward to a great night.

and we are looking forward to making your acquaintance. should be a great time.

i, meanwhile, am still trying to source the bottle of champagne i've been hoping to bring. a bit tricky since i've decided to follow PH's advice and not have a bottle shipped -- not even overnight.

hey folks, shouldn't we be talking food soon?
quote:
quote:
Booked at the Marriott today, looking forward to a great night.

and we are looking forward to making your acquaintance. should be a great time.

i, meanwhile, am still trying to source the bottle of champagne i've been hoping to bring. a bit tricky since i've decided to follow PH's advice and not have a bottle shipped -- not even overnight.

hey folks, shouldn't we be talking food soon?

Being a newbie to the offlines, I defer on the food. However, this time of the year we grill out most of the time. And again, we will help out however we are needed.
quote:
I like the idea of grilling. What would pair reasonably with these big reds? Newsguy... Didn't you have some rib recipe that was great? Want to help me do that? Any other suggestions? I can grill some mixed veggies as well. Some champagne-friendly apps...

well, we did that recipe for you and diane last summer, so you tell me... ;-) of course, we didn't quite have the cut of ribs we wanted, but it tasted damn good to me. i am always happy to do those ribs. a 2-day process, and well worth it.
That appetizer sounds great, PH.

As for my bottle, I've had no luck locally on the Krug. I have my eye on a 1999 Pol Roger Winston Churchill. If you wanna e-mail me, I'd love to hear your idea.

As for the food, I'm glad to "split" the ribs with Lentini (and/or anyone else) as the entree contribution. I am definitely willing to prepare them in advance and grill them onsite. I started wondering last night, though, whether these marinated, grilled ribs with their sauce would be too much in terms of flavor to truly be able to savor those SQN reds. I started thinking that maybe a handful of us could throw in to buy some good steaks, which would be quite enjoyable and still let the wines shine through.

as you can guess, i've never had a SQN red, so maybe if i had i might realize i'm worrying for no reason. feel free to talk me down off the ledge, folks. Wink

i just had a large unexpected expense that is making this offline a tough one for me, but i absolutely can't wait for all this great food and these remarkable wines. happy 50th to me. Big Grin
quote:
That appetizer sounds great, PH.

As for my bottle, I've had no luck locally on the Krug. I have my eye on a 1999 Pol Roger Winston Churchill. If you wanna e-mail me, I'd love to hear your idea.

As for the food, I'm glad to "split" the ribs with Lentini (and/or anyone else) as the entree contribution. I am definitely willing to prepare them in advance and grill them onsite. I started wondering last night, though, whether these marinated, grilled ribs with their sauce would be too much in terms of flavor to truly be able to savor those SQN reds. I started thinking that maybe a handful of us could throw in to buy some good steaks, which would be quite enjoyable and still let the wines shine through.

as you can guess, i've never had a SQN red, so maybe if i had i might realize i'm worrying for no reason. feel free to talk me down off the ledge, folks. Wink

i just had a large unexpected expense that is making this offline a tough one for me, but i absolutely can't wait for all this great food and these remarkable wines. happy 50th to me. Big Grin

Wow, celebrating a 50th, this will be a great night!

My wife and I both love Crab, so a big Yes on that

As for the main course, we are both big steak fans, and will be happy to go for that. I'm on the fence steaks/ribs; we had the 17th Nail once before, and I wouldn't want to take away from any of these wines.

In addition, since we are out of towners, any suggestions on places to grab some good sides, or maybe a some great desserts?
patespo1....

Typically, travelling offliners get a big pass on any food contributions. Considering your wine selection, I think that that pass gets amplified...... Wink

Ok on the crab canapes, then. I just wanted to make sure no one had any dietary or other restrictions on eating crab. Lentini, I'll need about 15 minutes of oven use to make it ready to serve.

newsguy, check your inbox.........but I'll bring a 1995 Krug for your contribution, properly chilled and ready to rumble.

I'll pull another Champagne (or two) for my part. Details to follow.

