We saw Pearl Jam at Wrigley Field on my birthday recently. When it was over I commented to my wife and our friends that it was for sure in the top 3-5 shows I've seen in my life. It got me thinking what my replies would be if asked what were the best shows that I have attended. So, not in any order, these are my most memorable. And I'm looking forward to seeing what others post.

Pearl Jam at Wrigley Field, 2016 - three plus hours of intensity, very tightly performed. One of my measures of a great concert is the enjoyment level of seeing unfamiliar material played. I probably didn't know about a third of the songs, but it didn't matter. Eddie Vedder's voice was in great shape, and Mike McCready's solos were fantastic as was Matt Cameron's drumming. The audience participation was a cherry on top. Good sound and the ballpark made a great backdrop, as did perfect weather.

2007 Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival, Toyota Park - Sunny day with almost universally great performances by the list of artists below with a great sound mix and nice weather. Enough said.
Sonny Landreth
John McLaughlin
Alison Krauss
Doyle Bramhall
Derek Trucks Band with Susan Tedeschi
Johnny Winter
Robert Randolph
Robert Cray
Jimmie Vaughan
Hubert Sumlin
B.B. King.
John Mayer
Vince Gill
Albert Lee
Sheryl Crow
Los Lobos
Jeff Beck
Eric Clapton (w/ Steve Winwood and Robbie Robertson)
Buddy Guy

Metallica, 1991, Rosemont Horizon - they were absolutely at the height of their live performance abilities as a band. Hetfield's voice had all of the bark but with more power then before, and Lars played not only all of the double-bass parts but added fills here and there that weren't on records. Three hours of bad-ass intensity playing their best material. While I still like them, their live performances took a steep decline since 2000. Lars is a lazy, sloppy "drummer" now who may as well have the same kit used by the Stray Cats. Other metal drummers of similar age can still rage - because they choose to. Hetfield's live vocals no longer have any bite. And while Robert Trujillo is a good bass player, his background vocals are pathetic and that stupid crab-walk thing he does looks beyond stupid.

Lollapalooza II, 1992, Alpine Valley, WI - back when Lolla was a touring festival - Pearl Jam's 1st tour of large venues supporting Ten, Soundgarden supporting Badmotorfinger, Ice Cube, Ministry and headlined by a still relevant Red Hot Chili Pepppers. PJ was the performer of the day IMO, with Soundgarden a close second. Eddie lowered himself from the pavilion overhang by a rope. Soundgarden was awesome in every way, and seeing Chris Cornell pull of his vocals live was something. 20+ years later with Audioslave, his voice was still incredible.

Bruce Springsteen and (the entire) E Street Band, United Center, 2007 - this was my only time seeing them. While a relatively short show for them at about 2:15, it was fantastically paced. It was also one of the last shows by Danny Federici, who passed from cancer about 6 months later. Our seats were in the third level of the cavernous UC, but the band's energy made it all the way upstairs. I feel fortunate to have witnesssed the entire band, and this show met all expectations.
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
We saw Pearl Jam at Wrigley Field on my birthday recently. When it was over I commented to my wife and our friends that it was for sure in the top 3-5 shows I've seen in my life. It got me thinking what my replies would be if asked what were the best shows that I have attended. So, not in any order, these are my most memorable. And I'm looking forward to seeing what others post.

Pearl Jam at Wrigley Field, 2016 - three plus hours of intensity, very tightly performed. One of my measures of a great concert is the enjoyment level of seeing unfamiliar material played. I probably didn't know about a third of the songs, but it didn't matter. Eddie Vedder's voice was in great shape, and Mike McCready's solos were fantastic as was Matt Cameron's drumming. The audience participation was a cherry on top. Good sound and the ballpark made a great backdrop, as did perfect weather.

2007 Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival, Toyota Park - Sunny day with almost universally great performances by the list of artists below with a great sound mix and nice weather. Enough said.
Sonny Landreth
John McLaughlin
Alison Krauss
Doyle Bramhall
Johnny Winter
Robert Randolph
Robert Cray
Jimmie Vaughan
Hubert Sumlin
B.B. King.
John Mayer
Vince Gill
Albert Lee
Sheryl Crow
Los Lobos
Jeff Beck
Buddy Guy

Metallica, 1991, Rosemont Horizon - they were absolutely at the height of their live performance abilities as a band. Hetfield's voice had all of the bark but with more power then before, and Lars played not only all of the double-bass parts but added fills here and there that weren't on records. Three hours of bad-ass intensity playing their best material. While I still like them, their live performances took a steep decline since 2000. Lars is a lazy, sloppy "drummer" now who may as well have the same kit used by the Stray Cats. Other metal drummers of similar age can still rage - because they choose to. Hetfield's live vocals no longer have any bite. And while Robert Trujillo is a good bass player, his background vocals are pathetic and that stupid crab-walk thing he does looks beyond stupid.

Lollapalooza II, 1992, Alpine Valley, WI - back when Lolla was a touring festival - Pearl Jam's 1st tour of large venues supporting Ten, Soundgarden supporting Badmotorfinger, Ice Cube, Ministry and headlined by a still relevant Red Hot Chili Pepppers. PJ was the performer of the day IMO, with Soundgarden a close second. Eddie lowered himself from the pavilion overhang by a rope. Soundgarden was awesome in every way, and seeing Chris Cornell pull of his vocals live was something. 20+ years later with Audioslave, his voice was still incredible.

Bruce Springsteen and (the entire) E Street Band, United Center, 2007 - this was my only time seeing them. While a relatively short show for them at about 2:15, it was fantastically paced. It was also one of the last shows by Danny Federici, who passed from cancer about 6 months later. Our seats were in the third level of the cavernous UC, but the band's energy made it all the way upstairs. I feel fortunate to have witnesssed the entire band, and this show met all expectations.

That Crossroads show would have been a blast, billhike. And any Springsteen show makes for great memories. Nice.
In random order...
The Who, John Couger and loverboy. Sure, there was no Keith Moon by they still killed it. In was shortly after jack and Diane came out, and John didn't have the Mellencamp in his name. 1982 and I was 12.

David Lindley, Los Lobos, Grateful Dead, Laguna Seca 1988 or &89

Allmans and little feat, starlight bowl despite the air trafic.' I've seen both several times and seeing together was epic...must have been '92 or so

San Diego Street scene in the early 90's Buckwheat Zydeco, Taj Majal, others

Il nozze di Figaro, at la Scalia, not a concert per se, but a musical event of my life.

Interested to see Bomba's list....if he can narrow it down to 5.
quote:
Originally posted by Jabe11:
In random order...
The Who, John Couger and loverboy. Sure, there was no Keith Moon by they still killed it. In was shortly after jack and Diane came out, and John didn't have the Mellencamp in his name. 1982 and I was 12.

David Lindley, Los Lobos, Grateful Dead, Laguna Seca 1988 or &89

Allmans and little feat, starlight bowl despite the air trafic.' I've seen both several times and seeing together was epic...must have been '92 or so

San Diego Street scene in the early 90's Buckwheat Zydeco, Taj Majal, others

Il nozze di Figaro, at la Scalia, not a concert per se, but a musical event of my life.

Interested to see Bomba's list....if he can narrow it down to 5.

This will not be easy. Btw I was at the early 90s street scene concerts which were awesome. X, beat farmers, fab thunderbird, buddy guy, bb king, no doubt, mojo Nixon, beausoleil, los lobos among others were memorable.

It's gonna take some work to put this list together and it will likely go well past 10 but #1 experience has got to be Woodstock 94. My brother in law was the first guy hired by Michael Lang and put most of it together. I got four all access passes and brought three of my best friends. It was a rainy, muddy mess. We had nice warm dry accommodations, showers, catered meals, behind the scenes access to get from stage to stage without fighting the crowds and stood on the side of stage for many performances. It was epic beyond any measure.
SARS Fest has to be up there. Amongst many others like The Guess Who, Rush, Blue Rodeo, Justin Timberlake etc. fantastic performances by The Flaming Lips and The Rolling Stones but the concert was totally dominated by an epic AC/DC performance.

