mimik posted:

In your experience, it is better to call or place your order online?

There are, no doubt, others here who would be better to answer that.  Since I retired, my available wine spending $$$$$ has shrunk and I haven't bought from the Classics in a couple of years.

I went a little deeper than anticipated. 
Bolly GA
Jouvet Cornas
Equis Cornas
Produttori Montestefano

Have no previous experience with the Cornas producers but really enjoying the region so thought I'd take a shot. One thing that I've found about Cornas is that it can be enjoyable on the young side vs other serious wines from the old world.  

otw posted:

It simply blows me away that people are willing to pay $450 for Cliff Lede's 2016 Poetry Cab.  It sold out at that price.  Not so many years ago, the 2006 lingered on the shelf when it was priced at $126.

That one astounded me, too. About 5 years ago I bought a case of the 2007 in the US for $120 each and that felt pricey at the time. I like the wine, but these days I wouldn't even pay $120. Way too many other, better options at that price.

vinoevelo posted:
robsutherland posted:

I forgot about it and bought nothing. 

I wish i could have your strength of memory....

My memory is on par with Rob's. I even passed on ordering from the recent Courier Vinicole so I could buy a few Bolly's but proceeded to forget on Thursday morning.

steve8 posted:
vinoevelo posted:
robsutherland posted:

I forgot about it and bought nothing. 

I wish i could have your strength of memory....

My memory is on par with Rob's. I even passed on ordering from the recent Courier Vinicole so I could buy a few Bolly's but proceeded to forget on Thursday morning.

Same here, was aiming for some Bolly's and, IIRC, Produttori and forgot on Thurs AM.

Picked up singles and small quantities of a handful, mostly northern Rhone. Some big price differentials versus the U.S. and I didn't buy those wines. 

FRANÇOIS VILLARD JOUVET CORNAS 2016

EQUIS CORNAS 2015
VINS DE VIENNE LES BIEZ LIEU-DIT SAINT-JOSEPH 2016

BOEKENHOUTSKLOOF SYRAH 2015

MUGA SELECCIÓN ESPECIAL 2014

PROPHET'S ROCK HOME VINEYARD PINOT NOIR 2016

Brief notes of what I've opened so far...

MUGA SELECCIÓN ESPECIAL 2014 - Pure fruit, good length. Subtle oak - nowhere near as woody as the Rioja Reserva, and the better for it. Very tannic; needs 5-10 years. Decent QPR.

BOEKENHOUTSKLOOF SYRAH 2015
- Ripe but dry (verging on drying). Linear. S'alright. Didn't buy any to age.

PROPHET'S ROCK HOME VINEYARD PINOT NOIR 2016 - Pure cherry fruit. A bit unripe; lots of orange and persimmon but turns acidic and crunchy on the finish. Finish a bit thin and tannic. I'd like this at $40-ish.

VINS DE VIENNE LES BIEZ LIEU-DIT SAINT-JOSEPH 2016 - Ripe but balanced. Good length. Focused. Needs 3-5 years to open and will be in great form around 2025-2030. Decent QPR.

Add Reply

Likes (0)