Hi,

A thread was put up several months ago, but wanted to see what the current thinking is. I have a PS2, and am looking at either a PS3, or the XBOX 360. Any fans of one over the other?

From the way I see it:

PS3 plusses:
Reads BluRay (good if BluRay wins the HD wars)
Latest generation graphics.
Can play my existing PS1/2 games.

XBOX 360 plusses:
Can do HD DVD, with an add-on (good if HD DVD prevails)
Has Halo 3, out in a few weeks.

While I'm itching to play the Halo3 game, I think I'll pop for the PS3 sometime this fall, if funds allow.

I'm a very infrequent gamer, maybe three or four hours a month, but the ability to play the new movies is a big bonus.

Just wanted to get any thoughts from owners of either system, and any insight on who wins the high def. video disk wars.
Original Post
A major advantage of the Xbox 360 is that most of the games coming to PS3 will be available on the 360. As a result, you get the games exclusive to Xbox, and most of the games on PS3.

If it were me, I would get a Wii. I love mine. It is a blast. In addition, all the old games I grew up with are being released on the Wii's Virtual Console. If you are an infrequent gamer, I would consider looking at this option. It is less expensive, and I tryuly believe the games are more fun. Just my thoughts. The Blu-Ray player is tempting, but I don't see the PS3-exclusive game pipeline to be nearly as strong as the 360. Finally, I think it is too early to tell who wins the high-def dvd war, so spending the cash on an unknown right now may be a little bit of a gamble.

Hope that helps.
Good points Keeno,

I'd forgotten about the wii. Definately a less pricey option to have while the HD wars go on. Any wii games of note?
For the Wii, my favorite games have been Wii Sports (included with the console), Zelda Twilight Priness, Super Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3, SSX Blur, and Mario Strikers Charged. Those are the only games that I have really played. I think they are releasing Super Mario Galaxy this November and Mario Kart Wii next year.

The Virtual Console has new releases every Monday. I play these the most since I grew up playing a lot of them. A lot of the original NES games like Super Mario Brothers, Super Mario Brothers 2, Metroid, Zelda, Zelda II, Punch Out and Excitebike have already been released. In addition to the NES games, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Sega Genesis and Turbo Grafix 16 games are available on the Virtual Console.

I feel a little nerdy rattling off all these games - I sound like I play a lot more than I really do. I am like you in that I only play a few hours a month, but I really like the new versions of the old games like Zelda and Mario.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
Good points Keeno,

I'd forgotten about the wii. Definately a less pricey option to have while the HD wars go on. Any wii games of note?


FYI ... not all ps1/ps2 games play on the ps3 ... they're having problems with teh decoders...

same goes with the xbox 360 ... but ms has been better at coming out with patches so far.

I have a wii and I'd have to say that alot of wii games are clearly lacking.. fun with groups but not so fun if you're single player.

guitar hero itself tho would be a legit reason to get the xbox 360 =) ..
I don't have any of the newer consoles, just a PS2, but I have heard many many great things about the wii. Most of the things are that the wii tends to be geared towards people who don't have a lot of time to get into 60+ hour role playing, shoot-em-up games with steep learning curves. The wii seems to have simple, but fun games that anyone at any age can play with almost no learning curve (from what I hear). I'm considering getting one, if I can find one.
I hate the playstation 2 controller because of the placement of the control sticks, the ps3 looks identical to me.

I like how the control sticks are staggered on the X-BOX.

I think the games look good on both systems.

Wii does look fun but Nintendo only makes so many game that interest me.

I really think I am going to buy an XBOX.

Where is Kumazam? He probably has all three.
quote:
Originally posted by lizardking:
I don't have any of the newer consoles, just a PS2, but I have heard many many great things about the wii. Most of the things are that the wii tends to be geared towards people who don't have a lot of time to get into 60+ hour role playing, shoot-em-up games with steep learning curves. The wii seems to have simple, but fun games that anyone at any age can play with almost no learning curve (from what I hear). I'm considering getting one, if I can find one.


not true.. i think the best question to ask is .. "When i play video games.. am i usually playing with a bunch of people"

or "do i just want to come back after work and zone out into my video game" (even if it's for 30 mins a day...)

if it's the first.. definitely the wii.

if it's the second... xbox 360 by far is the clear cut winner. Wii only has legend of zelda in terms of single players, rest of the games really are geared towards a group of people
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
Where is Kumazam? He probably has all three.

believe it or not i dont have any of the 3, and rarely play my PS2 or PC games anymore Razz

i do however, have friends that combined have all the consoles... the wii is fun in an arcade kind of sense... i disagree that its not fun by yourself, however, i dont think its nearly as fun unless you have a TV 42" or bigger whereas you can get by with a smaller TV for the other consoles...