The Decemberists & Andrew Bird and the entire LA Philhamonic at the Hollywood Bowl. Maybe the best outdoor venue anywhere, Andrew Bird was spectacular and having the whole LA Phil backing a mostly hipster acoustic band was awesome.

Elbow at Danforth Music Hall. A year and a half removed from closing the London Olympics and a band that has sold out the 90,000 seat Wembley Stadium I got to see with about 300 other people.

Colin Hay at the Hugh’s Room. He can never fully get out from under the shadow of his Men At Work past but he’s phenomenal as an acoustic singer-songwriter. I didn’t actually know of his past association until the concert, just loved his acoustic work through things like the Garden State soundtrack. Small little venue, sitting at tables 10 feet away from a guy playing for you is always special.

One of those wild & crazy nights that you can (or should) only do when you’re unmarried and young and foolish. Half our (small) office drove down to New Haven Connecticut after lunch from work (from Toronto!) to party with one of the guy’s brothers (Ralph) who worked for JP Morgan. Go to a Blues bar and during the course of the night Keith Richards comes on to do part of a set. We closed the place down and somehow (and for some reason) rented a limo that took us into New York to some after-hours place Ralph knew until the sun came up. I burnt my hand from flaming shots pouring all over me, three of us slept with the Ralph’s kid’s nanny who somehow we had come out with us (and apparently Ralph’s wife promptly fired afterwards…). Still, I got to see Keith Richards in a tiny little bar. He wasn’t really fantastic, didn’t play much of anything I knew but it didn’t matter. I got to see Keith Richards play in a tiny little bar.
5. 1987 - Motley Crue with Guns N Roses (Lakeland, FL) - Ok, the Crue sucked, but why this show was so great was 1) how much better G'N'R was than Motley Crue, but also, with only 1 album under their belt, they practically played the entire Appetite for Destruction album

4. 2011 - Judas Priest (Epitath Tour, Tampa, FL) - was special in that they played an extended show with a balanced setlist with songs from 1974 to 2008.

3. 2016 - Iron Maiden (Book of Souls Tour, Ft. Lauderdale & Las Vegas) - Amazing set design, good balance for songs from new album and classics

2. 2012 - Iron Maiden (Maiden England Tour - Atlanta, GA) - with Alice Cooper opening. Amazing to see both Alice and Maiden in 1 one show. Was a retro tour for Maiden - played songs from albums released 1980-1992

1. 1988 - Iron Maiden (7th Son Tour - Tampa, FL) - Opening band was Savatage which has sort of morphed into Trans Siberian Orchestra these days and local to the Tampa area. Bruce Dickinson in his prime, when he truly was the "Air Raid Siren"

I bet nobody can guess who my favorite band might be...LOL
My most unique concert, if you could call it that, was seeing very early Sublime and No Doubt play a backyard party at a friends house when I was in high school. I saw them both a couple more times at small venues before they got big.

I went to 5 Rage Against the Machine concerts but my favorite was my first in probably 95-96 sometime. Small place in LA standing room only. Just awesome.

Jay-Z and Coldplay at Wembley stadium was a cool one.

Diana Krall at Royal Albert Hall was great.

Jamie Cullum at Ronnie Scotts.

My friend worked with Blink182 from the very early days so I went to a lot of small shows in San Diego back when their music was fun and way less pop.
in no particular order:

Phish @ The Gorge (George, WA) - Summer 1998
you shouldn't need to ask why...

Norah Jones @ The Hollywood Bowl - i think 2008-09
awesome cus i was front row and sat next to Ravi Shankar and his entourage

Nas @ House of Blues Hollywood - mid 2000's
awesome venue and one of the few rap artists i've seen who sounds better live than recorded

Fleetwood Mac @ The Forum - 2014
i know they were past their prime, but i'm not old enough to catch them during the 70's/80's and this was their first tour with Christine McVie in like 20+ years

Metallica/Guns N Roses @ The Rose Bowl - 1992
Stadium tour during the Use Your Illusion I/II albums & The Black Album, plus i was in 8th grade Cool
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
My most unique concert, if you could call it that, was seeing very early Sublime and No Doubt play a backyard party at a friends house when I was in high school.

Legitimately, the dream. Sublime is the one band I never saw (dude died when I was 18, and I don't think Tucson was ever a huge spot for ska-punk in the mid-90s).
My top 5:
Tom Petty at the Fillmore in SF in 1997. So good, such a great venue.

MXPX in the basement of some bar in Tucson in 1998. Growing up in Tucson, I'd never seen a basement in any establishment. Throw in a bunch of punk kids running around in a pit, in the basement, in the middle of summer. Dumb idea. Lead singer ended up blacking out in the middle of a song b/c it was so hot in there.

Pearl Jam in the Veterans Coliseum in Phx. around 1998. First time I saw them, and they were amazing.

Jimmy Eat World at the Rialto in Tucson in 2002. Probably my favorite band, at my favorite old school theater-style venue, in my hometown.

Rage Against the Machine at Glen Helen Amphitheater in San Bernadino. Greatest/scariest show I've ever seen. It started with the fact that it was a rap festival that usually had 5000 people, but then Rage decided to play and it got moved to a 65,000 capacity outdoor venue. You had a majority of people who wanted to see Rage, but they had to sit through 8 hours of rap (not really the same fanbase). You also had 65K people all with general admission, but the lower bowl of the amphitheater had 10,000 seats and no system devised as to who or how many people got those seats, which led to security/fan issues. And it was hot as crap out. Needless to say, when Rage came on, there were bonfires everywhere on the lawn, helicopters flying over head flashing their lights, and then Rage coming out and just making the place explode. Amazing.
Some great shows and memories in this thread. Love it!

I’ve seen many memorable shows since the 70s, but these are probably the five that had the most impact on me. I have ticket stubs from some of these shows. For the rest, I had to look up the dates.

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
February 13, 1977
Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto
The second half of the Born to Run tour. This part of the tour was called “The Lawsuit Drags On Tour”. Bruce wasn’t quite a household name yet, so this was in the concert bowl configuration with the stage at centre ice, facing sideways, and half the arena curtained off. Bought front row red seats at the box office the day of the show.

Heat Wave Festival
August 23, 1980
Mosport Park outside Toronto
Backstage passes for a legendary lineup of so-called new wave bands.
Teenage Head
BB Gabor
Holly and the Italians
Rockpile with Dave Edmunds & Nick Lowe
The Rumour (post Graham Parker)
The B-52s
Talking Heads - their first show with the expanded lineup including Adrian Belew on guitar and Bernie Worrell on keys
The Pretenders
Elvis Costello & the Attractions
The Kings

The Rolling Stones
Opening act: Stevie Wonder
July 15, 1972
Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto
Exile on Main Street tour. I was 15 years old. Mind blown.

The Band, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young and Jesse Colin Young
September 2, 1974
Varsity Stadium, Toronto
One of my first dates with my girlfriend and now partner, Patricia.

The Rolling Stones
Opening act: New Barbarians (Keith, Stanley Clarke, Ian McLagan, Bobby Keys and Ziggy Modeliste)
Sunday April 22, 1979
Oshawa Civic Auditorium east of Toronto
The infamous CNIB concert for the blind. Keith was order by the judge to play this charity concert after he was busted for heroin possession while performing two surprise shows in Toronto at the El Mocambo (which my girlfriend Patricia attended, but that's another story). Patricia’s mother was legally blind so she was able to get two tickets to the show. The performance by the Stones was probably the worst I’ve heard (at one point Keith and Ron were about two beats ahead of Charlie and Bill, so Charlie just stopped drumming until he could figure out where they were in the song), but as an event it was one of the most memorable.

Honourable mentions:

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Sunday Nov 18, 1979
Seneca College gymnasium
About 200 kids sitting on the gym floor for Petty’s first Toronto concert just after the release of Damn the Torpedoes.

The Ramones
October 9, 1977
The Edge, Toronto
A tiny 50 seat pub near Ryerson Polytechnical, famous for hosting one of the first Toronto concerts by The Police.

