Vintages November 10 2012

To some extent, I disagree. I can recommend any 2010 Rhones from Chapoutier, Jaboulet, and Rene Rostaing. I've tasted the 2009s, but based on the emerging picture of the 2010 vintage, I'd bet heavily on their 2010s. There are other similar examples.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
To some extent, I disagree. I can recommend any 2010 Rhones from Chapoutier, Jaboulet, and Rene Rostaing. I've tasted the 2009s, but based on the emerging picture of the 2010 vintage, I'd bet heavily on their 2010s. There are other similar examples.

Sticking up for him? Really Board-O?
quote:

Sorry Board-O.....have to disagree.....you have tasted multiple vintages so can comment with some knowledge.....I have never heard cono sur state that he has drank other vintages etc as a baseline for an opinion. Rather, he is making recs based on price and score which to me has little value
You mean that someone with this self-proclaimed expertise can't raise blind tasting to a new level - blind guessing:

"Now, I am highly regarded by friends and colleagues as a resource for when they need a wine for that special occasion - anniversary, birthday, wedding, gatherings at home, or when they want to impress their special friend or the In-Laws."
I'll play devil's advocate here. That is cono_sur's blog and as is the nature of blogs, it's a journal of one's opinion shared in public with others who have similar interest. He doesn't profess to be a wine critic like Beppi or Asper.

Back in the 90's when I switched from Finance to IT, I created a website about Toronto that was the equivalent to today's blogs. You make interesting connections but it took time and effort. Rather than just posting his views and opinions on a wine board like WS, cono_sur took the time to research and start a blog to share his passion. This is initiative and is commendable. This is social media. Choose to ignore rather than ridicule if it's not your fancy.
quote:
Originally posted by Stevey:
I'll play devil's advocate here. That is cono_sur's blog and as is the nature of blogs, it's a journal of one's opinion shared in public with others who have similar interest. He doesn't profess to be a wine critic like Beppi or Asper.

Back in the 90's when I switched from Finance to IT, I created a website about Toronto that was the equivalent to today's blogs. You make interesting connections but it took time and effort. Rather than just posting his views and opinions on a wine board like WS, cono_sur took the time to research and start a blog to share his passion. This is initiative and is commendable. This is social media. Choose to ignore rather than ridicule if it's not your fancy.

+1
If this were a high school forum we'd all be rounded up and arrested for bullying.
quote:

How is he any different from spam? There is a "shop" tab on his "blog" that has a direct links to amazon with, presumably, his own ID. By posting into a thread, week in and week out, with nothing but a link alluding to its relevance to the thread, he is, in essence, exploiting the traffic to the WS forum (i.e. spam).
quote:
Can you explain to me why you would even think of clicking on the link to his blog? Are you bored? Do you think it would be interesting? Are you masochistic? Do you enjoy reading the self-aggrandizing BS that you can be sure is on it?

Same reason why you read and responded to his "Various in Niagara" thread. I needed a quick laugh. Crazy
quote:
Originally posted by theweb:
quote:

+1
If this were a high school forum we'd all be rounded up and arrested for bullying.

+2
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
quote:

+1

+2

Good point Dave and Ross....
Certainly made me think about it in a different way, thanks for bringing us back.
quote:
quote:
quote:

+1

+2

I agree that cono_sur is entitled to his own opinion, but when you post in the public forum, you leave yourself open to any and all critiques, positive or negative. I am of the opinion that his website and recommendations are generally useless, and I will continue to voice this opinion whenever I choose to do so.
quote:
Originally posted by AML:

I agree that cono_sur is entitled to his own opinion, but when you post in the public forum, you leave yourself open to any and all critiques, positive or negative. I am of the opinion that his website and recommendations are generally useless, and I will continue to voice this opinion whenever I choose to do so.

