Vintages December 8 2012

I think it's good that they're offering top notch wine to taste, even though I agree it's hard to get a read off of 1/2 oz pours. my concern recently with the LCBO is the reluctance to put on a big tasting like they used to for the Classics collections. I used to go to 2 of these a year plus the UGC. Now it's just the UGC. unprofitable I guess.
quote:
Originally posted by vijay:
You can't fault the LCBO for following the 80-20 rule, it's just common business sense.

Hmmmm, someone using the phrase common business sense and the LCBO in the same sentence. Have to say that's a new one for me and one I never thought I'd see.
I think what I don't like about this is that the LCBO can make a tasting of high-end wines available to a subset of their market and then have absolutely no means of doing the same thing for the remaining 10 million of their consumers, granted I'll admit most of their ultra high-end market is within Toronto. I realize it will never be possible for the LCBO to make all consumers happy and this is generally a step in the right direction, however a few ideas for how they could have made this move more equitable:
- Email to vintages subscribers: "hey, were piloting a new program in Toronto to taste high-end wines"
- Install enomatic machines in key stores outside of the GTA. Even pretty high-end stuff could turnover in the 30 days it takes for the wine to oxidize, especially if there was only one key store all consumers in the region went to to taste.
- If they don't want to install enomatic machines in medium sized markrets (KW, Hamilton, London, Ottawa) put on tasting events. For a set fee open a few great bottles. Existing small marketing tasting events are a joke.

Regarding the LCBO making money on tasting bar wines. Last time I was at a tasting bar I did the math and found that on most higher end offerings they were not recouping their retail cost, not to mention the loss that can happen if the machine malfunctions (I have seen this twice now). I remember seeing Far Niente Cab for $1.25/oz about a year ago. Perhaps they are keeping tighter tab on pricing these days.

I do appreciate you posting on the availability however Futuronic. I might try to make it to that store this holiday season.
The LCBO is recouping the cost of the bottles on the Enomatic.

Consider the Masseto. $500/bottle retail, and tastes were $11.25 per 1/2 ounce. Let's assume there are three ounces of loss per bottle. 23oz = 46 1/2 ounce samples.

46 * $11.25 = $517.50.

The other wines were also covering their costs. Usually the LCBO uses a price bracket where wines in a certain price ranges cost $x.xx per sample, and others cost $y.yy.

And once again, this "high end tasting" wasn't a pilot program or anything of the sort. It was a one-off where they decided to put a bunch of great wine in for the holidays. The tasting bar usually has a selection of wines from the current Vintages release and is rotated bi-weekly at a variety of price points.

It's too bad the Store Locator on the LCBO/Vintages websites doesn't filter properly when searching for tasting bars. It used to, but now the new search doesn't work properly in that respect.

Tallgirl: The Oakville store at Trafalgar/Cornwall has more wines on tap than Queens Quay. Twice as many, I believe?
quote:
Originally posted by Beta P:
quote:
Originally posted by Fowler52:
quote:
quote:
Not sure if this interest anyone, but the following wines are in store discoveries.

Ramey Napa Valley Cabernet 2008 $59
Larrivet Haut Brion 2009 $53

These look to be decent values, but we'll
likely need to go to Oakville for ISDs. For
some reason, Burlington gets left out.

Or Stoney Creek, not to far of a drive.

Agreed, but still frustrating that Burlington's not included.

OMG, there are actually WS Forumites in Oakville/Burlington?! Eek We must offline!! Cool
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
The LCBO is recouping the cost of the bottles on the Enomatic.

Consider the Masseto. $500/bottle retail, and tastes were $11.25 per 1/2 ounce. Let's assume there are three ounces of loss per bottle. 23oz = 46 1/2 ounce samples.

46 * $11.25 = $517.50.

The other wines were also covering their costs. Usually the LCBO uses a price bracket where wines in a certain price ranges cost $x.xx per sample, and others cost $y.yy.

And once again, this "high end tasting" wasn't a pilot program or anything of the sort. It was a one-off where they decided to put a bunch of great wine in for the holidays. The tasting bar usually has a selection of wines from the current Vintages release and is rotated bi-weekly at a variety of price points.

It's too bad the Store Locator on the LCBO/Vintages websites doesn't filter properly when searching for tasting bars. It used to, but now the new search doesn't work properly in that respect.

Tallgirl: The Oakville store at Trafalgar/Cornwall has more wines on tap than Queens Quay. Twice as many, I believe?

First time I walked into the Oakville store I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. If it was closer to my condo I'd stop in every night on my way home. That said, last time I was there, about two weeks ago, 80%+ of the wines were low-end Frown But I'm gonna stop in next weekend to see for myself!
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Not sure if this interest anyone, but the following wines are in store discoveries.

OMG, there are actually WS Forumites in Oakville/Burlington?! Eek We must offline!! Cool

I'm down for an introduction to an offline. My cellar is very young, but I'm sure I could find something (depending on the grape).
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
Like the others said, Tallgirl, do come to an offline and drink their wine.

i'll see. still just a newb around here and getting used to the crowd. besides, looks like most people are in the gta. i'm not exactly in the area that often.
quote:

really? did not know there was a "flagship" store out in oakville .. i will have to check it out the next time i'm in the area.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm down for an introduction to an offline. My cellar is very young, but I'm sure I could find something (depending on the grape).

Cool Cool Cool

Let's try for something next month as I will be returning to Ottawa for Christmas in a week or so.
quote:
It's in the plaza with the Whole Foods. They have a locked walk-in cellar for their top wines also.

Commoners not allowed in the walk-in cellar unless accompanied by store staff. And the few times I've been at that store, staff are almost impossible to find.
quote:
Originally posted by TallGirl:
ottawa? check out the tasting bar at the rideau location. i hear they put in an enomatic machine at their tasting bar.

it may be the only one with a tasting bar. poor ottawa folks.

I know it well and am a regular visitor when I'm in town but it only offers about a dozens bottles - which is still better than none - but nothing like the 50+ offerings at the Oakville store

Add Reply

Likes (0)