Bill Evans & Robben Ford
Perhaps 2010?
Ronnie Scott’s, London
I’ve always wanted to see a show at Ronnie Scott’s, so we dropped by on our first day in town to see who was playing. Got dinner & show tickets for this and sat about 10 ft. from the stage. Brilliant performances from Bill on sax and Robben on guitar.

Supertramp
April 17, 1975
Massey Hall
Crime of the Century tour
Their first show in Toronto. They were virtually unknown south of the border but Crime was a big hit in Canada.

Billy Joel
November 20, 1974
Massey Hall
Streetlife Serenade tour
A sold out show, but he wasn’t yet a massive star. The previous Piano Man album only reached #27 on the US charts and #26 in Canada.
Not a huge concert goer in my youth, but a few stand out.

Stevie Ray Vaughn and Lonnie Mack UCSD Gymnasium (1985-ish). Awesome show in small venue. We were able to get right up front for SRV. SRV's omitted many of his hits from his set and instead seemed to try to out-blues Lonnie Mack. Best show I have seen.

US Festival heavy metal day 1983 Glenn Hellen Amphitheater. headlined by Van Halen with Judas Priest, Scorpions, Motlie Crue, Ozzy and Quiet Riot. Just hangin' with about 100,000 of my closest friends.

Social Distortion Wabash Hall 1987-ish. Small venue, very high energy. I found myself in the mosh pit several times that night.

Jane's Addiction with Pixies Hollywood Palladium 1990-ish. Great performance from both bands that night.

ZZ Top San Diego Sports Arena 1979-ish> SD Sports arena is probably the worst place to see a concert. Acoustics are awful. Still, this was my first real concert as a teenager, so I have fond memories.
In no particular order:

Billy Joel (can't decide between Bridge, Storm Front, and River of Dreams. he always does a great job of singing his new stuff and bringing back old material)

Crash Test Dummies (circa 1991): way back when just after there song "Superman" started playing on the radio. Small venue in Denver

Bare Naked Ladies (circa 1997): Small outdoor venue in Philly in old town

Avett brothers (circa 2004): played at a tiny venue in Cambridge, MA for a crowd of about 20 people

Fresh Beat Band (circa 2014): live concert with my then 5 year old daughter. She joined a "mosh pit" of 3-8 year olds right in front of the stage. Was just awesome to be a dad that night

R.E.M. at RedRocks (ok that's six)

Some honorable mentions would go to Tori Amos (Boulder Theatre); Shawn Colvin and Alyson Krauss (Chicago outdoor venue north of the city whose name I am blanking) and Harry Connick Jr at RedRocks

Most of my more memorable concerts were in really small, intimate venues
quote:
Originally posted by Parcival:
Shawn Colvin and Alyson Krauss (Chicago outdoor venue north of the city whose name I am blanking)

I'm guessing you're talking about Ravinia in Highland Park?

I'll have to give this some thought myself, but it's mostly going to be various Jimmy Buffett shows that my wife and I have attended over the last 30 years. Big Grin
Wow, great topic.

I'm guessing I may come back with some edits as I think about this more, but off the top of my head:

- SRV outdoors at Auditorium Shores in Austin in 1989.

- U2 on the 360 Tour at Soldier Field (this was a re-do after we saw them at Cowboys Stadium in Dallas earlier on that tour and quickly realized what an AWFUL venue it is for a concert with the roof closed).

- Billy Joel at MSG in 2014 and 2015 (have been blessed to see him many times, but in front of the "home crowd" in NYC it's just a different experience).

- Andrea Bocelli at the Frank Erwin Center in 2013 (I think that was the year).

- My fifth would be a tie between Paul McCartney at Minute Maid Park, Lyle Lovett every time I see him, Diana Krall at a theater I can't remember the name of in Santa Rosa (CA), every ACL Music Festival I've ever attended (Stevie Wonder, Al Green, The Mavericks, Los Lobos, Texas Tornados, etc.), and at the Texas State Fair back in the late 1980s after Texas beat OU when I caught this up and coming country star named Garth Brooks on a trailer stage with about 200 other people.

(Sorry, I know that last one was cheating a bit.)
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Shawn Colvin and Alyson Krauss (Chicago outdoor venue north of the city whose name I am blanking)

I'll have to give this some thought myself, but it's mostly going to be various Jimmy Buffett shows that my wife and I have attended over the last 30 years. Big Grin

Same here other than the Clapton concert mentioned above - one of my favorite memories is from Birmingham in the summer of '91 where we had no tickets and with a friend strolled into the amphitheater through the beer/keg delivery fence, and found my friends on the lawn.
quote:
My most unique concert, if you could call it that, was seeing very early Sublime and No Doubt play a backyard party at a friends house when I was in high school.

How many people were there? Was there a bar set up? Pool?
This thread is impossible. I was born in the 80s and used to do about 30+ gigs a year on average. I was lucky that my first two gigs were U2 on the epic ZooTV tour, and Nirvana before I was a teenager.

Seeing Oasis for the first time also on the night I got my first fake ID in a snowstorm was a great night.

First Ashcroft, Coldplay (Parachutes), McCartney...

Jamiroquai in Montreal 2005.

Arctic Monkeys for $11 with a couple hundred people was rather ace. In Miami 2014 was a superb trip.

Osheaga 2015 was amazing.

Too many though...

A good thread might be who haven't you seen, surprisingly. Answer: Radiohead.
1. Rolling Stones 50 & Counting (best by far) We saw this on pay per view on a big screen TV with a rack of lamb and a bottle of Hermitage

2. Jefferson Airplane and Iron Butterfly

3. Rolling Stones Steel Wheels

4. Nina Simone and Dave Van Ronk

5 and others- numerous oldies concerts, 4 Seasons, James Brown, Kingsmen, etc
In no particular order:

Chick Corea Electric Band, Arcata, CA, about 1990. All us hippies there were dancing and jumping around to the music. Great show, and Corea seemed amazed and thrilled to do 3 or 4 encores.

Smashing Pumpkins, San Jose arena, about '95. I'd seen them at a small gymnasium show in SF earlier in the year, to try out their set, but this show was so much better. Garbage opened, and the crowd/show was ridiculously into it. Evidently, the show the night before, up in SF (Cow Palace or Civic maybe), sucked.

The Fugees, Tibetan Freedom Concert, SF, 1995. On a day of amazing performances, damn, this one was special.

Foo Fighters, Jambalaya Club-Arcata, CA, Winter of '94/'95. Depending on who you ask, it was either their first or second ever show, they had only about 30 minutes of material to play, opened for some crappy local band called Small Fish, but I'll never forget the vibe that we were seeing something amazing.

Justin Timberlake. Indianapolis. About 2013 or '14. A perfect show. It's easy to see the brilliance of him the second he took the stage.

HM. Rolling Stones, Indy Motor Speedway, July 4, 2015. Yes, there were many tens of thousands of people there, and I can take/leave the Stones, but damn that was an amazing set.

HM. No Doubt, Catalyst Nightclub in '98. Good friends, on my birthday, a perfect evening.

HM. Metallica, Cow Palace, about '96. Really aggressive mosh pit, me and my big dude pal George had a blast crashing into equally big dudes, and helping to pull panicked teens out of the scrum once they'd had enough. A bloody nose or three, but no fights broke out, thankfully.
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
and at the Texas State Fair back in the late 1980s after Texas beat OU when I caught this up and coming country star named Garth Brooks on a trailer stage with about 200 other people.

Late '80's. Must have been in 1989, VB. In 1985, 1986, 1987 and 1988 OU kicked the T-Sips ass. Razz Wink
Great thread. Some memorable shows:
Grateful Dead at Soldier Field
Clapton
Lyle Lovett w the Large Band
George Clinton & Parliament w Taj Majal, Keb Mo, and Violent Femmes as openers
Buffett in Cincinnati during a rain storm
Little Feat

The one guy I always wanted to see live that I missed was SRV. Glad to see a number of folks were able to see him play.
I'm going for most eclectic.

