Skip to main content

vinelouse posted:

Sauternes prices are in decline but it seems our beloved LCBO did go far and beyond in Feb release. Just another mistake.

So do you think that the LCBO will honour the advertised prices?  They have done so with past mistakes, for the day of the release anyway when they put through a price change to correct their mistake.  But I'm not sure that honour is much in vogue these days.

Last edited by otw
Ciccio10 posted:

Mormereto worth it?

I dunno.  The price hasn't gone up as stupidly as some of the other wines people are talking about (esp Isole E Olena) which is a good thing these days, but it depends if you like it or not.  Speaking personally, I've never been a fan of Frescobaldi wines with the notable exception of one or possibly two vintages of Lamaione.

But Galloni gives the 2015 Mormoreto a pretty decent review and I would trust that more than anything Suckling has to say.  So maybe you should give it a try and let us know what you think.

Last edited by otw
steve8 posted:

What happened to the Christian Moreau, Les Clos? I don't see it on the list this morning. They don't remove wines if/when they sell out do they? The Billaud-Simon 1er chablis is also missing.

Steve, they often drop products that didn't arrive in time or add products that were dropped from previous releases. The complete list of adds and drops is available on the main LCBO site. Here's the link:

https://www.lcbo.com/content/d...s_ProductList_En.pdf

Both the Moreau and Billaud-Simon were dropped. Odds are they'll appear in one of the next couple of releases.

otw posted:
vinelouse posted:

Sauternes prices are in decline but it seems our beloved LCBO did go far and beyond in Feb release. Just another mistake.

So do you think that the LCBO will honour the advertised prices?  They have done so with past mistakes, for the day of the release anyway when they put through a price change to correct their mistake.  But I'm not sure that honour is much in vogue these days.

Not a chance. They have done it before and will not shy away to correct to the higher price.

otw posted:

I decided that sleeping in was preferable to buying overpriced wine.  I checked in at 10:30 and noted that it was mainly the auction trolls who had been active - both Giacomo Conterno's Barbera and Monfortino were gone as was the Soldera but most other wines were in good supply.

The Conterno Barbera was gone in 15 seconds and there was a 1 bottle/person limit. I think the Monfortino was the same. I'm pleased that I got a bottle of the former, but I wanted 4-6. Never going to happen when only 22 bottles were available, however.

vinoevelo posted:

I will add the 2013 monsanto cc @ $88 as title challenger to the 07 ceparello, while the SAQ currently has '16 monsanto at $37.

Different wines VV. The 2013 in the Classics is the single vineyard Il Poggio whereas the 2016 at the SAQ is their regular CC Riserva. Not to take anything away from the latter as it is an always excellent bottle of wine, even more so in strong vintages.

futronic posted:
otw posted:

I decided that sleeping in was preferable to buying overpriced wine.  I checked in at 10:30 and noted that it was mainly the auction trolls who had been active - both Giacomo Conterno's Barbera and Monfortino were gone as was the Soldera but most other wines were in good supply.

The Conterno Barbera was gone in 15 seconds and there was a 1 bottle/person limit. I think the Monfortino was the same. I'm pleased that I got a bottle of the former, but I wanted 4-6. Never going to happen when only 22 bottles were available, however.

Actually, the pricing on the two Conternos was quite attractive.  The 2017 Barbera is equivalent to US pricing and the 2013 Monfortino is cheaper than US pricing and only slightly more than in Italy.  (I bought the 2013 Monfortino for 600 Euros in Alba.)

What I don't understand, however, is why the quantities available were so small.  Roberto Conterno diverted the entire Francia production over to Monfortino, so there must be more bottles than usual available.  I can only think that there is a little supply-management going on.

Last edited by otw

I made a rare Classics purchase in the January release, 2 cases of the 2009 Chateau Sigalas Rabaud, »First they were advertised as 750ml bottles for a very low price of $24, then on the morning of release they changed it to 375ml, i decided to buy them anyways since its a birth year wine for my daughter, i got my wine late last week and got them home only to find the wine is actually the second wine, Lieutenant de sigalas, unreal!! Called the LCBO and got an email back saying sorry it was a misprint and you can return for a refund!

otw posted:
vertigo888 posted:

If you are wondering - the 750mL d'Yquem is "Y" d'Yquem, not the real one. 

Dead serious, I already emailed LCBO to confirm. 

They did this before a few years ago as well. Worthless monopoly. 

You mean this d'Yquem with 148 grams of residual sugar is not a dessert wine?

Printing error. Here is the email proof. 

Thank you for contacting helloLCBO about the 2017 Chateau D'Yquem Sauternes (14086).

We apologize for the inconvenience. Regrettably, there was a publication error which will be corrected shortly.

The listed price of the product is correct but apart of the published name was omitted.

1406- 2017 Chateau D'Yquem Sauternes (Nath. Johnston) is the dry version of the D'yquem called "Y".

This information is in the process of being corrected by our Vintages team. We thank you for brining this to our attention.

If we have not fully addressed your question, please reply to this email leaving the subject line intact, or please reach out to us directly at 416-365-5900 or toll free at 1-800-668-5226. Mobile users may also dial #LCBO (5226).

Best Regards,

Alora@helloLCBO
helloLCBO

its either a print error or its its probably still in France... just like the DRC... this shit would never happen in the private sector. heads would roll.

anyhow, here is what i am buying on this release

1- the guigal trio... 2015 is a great year, a good long term drinking wine or investment wine.

2- the cave de tain grand cornas- $50, good reviews... good price for a cornas. anyone try it?

3- FONTSANE TERRASSES DES DENTELLES GIGONDAS 2016 $47- good reviews, nice price

4-BARONE RICASOLI CASALFERRO 2015 $50 as well, great wine... bought them last year. i believe this is the oldest winery in the world  or Barone is the oldest winery int he world.

5- maybe some ORBEN 2016- anyone try it? $39

vertigo888 posted:
otw posted:
vertigo888 posted:

If you are wondering - the 750mL d'Yquem is "Y" d'Yquem, not the real one. 

Dead serious, I already emailed LCBO to confirm. 

They did this before a few years ago as well. Worthless monopoly. 

You mean this d'Yquem with 148 grams of residual sugar is not a dessert wine?

Printing error. Here is the email proof. 

Thank you for contacting helloLCBO about the 2017 Chateau D'Yquem Sauternes (14086).

We apologize for the inconvenience. Regrettably, there was a publication error which will be corrected shortly.

The listed price of the product is correct but apart of the published name was omitted.

1406- 2017 Chateau D'Yquem Sauternes (Nath. Johnston) is the dry version of the D'yquem called "Y".

This information is in the process of being corrected by our Vintages team. We thank you for brining this to our attention.

If we have not fully addressed your question, please reply to this email leaving the subject line intact, or please reach out to us directly at 416-365-5900 or toll free at 1-800-668-5226. Mobile users may also dial #LCBO (5226).

Best Regards,

Alora@helloLCBO
helloLCBO

Is the half of the 2016 Yquem the correct price as well?

Last edited by mimik

Re. Egon Müller - I remember back in 2012-2013, the LCBO had the 2006 Scharzhofberger Auslese on the shelves. It lingered there for a good two years, priced below $200/750ml bottle. No one was buying these! I happily picked up a 6-pack over time...ah, the good old days.

Anyway, I agree about Huet, Z-H being decent buys. I probably would have opted for a bottle or two of the Oliviere Riviere too.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.