US Open 2018 Shinnecock Hills

The US Open returns to a traditional venue, historic Shinnecock Hills on Long Island. SH is one of the USA's best golf courses, ranked in the top 5 in many lists. It is a great test of golf, more of a comprehensive test rather than a few hole stretch test. The USGA is adapting to the modern game, allowing the fairways at a 41 yard width. However, any errant shot, with those wide of fairways rightly so, will almost surely incur a one shot penalty. The winner should be the most consistent ball striker although recovery and patience is necessary to win this tourney. The 2004 setup was widely criticized for greens almost burnt out (Reteif Goosen did not care), but the setup this time  is said to be much better.

Original Post

I saw a video clip of a ball dropped on one end of the 18th green and the ball ran off the other end of the green.  If that is representative of the way the greens play, then the USGA may have gone too far on making the greens difficult.  I hope that is not the case.

thistlintom posted:

I saw a video clip of a ball dropped on one end of the 18th green and the ball ran off the other end of the green.  If that is representative of the way the greens play, then the USGA may have gone too far on making the greens difficult.  I hope that is not the case.

Saw that as well...crazy.  But I don’t think the players are complaining as much as the last time.  Very much looking forward to this.  Just want Tiger around,for the weekend...Phil too.

What Mickelson did should have resulted in a DQ, I can't believe what he did.  Very unrepentant afterwards too, not good for him.  I have heard he is not as nice as he is on camera, who knows.

The greens got a little out of hand and was unfair for the people with the latest tee times.  However, if DJ had played better in the beginning he would still be leading.  I hope the USGA fixes the problems for tomorrow if they can, the greens looked a little brown.

I like Michelson and have made that move many a time out of frustration. But I think he may have earned getting his name on a rules change because there's no way that can be just a 2 shot penalty.

He'd have been much better off apologizing for losing his cool vs explaining that he was just taking advantage of the rules.

What is the penalty if he had just stopped his ball, say with his putter or foot, rather than stroke it?
Anyway,  I thought the course was most unfair.  Guys hitting a nice putt, barely missing, and then having a dicey 10 footer coming back. Or, hitting the green below the hole, and having the ball roll off the green into a trap or back down the fairway.

Most unfair.  Totally different course for the people who started early. Maybe golfers should look at the weather forecast and, if they think it will be a tough day late on Saturday because of wind or rain, try to blow a few strokes on Friday to get an earlier start. Is this good for golf?

As much as I think Fox has the worst golf crew in the business by more than a booming Dustin Johnson drive with a 30 mph wind to his back, Paul Azinger and crew were prescient in pointing out early in the round the greens were drying out and dying.  In particular, there was a comment of "when I can see the golfers leaving footprints on the greens, that's a clear indication the grass is dying".  

What's particularly ironic is that there was a lengthy piece broadcast in the days leading up to the tournament where the superintendent of the Shinnecock grounds crew discussed how much technology was available nowadays to keep tabs on course conditions.  The superintendent, who was shown in a group picture as part of the 2004 grounds crew that rightfully were subjected to much derision for having the greens bake to an unplayable level, was firm in his assessment that they would never experience such a failure again.  Yet here we are........

Phil lied his ass off. No surprise.

Everyone in the group said he had no clue what score to write down and there were conversations with rule officials that everyone was involved with before he was informed what rule would be enforced. There could have been different rules enforced it turns out including a DQ. 

Phony Phil as he has been referred to on tour was clueless and I’m glad the people involved in the bush league act are speaking out this morning on ESPN and the Golf Channel. 

They return to this course for the US Open in 2026.  I, for one, am not looking forward to that.  I don't want to see my favorite pros tortured by wind conditions and dried out greens and pins too close to the edge.  Several of the pros exercised their 1st amendment privileges in criticizing the course.  I note that it is also unfair when the guys who start in the a.m. play a different course than those in the PM.

wineart 2 posted:

Everyone in the group said he had no clue what score to write down and there were conversations with rule officials that everyone was involved with before he was informed what rule would be enforced. There could have been different rules enforced it turns out including a DQ. 