Jefferson Airplane--Grant Park, 1969

The Band--numerous times, the first at the Aire Crown theater, 1971

Woody Allen (with, believe it or not, Jim Croce opening)--Mill Run Playhouse, 1972

Mahavishnu Orchestra--Aragon Ballroom, 1973 (my most jaw-dropping concert)

Steve Martin--Amazingrace, circa 1974 (He knew he was funny and he was going to kill you.)

Bruce Springsteen--Auditorium Theater, 1975 (better than expected, but never had interest to see again.)

Gary Burton with Pat Metheny and Mick Goodrick--Amazingrace, 1975

Keith Jarrett--Amazing Grace--1975

Pat Metheny's first group--Amazingrace-1976

Spinal Tap--Club Metro--circa 1986

Fishbone--Club Metro--circa 1986

Ron Carter with a string quartet (!)--Catalina Bar & Grill, 1999

Charlie Haden and Quartet West, Wadsworth Theater, 2004

Cream reunion--Madison Square Garden, 2005

Additional shows, Charles Mingus, Carla Bley, McCoy Tyner, Bill Cosby (pre-Quaaludes, 1969), George Carlin (in Vegas), Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, Cecil Taylor (the most difficult concert I've been to), Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes opening for Tiny Tim (!) and Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons (I the only hippie in a sea of greasers and girls with giant blonde bouffants).
OK, I'll play. Easy to pick my number 1. 2-5 are in no particular order.

1. The Who (1980) -- We had tenth row center seats, and I just remember standing there as they started Baba O'Riley (third song) and grinning ear to ear.

2. Talking Heads (1982?) -- Tina Weymouth was pregnant and Tom Tom Club opened up for the Heads.

3. Supertramp (1979) -- 1979 One of my earliest concerts and though we had bad seats I couldn't believe how good they sounded.

4. Eagles -- Alpine Valley, WI. We had third row seats and Jackson Browne, who we had seen the night before in Chicago, came out to perform Take It Easy with them.

5. Todd Rundgren and Utopia -- I've seen Utopia 2 times and Todd solo thric, but my favorite concert was probably Utopia at Alpine Valley. Good seats, great weather, and an experienced Utopia crowd. The energy during songs like Love is the Answer and Just One Victory was amazing.

Honorable Mentions
Stevie Wonder in the round at Assembly Hall in Champaign, IL.

Keb Mo at House of Blues in Chicago. Seen him 4 times, but the small venue and it being the first time made it the best.

Aretha Franklin, also at House of Blues. She had to take a fairly long break in the middle, but it was still great seeing this icon.

Biggest Surprise
Girlfriend at the time bought tickets for a night with Windham Hill artists. Wasn't exactly the most invigorating concert, and then Michael Hedges cam on stage with just his guitar. Incredible.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
and at the Texas State Fair back in the late 1980s after Texas beat OU when I caught this up and coming country star named Garth Brooks on a trailer stage with about 200 other people.

Late '80's. Must have been in 1989, VB. In 1985, 1986, 1987 and 1988 OU kicked the T-Sips ass. Razz Wink

Yeah, it might have been 1990 now that I think about it - it was the year Lasher's FG attempt went wide at the end of the game.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

Yeah, it might have been 1990 now that I think about it - it was the year Lasher's FG attempt went wide at the end of the game.

Speaking of the 1985 season, you do remember who the Sooners QB was... Troy Aikman. Cool
1) 2004 An unplugged (acoustic) benefit concert with Randy Bachman, the Barenaked Ladies and Neil Young, in a school auditorium with seats only 30 feet away.

2) 1994 The Rolling Stones "Voodoo Lounge" tour, front row center and Keith Richards even playing for me a guitar riff when I yelled out Happy Birthday to him.

3) 2005 Cher Final Tour with the Village People, with front center tickets gifted to me by the Village People, friends of mine. My buddy and business partner who was to join me got too wasted the night before to attend so I took my lawyer's wife instead. If you've never seen Cher live that is a shame.

4) 1991 Van Halen For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge tour; I went with 3 girls and it was an unforgettable night. Smile

5) 1982 Scorpions and Blue Oyster Cult on my 16th birthday with the quintessential pretty girl next door and a birthday autographed Heineken bottle from the bands.

It was hard to choose but 5 and these were special for their own reasons, not intending to rank them with each other. Am fortunate to have been there.
Cool
quote:
quote:

that's it. Love that venue

When I lived in Chicago, I saw David Sandborn and Al Jarreau at Ravinia. It got me hooked on jazz and I haven't looked back. Great times with my cousins and their bus load of friends.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:

Mahavishnu Orchestra--Aragon Ballroom, 1973 (my most jaw-dropping concert)

Cream reunion--Madison Square Garden
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers.

Nice list, although I wouldn't include comedians. The above are pretty impressive. I watch the Cream reunion at Albert hall on YouTube, they were ripping. Fishbone is a good show, as are the Band, and I was able to catch Pat Metheny once.
quote:
Originally posted by Azwiese:
quote:

Legitimately, the dream. Sublime is the one band I never saw (dude died when I was 18, and I don't think Tucson was ever a huge spot for ska-punk in the mid-90s).

Yeah, that is cool. No doubt are ok, but to see Sublime at a house party is epic.
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:

Stevie Ray Vaughn and Lonnie Mack UCSD Gymnasium (1985-ish). Awesome show in small venue. We were able to get right up front for SRV. SRV's omitted many of his hits from his set and instead seemed to try to out-blues Lonnie Mack. Best show I have seen.

Social Distortion Wabash Hall 1987-ish. Small venue, very high energy. I found myself in the mosh pit several times that .

<head slap> how could I forget, I was at that SRV show. I'd have to add that to my list. Incidentally I was at the social D show as well, saw them a few times I can verify there were some huge dudes in the pit that night. I went to about 50 hard core punk shows around 85-87ish with the dead kennedys at California theater and bad brains at, somewhere, sticking out at the best punk shows I've seen.
I'd have to add a couple of HMs
Santana at the 20th anniversary of the release of Abraxis with Gregg Rollie and Neil Shon, open air amphitheater, I've seen him several times, but this was the best.
Petty and Dylan, alone and together, SD sports arena, 86' maybe
Leo Kottke with tuck and patty Escondido performing arts
Pearl Jam Amsterdam 2012 - a huge fan picked the whole setlist for them to play. I've been to about 25 shows by them and that was the best setlist for avid fans.

GNR/Metallica Montreal riot concert. James Hetfield got burned and then Axl called off his show early. Riots ensued...memorable night if not for the music.

Metallica makeup shows circa 92 Forum Montreal - 3 hours of pure Metallica. Intense.

AC/DC late 1980's Montreal Forum. My first rock concert and I got sixth row seats. Great show.

Tragically Hip - Hampton Beach NH Casino circa 1996. Front row, yelling at Gord to play Nautical Disaster. He shook his head but then launched in to it.

Bfw
I guess most of the great concert experiences I think of involve classical music or jazz in really small venues.

I am reminded of an internship in college and rooming next to a guy a little older from NJ. I started telling him about great concerts I'd seen. I told him about Jefferson Starship and he told me about them being Jefferson Airplane. Me: Robby Krueger him: the doors.
Me: Neil Young him: Buffalo Springfield. I guess the best of those rock concerts was Devo - they were pretty incredible.

So now many years later I'd have to say some of the concerts that made the biggest impression were:

the Tokyo String Quartet at the UofI. They played the Ravel string quartet. I'd never heard that before and was just blown away.

the CSO with George Solti playing Beethoven's 9th. It was opening night of the season so the choir sang the Star Spangled Banner. I didn't know it could sound that good. And then the 9th was transcendent.

the CSO with Michael Tilson Thomas doing Mahler's 6th. Incredible and disturbing at the same time.

Keith Jarrett a couple of years ago. It was great. I think a lot of it was just being so happy to have seen him live.

