Vintages December 8 2012

quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
Looks like the Grinch collaborated on this fine holiday release.
Actually I can still find at least a few good daily drinkers that I'll want to track down.
Lealtanza Rioja - running low on Rioja Eek
Clavel Pic St Loup - my favourite region of Languedoc
Wynns Cab
CASETTA VIGNA CASE NERE Barolo

Any experience with this one?

+1 on the Grinch comment. Not much here, but at least that leaves room to get more of items already in stores, Classics leftovers, the upcoming online auction....

Is it too early to comment about how anemic the biweekly offerings have been all year? It seems they have sucked it dry with all the other 'special' offers and programs.
quote:
Originally posted by vijay:
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
Looks like the Grinch collaborated on this fine holiday release.
Actually I can still find at least a few good daily drinkers that I'll want to track down.
Lealtanza Rioja - running low on Rioja Eek
Clavel Pic St Loup - my favourite region of Languedoc
Wynns Cab

Nevertheless, a pitiful few lumps of coal to put in your stocking! Roll Eyes
quote:
Originally posted by Fowler52:
Not sure if this interest anyone, but the following wines are in store discoveries.

Ramey Napa Valley Cabernet 2008 $59
Larrivet Haut Brion 2009 $53

These look to be decent values, but we'll likely need to go to Oakville for ISDs. For some reason, Burlington gets left out.
quote:
Originally posted by Beta P:
quote:
Not sure if this interest anyone, but the following wines are in store discoveries.

These look to be decent values, but we'll
likely need to go to Oakville for ISDs. For
some reason, Burlington gets left out.

Or Stoney Creek, not too far of a drive.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Beta P:
quote:

These look to be decent values, but we'll
likely need to go to Oakville for ISDs. For
some reason, Burlington gets left out.

Or Stoney Creek, not to far of a drive.

Agreed, but still frustrating that Burlington's not included.
For anyone in the area, the most ridiculous tasting bar is set up right now at the Queens Quay LCBO. Highlights include:

2009 Masseto
2006 L'Ermita
2006 Grange
2008 Insignia
NV Krug Grand Cuvee
2003 Dom Perignon Rose
NV Armand de Brignac Brut Gold Champagne
2005 Cristal
2008 Margaux
2009 Opus One
2009 Sassicaia
2009 Tignanello
2004 Masi Amarone della Valpolicella Mazzano
2004 Masi Amarone della Valpolicella Campolongo di Torbe
2007 Guigal Cote-Rotie Chateau d'Ampuis
2006 Guigal Ermitage Ex Voto Rouge
2006 d'Yquem
Two vintages of Haut Brion (didn't see which, but I think one is 2008)

... and a whole bunch more. They're also pouring Louis XIII for those that like Cognac.

Even for those from K-W, it's probably worth the drive in to taste the wines!
You can get four 1/2 oz pours or two 1 oz pours. I had 1/2 oz pours of the Masseto, L'Ermita, Grange, and Insignia. I was listing the other wines for people that might be interested in the rest of the selection available.

Heck, if I wanted to drop more cash, I could pop over tomorrow and try some more.
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
For anyone in the area, the most ridiculous tasting bar is set up right now at the Queens Quay LCBO. Highlights include:

2009 Masseto
2006 L'Ermita
2006 Grange
2008 Insignia
NV Krug Grand Cuvee
2003 Dom Perignon Rose
NV Armand de Brignac Brut Gold Champagne
2005 Cristal
2008 Margaux
2009 Opus One
2009 Sassicaia
2009 Tignanello
2004 Masi Amarone della Valpolicella Mazzano
2004 Masi Amarone della Valpolicella Campolongo di Torbe
2007 Guigal Cote-Rotie Chateau d'Ampuis
2006 Guigal Ermitage Ex Voto Rouge
2006 d'Yquem
Two vintages of Haut Brion (didn't see which, but I think one is 2008)

... and a whole bunch more. They're also pouring Louis XIII for those that like Cognac.

Even for those from K-W, it's probably worth the drive in to taste the wines!

Is this the LCBO response to Tim Hudak? LOL
Crazy.

Way to marginalize everyone that lives outside of TO.

Also, I can understand why they put wines on the tasting bar that are available, but it seems to me that many of these aren't available. I wonder why they would put them out?

EDIT: on second thought, I'm not sure I would want to run up a $50 tab trying measly 1/2oz pours where I can barely get a read on the wines.
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Canuck:
Crazy.

Also, I can understand why they put wines on the tasting bar that are available, but it seems to me that many of these aren't available. I wonder why they would put them out?

EDIT: on second thought, I'm not sure I would want to run up a $50 tab trying measly 1/2oz pours where I can barely get a read on the wines.

I have to agree with you Chris...a 1/2 oz pour where I can't get more than 1, maybe 2, good sips isn't worth it for me.
It's a great idea though, if it were in town I would definetly go check it out. Thanks for the heads up Fut!
quote:
Crazy.