PH
I'm still in for champagne on this one. I will be bringing a 1996 Nicolas Feuillatte Palmes d'Or.

Now, PH, I know that you helped drink my other bottle of this, but I hope we all enjoyed it enough to accept my last bottle of this being popped - it was very tasty at CometSpider's a year or year and a half ago (whenever it was).
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
newsguy, check your inbox.........but I'll bring a 1995 Krug for your contribution, properly chilled and ready to rumble.

PH

PH: You rock. Thanks! And I'll bring cash.
BTW, no e-mail from you in my inbox.

Sibster: Nice selection. Looking forward to it.

Lentini: Maybe we can post an update of the wine/food selections.

Now we just gotta decide on steaks or ribs. Cast your vote, folks.
Last edited by newsguy
I was just typing this up, newsguy. Great minds...

2nd Draft of the lineup is looking great!

SQN/Champagne Pourdown and 50th Birthday Celebration

newsguy
sibster
patespo1 + 1
PurpleHaze
Lentini + 1/2 (that's not a half person... it's one or two)

Palate Wetter for early birds:
---2010 SQN "That Type... of Rosay" (Lentini)

Bubbly Course with Parmesan Crab Canapes
---1995 Krug (newsguy)
---1998 Krug (PurpleHaze)
---1996 Nicolas Feuillatte Palmes d'Or(sibster)

(How about a cheese course or salad course here?)
---2007 SQN "Body and Soul" White or 2008 SQN "Kolibri" White (patespo1)
---2009 SQN "On The Lam" White (Lentini)

Steak Assortment and Michael Mina's Truffled Mac n Cheese
---2005 SQN "The 17th Nail in My Cranium" Syrah (patespo1)
---2007 SQN "Dangerous Birds" Syrah (Lentini)

A little cake TDB... chocolate heavy
---Sauternes/Loire Sweeties and Ports will be available as needed

Maybe other surprises. We won't run out of red. Or bubbly.
Last edited by lentini
quote:
PH: You rock. Thanks! And I'll bring cash.
BTW, no e-mail from you in my inbox.

Confirmed the address, and that the mail was sent and not bounced. Strange. Resent the mail, so check again. Got you a little bit under budget to boot!

Sibster: Nice selection. Looking forward to it.

+1 Cool

Now we just gotta decide on steaks or ribs. Cast your vote, folks.

Not familiar with the rib recipe being discussed, but if it has a heavy spice or sauce component I'm thinking simple grilled steaks might make a better foil for serious reds.

PH
quote:
Palmes d'Or is one I've always wanted to try.

I've had it once since the offline where Sibster brought his last bottle. It was smokin' good the both times I had it, Lentini.

I recently got to cross Champagne Charlie off the bucket list (which was awesome).

That 1985 was singing, n'est ce pas? One of the best showings of that bottling in recent memory. I was going to bring the same wine, but will substitute a 1998 Krug to continue the theme.

PH
Wow, that lineup is looking freaking fantastic. And the wine variety: rose, champagne, whites, reds and a dessert wine of some sort. we really ought to do this more often.

i will still gladly do the ribs, and yes, there is a spice rub, marinade and sauce. my votes is steaks.

still no email, PH. how weird.

as for dessert, after those huge reds, i think a chocolate cake/dessert item of some type and vintage port would do the trick so would gentleman farmer's cheesecake and d'Yquem. Wink
quote:
Hopefully the variety will keep us from getting the kind of palate fatigue you get on, say, your 10th red wine in a row.

absolutely. and having had to taste 50 to 100 or more wines in a single day as i had to do professionally, i have had a trashed tongue more often than i'd care to admit.

that said, i do like your note about "we won't run out of red." when i saw that we only had 2 bottles to go with the entree, i immediately thought "wow, we could run out of red here."
Where is the 'my head is spinning' emoticon!

Great line up, my wife and I are really excited for the wines, the food, and the company.

I have both Body and Soul and Kolibri, is there a preference? We haven't tasted either. Or should we just bring/drink them both?