Not a concert, but seeing the Magic Flute in the old opera house in Paris was pretty spectacular. Natalie Dessay nailed the queen of the night arias which she did not perform live many times.
I left one out because I was only thinking of rock concerts but I have to add it as it was probably the best concert I've ever been to...

Yehudi Menuhin's birthday concert at the Lincoln Center. He conducted, Ravi Shankar played, Winton Marsalis played, Allen bloody Ginsberg recited his own poetry. That was back in the mid 90's and I was only a late teen but I was blown away.
I usually remember these kinds of events, but I have been to so many that it is hard to recall. Here is my list which reflects my change in taste mainly to country as I age.

Eagles in 1980 at Florida Field with Jimmy Buffett as lead in. It was the day that the US Hockey Team won the Gold Medal and right before I left school to join the real world. The Eagles are my favorite band and I saw them five times live.

The Who in 1983 in the Citrus Bowl. I thought that they were old then, but it was a great show.

Bruce Springsteen in 2002 in Columbia. He was feeling it that night and played for nearly four hours without a break. In December, he ended with "Santa Claus is Coming to Town".

Kenny Chesney in 2003-05, all in Columbia. Chesney brings emotion and passion to all of his shows. He is coming to our local festival next June and I cannot wait.

Garth Brooks earlier this year in Charleston. Garth is so good that you can hate country music and still like him. His wife, Trisha Yearwood, also performed a few songs.
quote:
Originally posted by scbeerman:
I usually remember these kinds of events, but I have been to so many that it is hard to recall. Here is my list which reflects my change in taste mainly to country as I age.

Eagles in 1980 at Florida Field with Jimmy Buffett as lead in. It was the day that the US Hockey Team won the Gold Medal and right before I left school to join the real world. The Eagles are my favorite band and I saw them five times live.

The Who in 1983 in the Citrus Bowl. I thought that they were old then, but it was a great show.

Bruce Springsteen in 2002 in Columbia. He was feeling it that night and played for nearly four hours without a break. In December, he ended with "Santa Claus is Coming to Town".

Kenny Chesney in 2003-05, all in Columbia. Chesney brings emotion and passion to all of his shows. He is coming to our local festival next June and I cannot wait.

Garth Brooks earlier this year in Charleston. Garth is so good that you can hate country music and still like him. His wife, Trisha Yearwood, also performed a few songs.

Can't wait - 1 month till I see Garth Brooks for the 1st time!
I forgot maybe the most memorable one of all. For a variety of reasons, I have been privy to many private concerts including Brooks & Dunn, Darius Rucker, Lee Brice, Phil Vassar and recently Jennifer Nettles. However, easily the best one occurred at a beer convention in 2004 at the Dolphin Hotel in Orlando.

It was in the exhibition room where all of the beer brand teams were showing their latest stuff, and of course, there was free beer (not really as we pay for it in other ways), free food and celebrities. It started with the O'Jays (background music) then got a bit better with the Pussycat Dolls. After that, we got the announcement to stay put for get this, TOM PETTY and THE HEARTBREAKERS. What a night!! We are still pinching ourselves that we were treated to an unexpected, free concert with Tom Petty.
Great list - mine in no particular order other than Springsteen.

Bruce Springsteen - Ames, Iowa - December 1980 Unbelievably good and impossibly long show. The greatest I have witnessed.

Santana - Paolo Soleri Amphitheatre, Santa Fe - October 1986 - It was mostly the original line up and the music was old 60s and 70s music.

BB King - several times and places - The King of the Blues

Eric Clapton - Paramount Theatre, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, September 1982 - Place holds 1800 people. I was first row balcony. EC played nothing but the blues. An intimate show for sure.

Little Feat - Hancher Auditorium, Iowa City, Iowa, October 1978, I was not familiar with them at the time, went with a friend and was completely amazed.

J Geils Band - Hancher Auditorium, October 1979, last rock show ever at Hancher due to the cost of cleaning the arm rests because people were standing up and dancing. Very high energy stuff.

Stevie Ray Vaughn with Jeff Beck, The Pit, Albuquerque, it is between he and Carlos Santana for best live guitar.
Tried to put together a list of some of the more memorable shows. Im sure I missed many and some bands Ive seen so many times its hard to pick a single show.

Little Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles and Jose Feliciano – mid/late 60’s at Camden County Music Fair a 1500 seat circus tent in my home town. My dad took me as he loved music and I was easy to drag along as a toddler. Sadly he skipped one of the last shows before they closed down the venue which was Cream

Diana Ross – dozens of times, many venues around the country and often in her seats. Just an amazing performer that owns the stage though time finally seems to catching up

Jackson Browne – Running on Empty Tour at Mann Music Center in Philly August 1978

Springsteen – 78 Darkness tour my favorite album and 5th row center. Still my favorite show among dozens including several surprise shows at bars in Jersey. My ticket was under $10. Honorable mentions to Opening Night of original River Tour in Ann Arbor with my parents and siblings as well as.

Nils Lofgren – before joining E Street Band at small clubs in Philly, his solo shows were something special and still are. He is a brilliant musician and even better singer/songwriter. He still tours solo at small venues. Don’t miss if you get the chance.

Eagles – Long Run Tour at Spectrum in Philly 11/79

The Clash at Bonds in NYC – say no more

The Who Farewell Tour 1982 at JFK Stadium in Philly. They went on to play 9 more farewell tours and Ive been to 5 or 6 of those also but you always remember your first LOL

Stevie Ray – Ripley Music Hall Philly 10/83. Mind blowing

REM – October 1983 at Rutgers University Busch Campus student center.

Smithereens – several times in fraternity basement parties and Court Tavern at Rutgers College in early 80s. A great bar band

X – anywhere they are playing. one of my favorite bands to see in bar

The Round Up - June 1981 the week after I finished high school they had a massive concert at JFK stadium with 38 Special, Molly Hatchet, Outlaws, Allmans, Charlie Daniels and Marshall Tucker. No security whatsoever in stifling heat and humidity. They sprayed the crowd down with firehoses through the event. They let a bunch of 17 and 18 year olds walk in with a 10 gallon Igloo cooler full of Screwdrivers among other things. A crazy all day party with people passing out left and right. Additional entertainment provided by motorcycle gangs pummeling people in the parking lot. The craziest concert situation Ive ever been a part of but an amazing concert.

Ronnie Lane Benefit with Jeff Beck , Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton backed by Ronnie Wood, Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts, Kenny Jones and Joe Cocker among others at Madison Square Garden 1983

Lou Reed – 10/84 at Beacon Theatre with Robert Quine

The Band with Rick Danko, Richard Manuel, Garth Hudson and Levon Helm. 2/86 at Lone Star Café in NYC. We went to the later show (they played two that night). One of the last shows before Manuel killed himself a couple weeks later.

David Lee Roth – 10/86. His first solo tour post VH - Eat em and Smile put together a super group with Steve Vai, Billy Sheehan and Greg Bissonette. Just a killer band backing him every bit as good as the VH guys. One of my most memorable Rock n Roll experiences because I was in their dressing room when they came in just after the last encore. My GF and I hung out with DLR for a couple hours BSing after the show. He is a surprisingly smart, funny guy in person and a great story teller

Bon Jovi – Slippery When Wet tour – several nights but the best was playing to his hometown crowd on New Year’s Eve 12/31/86 at The Meadowlands.

Def Leppard – Hysteria Word Tour 1987 saw a few shows. First tour with Rick Allen playing drums after he lost one arm in car accident. Amazing

Stones – Two shows stand out. 1989 Opening night Steel Wheels tour at Veterans Stadium. Didn’t have a ticket and no friends wanted to go. Kinda broke but took subway myself to check out the scene. During warm up band Im holding a finger up and guy pulls up in limo. Just flew in from the UK on private jet and his GF bailed on him last minute. Friend of the band he gave me his extra, second row center. They played Shattered as the 3rd song and blew up the sound system which created a 30-minute delay. Didn’t play it again that tour. 50 & Counting Tour May 2013 in the pit at Honda in Anaheim. Guest appearance by Mick Taylor on Midnight Rambler and they play better these days as many of the 70’s/early 80’s shows I saw they were falling down wasted.