This is not something they do on the regular. It was a special thing they decided to trot out for the holidays. I'm pretty sure they they had inventory of these bottles for sale, but not very much I will assume. I saw some in the cabinets.

As for your comment about "marginalizing everyone that lives outside of Toronto," I think that's a bit of sour grapes (no pun intended). Toronto is the most populous city in the province, and Queens Quay is one of the flagship LCBO stores. Why not put out a tasting bar like that? Besides, how would it be any different if a private store in the US decided to open a bunch of special bottles for tasting in store? Let's face it, if all these bottles were opened in Peterborough, for example, most of the wines would go to waste because there simply wouldn't be a large enough volume of people going through the store to drink the wine.

Besides, if I didn't post about it for the courtesy of everyone on the board, you wouldn't even know. If you feel so aggrieved at not being able to taste the wines on offer, drive to the store or move to Toronto where you'll have access to a greater selection. We all know how the LCBO operates. Just because it's a government operation, it doesn't mean every store will have identical stock.
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
quote:
Crazy.

This is not something they do on the regular. It was a special thing they decided to trot out for the holidays. I'm pretty sure they they had inventory of these bottles for sale, but not very much I will assume. I saw some in the cabinets.

As for your comment about "marginalizing everyone that lives outside of Toronto," I think that's a bit of sour grapes (no pun intended). Toronto is the most populous city in the province, and Queens Quay is one of the flagship LCBO stores. Why not put out a tasting bar like that? Besides, how would it be any different if a private store in the US decided to open a bunch of special bottles for tasting in store? Let's face it, if all these bottles were opened in Peterborough, for example, most of the wines would go to waste because there simply wouldn't be a large enough volume of people going through the store to drink the wine.

Besides, if I didn't post about it for the courtesy of everyone on the board, you wouldn't even know. If you feel so aggrieved at not being able to taste the wines on offer, drive to the store or move to Toronto where you'll have access to a greater selection. We all know how the LCBO operates. Just because it's a government operation, it doesn't mean every store will have identical stock.

Way to marginalize everyone who does not live in Downtown T.O. might be more accurate. It's same as the ISD policy, going to 3 or 4 of the same stores every time. Store consultants outside GTA or within who are not at those stores can't even request ISDs. They have to wait until 2 weeks after the release and then ask if one of the 'flagship' stores is willing (their choice) to ship some of their remaining stock, if there is any. Hardly seems equitable. At least it fulfills the LCBO mission of controlling/limiting alcohol consumption to some extent. LOL

Nice call on the 'response to Hudak' OTW! LOL
agree with aml.

but also, they have so much high end stuff that doesn't move. how long was that '98 lynch bages sitting in the cabinet occupying space? if nobody is going to buy it, what do you do? you have people buy 1/2 oz of it and make $$ that way, instead of letting it go passed its prime - which would be a complete waste.

anyway .. back to the topic at hand.

it's an expensive month so i'm going to have to go conservative:

lorentz riesling
dr. pauly berweiler - yes, another riesling

wynns cab sauv
innisfree cab - may be the closest i ever get to trying something from joseph phelps. from what i've heard, insignia is somewhat overrated/overpriced. i've never had one though.
clavel pic saint loup - if i can squeeze it in.
Be nice, otw. She's new here. Wink

TallGirl - I think what he meant was that the '98 L-B still has years to go before it's anywhere near past prime. But more to your point, a business like LCBO needs to be turning its inventory quickly and can't really afford (from a cash flow perspective) to leave a bottle sitting in a store cabinet year after year. So I agree with you in that if you can make the same margin selling it half an ounce at a a time as you can selling the whole bottle, why not? Or even if you make half as much you still turn the inventory and free up some cash to buy something else.

quote:
innisfree cab - may be the closest i ever get to trying something from joseph phelps. from what i've heard, insignia is somewhat overrated/overpriced. i've never had one though.

If you want to taste wines you never thought you'd get a chance to taste, join the local crowd at an offline event. Folks around here are exceedingly generous with their cellars, and those cellars contain some pretty amazing bottles.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
TallGirl - I think what he meant was that the '98 L-B still has years to go before it's anywhere near past prime. But more to your point, a business like LCBO needs to be turning its inventory quickly and can't really afford (from a cash flow perspective) to leave a bottle sitting in a store cabinet year after year. So I agree with you in that if you can make the same margin selling it half an ounce at a a time as you can selling the whole bottle, why not? Or even if you make half as much you still turn the inventory and free up some cash to buy something else.

^^^ this was my point - not suggesting that l-b is passed its prime .. the '98 L-B just happened to be the oldest wine that was listed in the previous post.

geez, the looks i'd get if i had said "boy, that '06 palmer is getting up there". Wink

Add Reply

Likes (0)