Do whatever makes you feel better. Go for it. Me personally I find your constant bashing to be as useless as his recommendations. Why not just ignore and spend your time posting useful stuff, like your amazing tasting notes which I find to be some of the best on this Forum.

sorry, I don't mean to come across as an ass, I get your point. Cono Sur has never responded to anyone and continues to post so it's not going to change anything. Just best to ignore and carry on. My 2c
quote:
quote:

Do whatever makes you feel better. Go for it. Me personally I find your constant bashing to be as useless as his recommendations. Why not just ignore and spend your time posting useful stuff, like your amazing tasting notes which I find to be some of the best on this Forum.

sorry, I don't mean to come across as an ass, I get your point. Cono Sur has never responded to anyone and continues to post so it's not going to change anything. Just best to ignore and carry on. My 2c

Constant bashing? Are you sure you read my posts? My last 2 comments to the guy included a legitimate question about one of his choices, and the other was a positive statement about him now willing to spend out of his initial $20-$25 range. Prior to that, I can't even recall the last time I made a negative (or any) comment to the guy (I went back 4 months looking).
quote:
quote:
quote:

Constant bashing? Are you sure you read my posts? My last 2 comments to the guy included a legitimate question about one of his choices, and the other was a positive statement about him now willing to spend out of his initial $20-$25 range. Prior to that, I can't even recall the last time I made a negative (or any) comment to the guy (I went back 4 months looking).

sorry, I guess I was meaning 'group bashing'.
Anyway, I should have kept my mouth shut
Tasted these wines at the Oakville/Cornwall Rd store...

2001 BARON DE LEY GRAN RESERVA -- Lots of brett on the nose but most of it blows off a half hour or so later. Has a rich purple colour and ripe fruit aromatics, but is bone dry and astringent tasting. Palate is flat and fruit lean, and there's only tertiary flavours on the finish (very earthy). 84 pts? Pass for me.

2010 LE SERRE NUOVE DELL’ORNELLAIA -- Big disappointment. Green nose and palate (tobacco, stems). Is this a $10 red?! Could never place this as a Bolgheri wine. Nothing to suggest a tainted bottle. Not rated/pass.

2008 LA FORMICA AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA -- Very oxidized nose. Sour and very acidic finish. Technical problems? Horrible Amarone. Not rated.

Re the 2010 LE VIEUX DONJON CdP, has anyone tasted it? Overripe fruit and alcohol are always top-of-mind for me with CdP these days.
quote:
Originally posted by Darcy:
Tasted these wines at the Oakville/Cornwall Rd store...

2001 BARON DE LEY GRAN RESERVA -- Lots of brett on the nose but most of it blows off a half hour or so later. Has a rich purple colour and ripe fruit aromatics, but is bone dry and astringent tasting. Palate is flat and fruit lean, and there's only tertiary flavours on the finish (very earthy). 84 pts? Pass for me.

2010 LE SERRE NUOVE DELL’ORNELLAIA -- Big disappointment. Green nose and palate (tobacco, stems). Is this a $10 red?! Could never place this as a Bolgheri wine. Nothing to suggest a tainted bottle. Not rated/pass.

2008 LA FORMICA AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA -- Very oxidized nose. Sour and very acidic finish. Technical problems? Horrible Amarone. Not rated.

Re the 2010 LE VIEUX DONJON CdP, has anyone tasted it? Overripe fruit and alcohol are always top-of-mind for me with CdP these days.

I had the Baron de ley and liked it more than that for sure.....was 89pts at least

Never a huge fan of serre nuove.....
I completely agree with Darcy on the Baron de Lay. I decided instead to pick up a few bottles of the 2004 CVNE Vina Real from Classics to get my Rioja fix. Has anyone tried this yet?

I also tried the 2010 Vieux Donjon and found it quite enjoyable. I am very sensitive to high alc in wine but didn't find this to be a problem, at least not initially.
Re-tasted the 2010 LE SERRE NUOVE DELL’ORNELLAIA yesterday (at QQ). Tasted exactly the same as a bottle I tried in Oakville (my notes from QQ: Red pepper & plant stems on nose & palate. Fruit fades in 10-15 sec, leading to a chalky, tannic, abrasive finish. Poor. Pass). I don't know WTF Galloni was tasting when he gave it 91-93. He's got as much credibility with me as an 80s weatherman in a polyester suit. I've never claimed to be a tasting god, but really, this wine is 8+ points short of what he pegged it at, and a ringer for Ontario Meritage. $20 for this wine is $10 too much.