Pearl Jam – many shows but favorite is still the first at Iguanas in TJ 1990. Crazy mosh pit and only 1000 capacity

Matthew Sweet – Girlfriend Tour with Richard Lloyd and Ivan Julian (filling in for Robert Quine) at Chestnut Cabaret in Philly 1991

U2- Favorite concerts were Zoo TV tour 10/92 at Spectrum in Philly. They did an arena tour before they hit all the stadiums. Again at LA Forum last May/June in Pit about 10 feet from The Edge (my preferred spot) once with my son and a few days later with my best friend

Pleasure Barons at Belly Up in 1993 featuring Country Dick Montana, Mojo Nixon and Dave Alvin. Just a drunken brawl onstage and unforgettable raucous fun.

Would love to see greenwine try to put together a list. His might make mine pale
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
5. 1987 - Motley Crue with Guns N Roses (Lakeland, FL) - Ok, the Crue sucked, but why this show was so great was 1) how much better G'N'R was than Motley Crue, but also, with only 1 album under their belt, they practically played the entire Appetite for Destruction album

4. 2011 - Judas Priest (Epitath Tour, Tampa, FL) - was special in that they played an extended show with a balanced setlist with songs from 1974 to 2008.

3. 2016 - Iron Maiden (Book of Souls Tour, Ft. Lauderdale & Las Vegas) - Amazing set design, good balance for songs from new album and classics

2. 2012 - Iron Maiden (Maiden England Tour - Atlanta, GA) - with Alice Cooper opening. Amazing to see both Alice and Maiden in 1 one show. Was a retro tour for Maiden - played songs from albums released 1980-1992

1. 1988 - Iron Maiden (7th Son Tour - Tampa, FL) - Opening band was Savatage which has sort of morphed into Trans Siberian Orchestra these days and local to the Tampa area. Bruce Dickinson in his prime, when he truly was the "Air Raid Siren"

Met Iron Maiden at bar in the Bahamas they hung out in (may have owned) around Spring Break 1985. Greenwine was actually with me on that trip but I dont think he was with me that night as I took out a couple girls I met at our hotel.
My first concert around 1980 or 81 was the Cars at the Cow Palace, which led to a great string of concerts there.

I went to a bunch of 'Day on the Greens'. The ones with Journey, Santana and one with Metallica stand out for various reasons. I remember Metallica as being before Ratt and Y&T Smile Also remember Journey following Black Sabbath.

BB King anytime, but with George Thorogood at Shoreline (which is normally a shitty venue) was very good.

Not so Silent Night in San Jose (also normally a shitty venue). Disturbed one year and Sum41/Linkin Park the other stand out.

I've never had anything but a super time at Vaughn's with or without Kermit Ruffins playing. There is to me nothing like eating BBQ and getting stoned with the band between sets. Unless you're running off to jump in the hot tub with someone between sets, which also seems to happen from time to time there.

On that theme Motley Cru and Alice Cooper was all strippers and fireworks. Who doesn't love strippers and fireworks.

I'll forgive those of you who have Billy Joel and Elton John on your lists. Different ages, different strokes and all, but if anyone puts Adele on their list don't wonder why I'm not reacting to your posts, I've blocked you . Smile
First concert was Triumph's Thunder Seven tour, they opened for Aerosmith. No idea how Aerosmith was that night. I vaguely remember one of the other boys mothers smoking a hand rolled cigarette. My how naive I was.

Best concert: Hmmm, the easy answer would be Pearl Jam, just not sure which show. In reality it was probably when my wife took me to my first Tool concert. I recall walking out of it with my eyes wide yelling "Now that's what Rock and Roll looks like in the 21st century". I was in awe. I then promptly realized I had no idea where I parked the car. Strangely that wasn't the only time I lost a vehicle at a concert.

Other notables that round out the Top 5:
Depeche Mode Songs of Faith and Devotion tour
My first Symphony experience. Watching the orchestra work its magic and reveling in the acoustics of the room while all dressed up and fancy was fantastic.
Dual headliners of Metallica and G&R with Ice T's rock band Body Count.
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
.... Adele on their list don't wonder why I'm not reacting to your posts, I've blocked you . Smile

After discussing this at lunch an excellent point was made to me that this may appear homophobic. If you are gay and under 30 I will not block your posts. IF you're over 30 it really should be Cher, and I will block your posts. Please state your age when adding Adele so I'm not being insensitive.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
First concert game is fun also -

Police - Ghost in the Machine Tour 1981 or 1982 - making me either 9 or 10 - Birmingham Jefferson Civic Center in B'ham Alabama.

Had a blast. Also my first taste of beer from a redneck sitting in front of us. Thank you Mr. Redneck

First concert, Michael Jackson Victory tour 1984. At the height of his fame, he played Cleveland Municipal Stadium in front of 70,000 fans. My dad took my sister and me, it was great. 11 years old
quote:
Originally posted by BOMBA503:
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:

Met Iron Maiden at bar in the Bahamas they hung out in (may have owned) around Spring Break 1985. Greenwine was actually with me on that trip but I dont think he was with me that night as I took out a couple girls I met at our hotel.

Awesome. They did record part of "Somewhere in Time" in the Bahamas and I think Steve Harris has had a place there for years
quote:

Police - Ghost in the Machine Tour 1981 or 1982 - making me either 9 or 10 - Birmingham Jefferson Civic Center in B'ham Alabama.

Had a blast. Also my first taste of beer from a redneck sitting in front of us. Thank you Mr. Redneck

Oh my...I call my first concert Rat Poison...mainly due to it being Poison opening for Ratt in March of 1987 at the Sun Dome in Tampa. First time I saw (in real life), chicks wearing spandex pants
quote:

My first was Van Halen, I believe 1981. International Amphitheatre in Chicago. What a shithole! The sound was terrible, and I recall wondering if that was what it would always be like - thankfully it was uphill from there. David Lee Roth with furry chaps, but most young males like myself were hoping for a glimpse of Valerie Bertinelli.
Like Pinotlovr, I love Iron Maiden. Along with Metallica and Led Zeppelin they are my all-time favorites. A few of their shows would be HM's for me. This year's show for pretty much the same reasons he gave. Mostly I loved the setlist and the omission of a couple of songs I never need to hear again. On the Somewhere in Time tour (86 or 87) it was the days of getting out of bed early and getting in line at a store that had a Ticketron outlet. Ahead of us kids were excited about getting 1st row in the upper bowl, so we were getting nervous. It was me and two buddies, and I guess a block of three tickets was a good number. 7th row within easy spitting distance of Steve Harris, when he wasn't running around the stage. I'm not into "idols" so much, but for me in music, it's him and James Hetfield.
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
First concert, Michael Jackson Victory tour 1984. At the height of his fame, he played Cleveland Municipal Stadium in front of 70,000 fans. My dad took my sister and me, it was great. 11 years old

You must not have been sitting very close. You were perfect age for him to invite for a sleep-over Eek
quote:
quote:

You must not have been sitting very close. You were perfect age for him to invite for a sleep-over Eek

I was going to say it, but I resisted.
- Nirvana Unplugged in NYC- Luckiest venue I've ever been to.
- Guns N Roses - 1987 at the Long Beach Arena. I was a kid and it was the first loud, insane and crazy concert I'd ever been to.
- Paco de Lucia's - Last show in California ('12 or '13)
- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - '91 or '92 the early 90s in Los Angeles
- White Stripes - Easily the loudest live performance I've ever heard in my life

Others: younger Ben Harper shows, Beastie Boys, Tool, Sonic Youth, James Brown, Fugazi, Sublime.
quote:
quote:

Yeah, we were pretty far away but the show was great. Maybe I should've left off the part about my age
quote:
Originally posted by WinoCA:
- Nirvana Unplugged in NYC- Luckiest venue I've ever been to.
- Guns N Roses - 1987 at the Long Beach Arena. I was a kid and it was the first loud, insane and crazy concert I'd ever been to.
- Paco de Lucia's - Last show in California ('12 or '13)
- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - '91 or '92 the early 90s in Los Angeles
- White Stripes - Easily the loudest live performance I've ever heard in my life

Others: younger Ben Harper shows, Beastie Boys, Tool, Sonic Youth, James Brown, Fugazi, Sublime.