one thing to note from a gaming perspective, the PS3 has twice the processing speed of the 360... in the next year or so, i think you will see the games for the PS3 jump ahead of the Xbox as far as graphics as developers learn to maximize the capability of the console...

if it were my $$$, i'd probably get the PS3 to be honest, just for the BluRay feature and because the games i like to play (Madden, Madden, and more Madden) are available on both
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by lizardking:
I don't have any of the newer consoles, just a PS2, but I have heard many many great things about the wii. Most of the things are that the wii tends to be geared towards people who don't have a lot of time to get into 60+ hour role playing, shoot-em-up games with steep learning curves. The wii seems to have simple, but fun games that anyone at any age can play with almost no learning curve (from what I hear). I'm considering getting one, if I can find one.


not true.. i think the best question to ask is .. "When i play video games.. am i usually playing with a bunch of people"

or "do i just want to come back after work and zone out into my video game" (even if it's for 30 mins a day...)

if it's the first.. definitely the wii.

if it's the second... xbox 360 by far is the clear cut winner. Wii only has legend of zelda in terms of single players, rest of the games really are geared towards a group of people


I disagree that Wii is not fun by yourself. Most of the games I mentioned above are single player or playable with one person only and a lot of fun. I think the question you need to ask yourself is what types of games do I like to play. If you gravitate towards Nintendo games, the Wii may be the better bet. If you like first-person shooters or sports games like Madden, NCAA, etc. then the 360 or PS3 are probably better options. That being said, the Wii has seen a lot more 3rd party support since it has been so popular, and I think you will see many more games come out are not Mario or Zelda related that take advantage of the Wii remote.
It may also be a good idea to go to a video game website like ign.com to read about the available titles for each console and see which ones appeal to your interests.
mm it might be that I just like my action games more, and from that perspective, that's where I see the wii really lacking. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love playing zelda, Super paper mario is also a great game. But once beaten, I look at all the other titles and dont see much. Mario strikers is a great game, but it's just a back and forth and no sense of progression.

Xbox 360 has halo, you have project gotham, ninja gaiden is coming out, Gears of War is awesome, Guitar hero II, Dead or alive if you prefer beat em ups.

The sheer amt of titles gives you a much better single person experience.

also just going through ign (if you trust their reviews)... look at how many wii games crack the 9 barrier that's NOT an old virtual console game or a port from another machine. 2 .. legend of zelda and metroid.
Folks are raising some great points about checking titles. My favorites have included the SOCOM series, Resident Evil 4 (best game I've ever played), Guitar Hero II, and fighting games like the Tekken series. My girlfriend likes DDR on my PS2. With this in mind, perhaps the wii isn't my thing. I'd better head to Worst Buy or Fry's for a demo this weekend.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
mm it might be that I just like my action games more, and from that perspective, that's where I see the wii really lacking. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love playing zelda, Super paper mario is also a great game. But once beaten, I look at all the other titles and dont see much. Mario strikers is a great game, but it's just a back and forth and no sense of progression.

Xbox 360 has halo, you have project gotham, ninja gaiden is coming out, Gears of War is awesome, Guitar hero II, Dead or alive if you prefer beat em ups.

The sheer amt of titles gives you a much better single person experience.

also just going through ign (if you trust their reviews)... look at how many wii games crack the 9 barrier that's NOT an old virtual console game or a port from another machine. 2 .. legend of zelda and metroid.


I agree that the Wii lacks action titles - if that is your thing, then you are correct to steer away from that console. Metroid Prime 3 is about the only that would be appealing to many fans of the shooter games. You are also right about the reviews, but Paper Mario got a 8.9 and there are a lot of games in the 8.5-8.8 range, like Strikers and SSX Blur, which is good in my opinion. The console is still new. I actually bought the thing for the virtual console library, but have gotten sucked in to the Wii games as well.
If I had to choose between the 360 and the PS3, I would definitely get the 360. I just don't see a lot of exclusive titles for PS3 (except for Metal Gear) and all the games like SOCOM and Madden are available on both. It just seems like you are getting better games on the 360 IMO.

I wonder whether there are still so many gamers here. I didn't play video games when I was a child, but my husband enjoys it, so I also started playing. In most cases we play online games (we were lucky to find a post about the best online casino usa sites https://aboutcasinoslots.com/, so we use only trustworthy ones). And we are thinking about buying PlayStation. What games can you recommend for the beginners?

Last edited by Francis123
Francis123 posted:

I wonder whether there are still so many gamers here. 

So many? Seven people responded 12 years ago. Try NeoGAF.com or one of the dozen or so other major video game sites.

Last edited by The Old Man

Damn, I bought an XBOX 360 and regretted in less than a month. The creativity in video games took a nose dive.

I am a bit of a homebody but holy shit I am bored. I am thinking about that xbox that is discless and Doom Eternal. 

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×