2007 RENATO RATTI MARCENASCO BAROLO -- Gorgeous nose of talc, musk and dried flowers -- but very oxidative already. The nose changed a whole lot over the 15 minutes I was at the tasting bar; clearly, not a sign of ageability given this is a baby of a wine. Spearmint, cherry sauce on the palate initially. Turns to ripe, stewed fruit on midpalate. Loads of cedar and stewed cherry on the finish. Tannins quite aggressive and will likely outlast the fruit. If you like an oxidized Barolo, then 90 pts, drink now/soon, with likes of tuna sashimi or tartare. Sanderson can keep all the bottles he likes through 2030.

2010 Vieux Donjon CdP -- Nose was precisely of mossy wood and fern (totally off-putting). Equally foul palate - like inhaling a Yankee Candle ("Cranberry Christmas Wreath" if they ever made one). WTF is going on here? Not rated/pass.

2006 CORTE PAVONE BdM -- Big popcorn/roasted nuts nose on top of solvent (linseed oil) aromatics. On palate, sweet fruit up front, but it fades fast. Finish is sour, acrid, chalky and metallic tasting. 84 points, maybe? "I'm definitely not 96 points on that." Pass.

2007 BERONIA RIOJA RESERVA 2007 -- Pleasant and authentic to style. Coconut, sandalwood, red cherry on nose. Replays on palate. Good length. Well balanced. A good Reserva (solid ~88 pts) and worth the $19. I grabbed a couple. And that's all I bought from this release.

The bottle I tried of the Vieux Donjon had to be off. Did anybody else taste it?
Thanks for the notes, Darcy. Your comment on the Le Serre Nuove is funny. "$20 for this wine is $10 too much." Considering the wine retails for $60, it's about $50 too much!

And I told you that you wouldn't like the Corte Pavone. Surprised you didn't get any barnyard on your bottle though.

Tried a bottle of the Beronia at the weekend and thought it was pretty decent also.
quote:
Originally posted by Darcy:
Re-tasted the 2010 LE SERRE NUOVE DELL’ORNELLAIA I don't know WTF Galloni was tasting when he gave it 91-93... this wine is 8+ points short of what he pegged it at, and a ringer for Ontario Meritage.

I would really hate to see this happen. Frown Red Face
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
Thanks for the notes, Darcy. Your comment on the Le Serre Nuove is funny. "$20 for this wine is $10 too much." Considering the wine retails for $60, it's about $50 too much!

And I told you that you wouldn't like the Corte Pavone. Surprised you didn't get any barnyard on your bottle though.

Tried a bottle of the Beronia at the weekend and thought it was pretty decent also.

The bottle of Corte Pavone I tasted didn't have any -- or maybe my nose stopped at the hydrocarbons. Definitely not enjoyable, and quite correct, I didn't like it. Beronia is decent. Nice QPR, will probably have it with a pasta/red sauce dish some time.
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Canada:
quote:
quote:
quote:

+1

+2

Good point Dave and Ross....
Certainly made me think about it in a different way, thanks for bringing us back.

Thank you all. I really couldn't have said it any better, Stevey.

WEc - The reason I don't read or respond to posts all the time is that I am busy doing other things (day job, tastings, day-to-day stuff, sleep, etc...). It was always my intent be an active participant on WS (there is lots of great info and discussion on here), but lack of time prevents me from doing so. I hope you understand. It's 11:48 pm and I need to sleep. Goodnight!
quote:
Originally posted by cono_sur:
WEc - The reason I don't read or respond to posts all the time is that I am busy doing other things (day job, tastings, day-to-day stuff, sleep, etc...). It was always my intent be an active participant on WS (there is lots of great info and discussion on here), but lack of time prevents me from doing so. I hope you understand. It's 11:48 pm and I need to sleep. Goodnight!

Good for you! Woot

Add Reply

Likes (0)