Nirvana Unplugged ?!? there isn't a big enough Jealousy emoticon for that.
I can't believe I left these two off my initial post.

Foo Fighters, Allstate Arena, 07 I think. Dave Grohl made this a memorable event almost by himself. I'm sure I've never seen a performer have as much fun on stage. The whole band was extremely tight and energetic, but he is at a different level.

Tool in 06 or 07. Ridiculous musicianship - on a level with Rush in the hard rock genre. Extremely loud but still sounded great, and the video screens they use on stage with custom visuals made the show an experience that melded sound and vision perfectly.

Another HM would be every time I've seen Flogging Molly, especially a St. Patrick's Day show at the Aragon Ballroom. They have almost as much fun onstage as Dave Grohl.
quote:
- White Stripes - Easily the loudest live performance I've ever heard in my life.

I can almost say for sure that my tinnitus was caused by a concert when I was 20 or so. It would be interesting to know how many people now 30 and up have it due to a concert.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
- White Stripes - Easily the loudest live performance I've ever heard in my life.

I can almost say for sure that my tinnitus was caused by a concert when I was 20 or so. It would be interesting to know how many people now 30 and up have it due to a concert.

(raises hand)
Concert, earbuds, or music in the car. Or a combo of all 3.
Closet I came top Zeppelin was Jimmy Page at Ronnie Lane benefit and would have loved to see the whole band. Not a huge Metallica guy but they were great at Woodstock 94. We were right up front but in a protected area from the huge mosh mud pit.
Nine inch Nails wrested in the mud before coming on stage and came up covered in mud head to toe. That was one of a few crazy performances along with red hot chili peppers in their light bulb costumes. The list performers top to bottom was varied and amazing.
great thread. so tough to nail down a top 5. my highlights would probably be, in no particular order:

- Radiohead - Kid A/Amnesiac tour @ Molson Park starting to play as the sun set then having a huge red harvest moon rise behind the stage with thom signing to it and johnny doing what he does on all sorts of homemade electronic equipment

- Beastie Boys & (supposed to be)A Tribe Called Quest @ Molson Park. Beasties were on the hello nasty tour and having seen them 4 times, this was the best. ATCQ never made across the border but Biz Markie was in town, gets up on the turntables and rips an old school set that got the beasties back out and ultimately biz records the infamous benny and jets cover where he knows maybe half the words.

- Roger Waters - went to both the wall & dark side of the moon tours about 5-10 years ago - amazing. more of a show than a concert but one i still think about regularly.

- Nas - 2014 - Time is Illmatic screening followed at the ex, followed by Nas performing illmatic cover to cover. He might have rhymed half the words on the album, crowd got the rest. That performance solidified the half-man half-amazing bit.

- The Roots - seen them play a few times now, but i think it was about 04/05 they played the docks, did about 40 min of their material, followed by almost two hours of improv - only to have black thought come out under a spotlight in the encore, drop to his knees and scream out "generals gatheres in their masses.." as the band broke into covering war pigs.

HM's to Gang Starr moment of truth tour @ guvernment; ATCQ reunion tour @ guvernment; John Hammond @ Hugh's Room; Herbie Hancock, late 90's @ roy thompson hall (he played a sea shell like a sax); arcade fire, neon bible tour at massey - i dont think they even used amps and they blew the lid off the place; Death From Above 1979 Boxing day show at Danforth music hall - unbelievable energy & sound from those two dudes.
First concert ever? Anaheim Convention Center around 1975/6....The Guess Who was the main band. Warm up band was this start up band called Aerosmith. Loudest band? The Plasmatics (featuring Wendy O Williams Big Grin) at the Whiskey a Go Go in the late 70s. Deaf for a couple days. But what I saw was worth it Big Grin.
Damn! Wish I was in Philly. Springsteen killed it a couple nights ago playing his longest set in the US ever at 4:03. Played a ton of songs from first two albums and rarities not on albums like Fever and Thundercrack. My boys were on stage in the wings and I could have been too. I guess that's the price of living in paradise
My first concert was Kiss, and they were backed up by The Rockets. Strangely enough, The Rockets were the opener for two other concerts I attended. Unfortunately, one of those other times was when Joe Cocker was supposed to open for Bob Seger but he couldn't make it into Chicago because of snow.
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
quote:

How many people were there? Was there a bar set up? Pool?
Maybe 40 people? All crammed in the backyard of a run down house in Long Beach. The owner of the house was friends of theirs and charged $5 to get in to cover the cost of the kegs.
This got me thinking what are the concerts I wish I had gone to:
Pearl jam
Rolling Stones
Jimmy Buffet
Itzaak Perlman at a solo recital when I had a chance to go.

But without a doubt, number one regret, concert-wise, is never seeing Peter Gabriel. I am surprised he hasn't received one mention.
Peter Gabriel closed Woodstock 94. One of my favorite voices.

You can cross of Jimmy Buffett this Friday with me at Kaboo. Tickets aren't cheap but I'll bet they will be that day on Craig's list

Sadly the most prominent name on my list will never be crossed off. Had a chance to see Bowie on the Serious Moonlight tour and passed thinking I'd wait for a tour backing an album I liked more
Timing is perfect Jabe. I don't know how to rank them in any order. but some memorable ones include:
Peter Gabriel War Memorial Rochester NY- US tour opener 1993. Had tickets for tour opener, but was driving home from work two nights earlier and saw a bunch of lights flashing so I decided to stop by. Parked across the street from the stage entrance and saw a few people milling about. Crossed the street and listened at the stage door and heard Family Snapshot soundcheck. Hung out another 20-30 minutes and everything got quiet inside. Band members started coming out of the venue and riding away on bicycles. A few minutes later Peter Gabriel comes out with a bike too. I crossed the street casually and could tell he saw me out of the corner of his eye. I called out to him before he got on his bike. I had a copy of the US CD which I had been listening to in the car since it's release. I asked for his autograph on the Blood of Eden page of the CD booklet and he graciously gave it to me. I told him I was a big fan, thanked him and he rode off into the night on his bike.
The next night, my buddy and went to the venue and parked across the street from the stage door. There were about 20-30 people milling about. I knew there would likely be a full dress rehearsal before opening night and was hoping to hear most of it outside the venue. About 5-10 minutes after the music started, Peter's stage manager opened the stage door, asked the security guard how many people were outside and then said "Let's let our new friends in". My buddy and I went into the floor of the venue and sat wherever we wanted- about 2 rows from stage. IN total maybe 100 people got to see a full show. Near the end, during In Your Eyes, Peter invited people on the elevated stage that came out on the floor to about center ice. My buddy got on stage but they stopped the flow of people before I could. I thought it was going to collapse and crush his crew below. It was such a good night. Music was solid, and the intimacy was fantastic. We had great seats the next night also- about 8 more rows back from where we were) and that show was a bonus.

My wife said the Peter Gabriel Sting concert @ MSG we went to several weeks ago was one of her favorite ever. We had great seats and it was pretty good.
quote:
quote:
.... Adele on their list don't wonder why I'm not reacting to your posts, I've blocked you . Smile

After discussing this at lunch an excellent point was made to me that this may appear homophobic. If you are gay and under 30 I will not block your posts. IF you're over 30 it really should be Cher, and I will block your posts. Please state your age when adding Adele so I'm not being insensitive.

Adele gave the most awesome perfomance at Madison Square Garden the other night!!!!