Phony Phil as he has been referred to on tour was clueless and I’m glad the people involved in the bush league act are speaking out this morning on ESPN and the Golf Channel. 

You mean the same people that turned themselves inside out to apologize for Tiger and advocate for him not to be DQ'ed from the Masters when he intentionally took an illegal drop, signed an incorrect scorecard and then admitted breaking the rule after his round?    

irwin posted:

I note that it is also unfair when the guys who start in the a.m. play a different course than those in the PM.

This happens regularly.  Weather changes. Sometimes it rains in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon.  Sometimes it's windy in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon. 

The amount of crying that the pros do about the USGA is laughable.  It's one week of the year where conditions aren't perfect.  And I note that the top 4 of the open, were the defending champion, the world's #1, the defending Masters champion and a guy that tied the scoring record for the tournament.  Seems like the course identified the best player this week to me.  

I think what Phil did was wrong and was not in the spirit of the game.  He was lucky that the USGA did not DQ them, as they could have read the rules differently than they did.  I think Phil showed a side of his character that most of the public doesn't get to see.

The course and pins were fine on Sunday, it was not too tough as Fleetwood showed with his amazing round and Brooks who played well with a 68.  Yes the afternoon is tougher than the morning, hard to change that when winds come up in the pm.  Unless you allow a little watering/injection during the round, it will be hard for greens not to speed up.

I was glad to see Brooks win as he played great in managing the course and beating an unbelievable early round by Fleetwood.  I think we will see much more of Fleetwood in the future.

wineart 2 posted:

What did he lie about?  The pearl clutching by all the golf purists has been hilarious the past few weeks.  Golf constantly talks about how they need to grow the game, make the game more accessible and fun yet they can't get out of their own way.  What Phil did was by far the most entertaining thing that happened in this very boring US open.  I'm sure he knew he was at risk of being DQ'd but I don't think he really cared.  He took a chance on a rule and now  they will likely change the rule.  I seriously don't see what the big deal was.  It was the perfect time to pull a stunt like that since the course was such a joke. 

I'm friends with a few ex tour players and their take on Phil is he just doesn't give a shit what the other tour players think of him.  He is very competitive and that rubs a few the wrong way.  But isn't that what makes Phil great?  The guy takes risks that pretty much no buddy else does.  The phony tag line stems from jealousy because he is such a fan favorite.  They think he is mr. nice guy to the fans and a dick to everyone else.  If true, who freaking cares!  He signs autographs, shakes hands and kisses babies which is what the fans want.  He also is generous with people unlike your boy Mr. Woods.  Talk about phony.   

He plays in high end cash games around here a lot including a few times at our club.  In my experience he has been nothing but super friendly and approachable.  And that's after losing some serious money on the course! 

Did you read my post? He lied as he did not know the rule when he ran to hit the still moving ball. Numerous people have all said he was asking what score to put down and there was a conversation with a rules official before he even signed his card. So, everything he said in his post round interview was nothing but a lie.

The phony tag he has is not from me. I don’t know him just like you don’t know him. It is a tag from what seems to be mostly caddies. To his credit, he apologized for his bush league stunt.

wineart 2 posted:

To his credit, he apologized for his bush league stunt.

Phil apologizing was the only thing with which I took umbrage.  His stunt was bush league, but it wasn't against the rules and he should not have been DQ'ed IMO.  Apologizing for it makes it seem exactly like he is 100% the phony you (and others for that matter) claim he is.  If you're going to do it, then own it.  If not, then then say you were just frustrated and apologize right away.  Anything else is BS. 

End of rant.  

glennk posted

He also is generous with people unlike your boy Mr. Woods.  Talk about phony.   

100% this.   Phil may be different in public than he is in private, but is disingenuousness is at least biased toward kindness and generosity and I'll take that over a cheapass uncouth lout any day.  

Add Reply

Likes (0)