For the main course, I'm voting steaks. Keep it simple but great, and let the wines shine.
so far, me, patespo1 +1 and Purple Haze (based on his post) think steaks are the way to go. so unless Sibster and the host and his crew feel strongly about the ribs, the steaks appear to be the way to go (and certainly are the safest bet to not overpower the wines). i will gladly make those ribs another time.

so who wants to pitch in for the cost of the steaks as their food contribution? i'm in.

as far as where to buy them (and since i don't have a car), i would be limited to either getting them at whole foods (which has pretty good N.Y. strips) or let's meat on the avenue in del ray, a local butcher that's fairly expensive. i know he's getting in kobe top sirloin on friday, for example.

if i do purchase, i need to lug them around on metro, so it might be easier for someone else to buy.
quote:
so far, me, patespo1 +1 and Purple Haze (based on his post) think steaks are the way to go. so unless Sibster and the host and his crew feel strongly about the ribs, the steaks appear to be the way to go (and certainly are the safest bet to not overpower the wines). i will gladly make those ribs another time.

so who wants to pitch in for the cost of the steaks as their food contribution? i'm in.

as far as where to buy them (and since i don't have a car), i would be limited to either getting them at whole foods (which has pretty good N.Y. strips) or let's meat on the avenue in del ray, a local butcher that's fairly expensive. i know he's getting in kobe top sirloin on friday, for example.

if i do purchase, i need to lug them around on metro, so it might be easier for someone else to buy.
so who wants to pitch in for the cost of the steaks as their food contribution? i'm in. We are in on the steaks, will square up at dinner.
quote:
That sounds good. Any requests for certain cuts? I know my wife prefers a very fat-free filet. I'm more of a ribeye guy. Well, I'm actually a "porterhouse for two" kind of guy... but I'll try to contain myself.

My wife and I are more into the Ribeye / NY Strip cuts, something with a bit of fat/marbling.

Again, I know the rules for the out of towners, and we are grateful, but we want to pitch in as well.
Filet has become my least favorite cut with big reds lately. Need more fat/flavor. I think we should have a filet for Mrs. Lentini regardless. It's her damn house!

One vote for bone-in ribeye. The only problem for ribeye, for those that like their meat very rare, is that this cut actually needs to be cooked a little more to render out some of the internal fat.

Decisions, decisions.....

PH
I think cooking multiple cuts (with the exception of a filet for Mrs. L) would be a bit hard on the grillmeister, newsguy.

Porterhouse will fill the needs of the strip and filet lovers simultaneously. A good 2" porterhouse can serve two easily and provides both cuts on a nice bone.

Again on ribeyes, they really need to be cooked medium rare to medium at a minimum. It seems counterintuitive for those of us who prefer their meat less done, but the extra cooking time dissolves much of the internal fat yielding a very tender and flavorful steak.

Another alternative would be to get a few flat-irons, marinade them (in something not to strongly flavored) and thin slice them to serve. Great cut, lots of flavor and not so expensive either. Also will free up grill space. Unless Lentini has a monster grill, a bunch of porterhouses take up a lot of grill space.

PH
I agree with the two previous posters. It doesn't get much better than Chez Lentini.

And I'll keep an open mind on the steak and say to our host that I'll gladly take either a strip or one of the ribeyes you all are doing, whatever you think looks best at the meat counter. That's usually where I end of making my choice anyhow.

And put me down for making a side dish: Michael Mina's Truffled Macaroni and Cheese.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Less that a week. I'm psyched! Lentini - what time do you want us? Also, please confirm your address via text or e-mail. Thanks!

PH

Rob, email me as well about the details. We leave 8am,so should check in around 2pm. We may drop the bottles for decanting/chilling if that is good? and then do a couple hours of checking out D.C., depending on what time we are getting together.
quote:

Rob, email me as well about the details. We leave 8am,so should check in around 2pm. We may drop the bottles for decanting/chilling if that is good? and then do a couple hours of checking out D.C., depending on what time we are getting together.

I sent an email... Let me know if you don't get it. Yes, stopping by around 2pm should work. Just call my cell number to make sure I'm not out buying steaks. Yum.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.