Seeing is believing!!
1) 1973 Forum in Inglewood, Thanksgiving night "The Who" Quadrophenia Tour. Keith Moon had passed out the night before at the cow place in S.F.. No one knew if he could play. He did. I paid $6.00 for my ticket.
2) 1972 Pink Floyd, Carnegie Hall. Dark Side of the Moon Tour.
3) 1972 Forum Joe Cocker with opening act, 20 year old Stevie Wonder
4) 1974 Universal Amphitheater David Bowie
5) 1982 Universal Amphitheater Toto
6) 1973 Anaheim Convention Center. Bread with the opening act of a new band called 'Steely Dan"
quote:
Originally posted by Jabe11:
Nice list, Lg, except you kind of killed your cred throwing Toto in there Wink

Sorry about that except Toto was killer in concert back then.
I could really screw up the credibility and replace Toto with

1979 Universal Amphitheater Kenny Loggins,
The Pogues, Club Soda, Montreal 1986
The English Beat, Concert Hall, Toronto 1982
Iggy Pop, Halloween Party, Bingeman Park, Kitchener 1983
REM, Maurice Richard Arena, Montreal 1986
Eric Clapton, Saginaw (MI) Civic Center, 1979
Sebadoh, The Mean Fiddler, Dublin 1996
Wilco, Chicago Auditorium Theatre, 2006
Neil Young at Desert Trip this past weekend...a 20 minute Cowgirl in the Sand that rocked as hard as anything he's ever done...his backup band, including a couple of Willie Nelson's kids, was superb...and his voice was still strong. A better show than the first time I saw him over 35 years ago!

If he comes to town, I highly recommend seeing him.
With all the concerts Ive been to he's one that has eluded me to date. Thought about going to desert trip but way too much personal chaos in my life at the moment.

Sorry I missed it especially the 20 minute Cowgirl in the Sand which is probably my favorite of his.

Glad to hear he rocked it!
quote:
Originally posted by Wino90210:
Neil Young at Desert Trip this past weekend...a 20 minute Cowgirl in the Sand that rocked as hard as anything he's ever done...his backup band, including a couple of Willie Nelson's kids, was superb...and his voice was still strong. A better show than the first time I saw him over 35 years ago!

Neil Young--solo with acoustic guitar only--Auditorium Theatre--1971
quote:
With all the concerts Ive been to he's one that has eluded me to date. Thought about going to desert trip but way too much personal chaos in my life at the moment.

Sorry I missed it especially the 20 minute Cowgirl in the Sand which is probably my favorite of his.

He played The Fox Theatre in Pomona between weekends...if I had known how good his current shows are, I would have made the trek out to the inland empire!
The best concert I have seen was Billy Joel in 1977. It was right after The Stranger came out but before it became a hit. He was playing in a wonderfully acoustic auditorium at the U. of Michigan and it was filled with long time fans of his music. He played his butt off and did about 6 encores.

The next best one was probably a Jimmy Buffett concert. Any of his are fun to go to but this one around 1992 was special because I was needing a release from work. It was like therapy as it was like an island party. Great atmosphere.

I saw the Police when they had their reunion about 5 years ago(?). Superb musicians and they did a great job playing their songs. Stewart Copeland is a fantastic drummer.

I got to see Jerry Jeff Walker at a bar in Austin in the early 80s and it was a great show and a lot of fun.
quote:

Nice. I'm a big fan of Neil Young. I got offered really nice seats for oldchella from some service providers but couldn't make it happen between work and the kids. Bummer.
quote:
quote:

He played The Fox Theatre in Pomona between weekends...if I had known how good his current shows are, I would have made the trek out to the inland empire!

Were those acoustic shows? If so I've passed on a few. While nice that is not the real Neil and I wouldn't consider that as having seen him. I want the full rocking experience.
quote:

Were those acoustic shows? If so I've passed on a few. While nice that is not the real Neil and I wouldn't consider that as having seen him. I want the full rocking experience.

Yes, in my case he was in front of me, so I thought I saw him, imagine my surprise to find out after 45 years I didn't. FWIW the person I did see was about 26 at the time.
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:

The next best one was probably a Jimmy Buffett concert. Any of his are fun to go to but this one around 1992 was special because I was needing a release from work. It was like therapy as it was like an island party. Great atmosphere.

I get this prescription filled at least once a year. Big Grin
Copied from another thread I cant beleive I forgot to include this one. Sorry for the duplicate but I jhad to add it to the record on this thread.

Black Eyed Peas - The End

Start to finish a fun album albeit not a cerebral one. It was exactly what i needed when it came along. I had the good fortune of catching a couple small shows before the it took over the charts. One of my favorite nights of all time was going to see them at Pacific Ampitheatre. It was at personal low point and I told my best friend we were going and I was paying. When we got there the show was sold out and there wasnt a single ticket being scalped. We found a back door leading into the back of the concession stands propped open by "The Can" ( a crumpled up can of Bud). Neither of us had ever snuck in a show but we agreed this was going to be our first time. We walked in, grabbed a beer and kept going. With a few hundred dollars in my pocket I expected to spend on tickets the party was on and we went heavy on the Margaritas. The warm up band was actually LMFAO (had no idea who they were at the time) before they hit it big as well. Getting smashed to Party Rock and the BEP's is a fond memory but ultimately karma delivered what we deserved. While dancing around in the isles up front a large security guard asked for our tickets which of course we had none. My response? We dont need no stinkin' tickets, we got The Can!

Help was called in and from there we stumbled out with a team of security guards in tow to the Chorus of "I got a Feeling". Of course we we both had Margaritas in our hands and toasted "L'Chaim!" at the appropriate moment. Once outside they said I hope you two idiots dont plan on driving to which we answered "Taxi!" and laughed our way back to his home a couple miles away.

We snuck in and it was only fitting that we get bounced out. The universe was back in balance.

Its one of my best stories and I actually wrote the whole thing down so I didnt forget the details. I dont know that I've ever laughed more or had a better time at a concert.
quote:
quote:
No...full on electric. Though at desert trip he played a the first few tunes solo on piano/guitar.

Very cool wino! My dream would be him reuniting with Nils Lofgren and rocking through the classics.

They played together today at the Bridge School benefit! Missed again Frown
Lots of great concerts listed. Here's a few that come to mind, not in order of preference. I'm guessing my list would fall in the eclectic category.

George Shearing on piano with Neil Swainson on bass in a small cafe/tea room, Toronto, 1980s. 50 people or so, on a Sunday afternoon. Amazing.

Muddy Waters at the Colonial Tavern Late 1970s. Legendary performance. Had a table right next to Pine Top Perkins on piano, casual conversation with Pine Top and Muddy (separately) between sets.

Todd Rundgren at the El Macambo tavern in Toronto. Table in front of stage, feet on the stage. Tickets for 2 shows in one night. (had the great seats for the second show).

Emerson Lake & Palmer at the Olympic Stadium, Montreal 1977, with 63 piece orchestra. The orchestra was brought in for the first show of the tour then scrapped due to cost. They brought it back for Montreal which was the last show of the tour. General admission. Amazing performance. 30 yard line centre in relaxed Quebec atmosphere - sitting on blankets, taking turns going to fetch 18 Laurentide Ales at a crack (18 was the most one could carry - 6 per tray, 3 high) without spilling. Finding the car after foreshadowed a well known Sinefeld episode. The big O stadium is roughly a circle/oval. 7 floors of parking. Our group split up after some time and had it 4 levels and been there 2 hours when it finally emptied out enough for us to find the car. Memorable.

Beethoven's 9th, TSO, Yukka Pekka conducting, Mendelssohn Choir First 3 times I heard this, with Yukka Pekka conducting. Still my favorite symphony or classical piece. I get choked up every time I hear it live (If a good performance) when I hear and feel the beauty of the music and think about the incredible adversity Beethoven faced while producing it.

Stranglers at the Masonic Temple Couple of times in the 1970s. Fantastic band live.

Iggy Pop Saw him a couple of times at small/medium sized venues in Toronto. Difficult to match his performance energy and some great songs.

Mel Torme at the Imperial Room, Royal York Hotel 1985-ish. Dinner & Mel Torme -what's not to like.

World Scottish Highland Tattoo, Canadian National Exhibition Stadium 1975. Showing my heritage a bit here. My grandfather was in the Gordon Highlanders and Cameron Highlanders in WW1, and the Black Watch after. His first regiment was folded into the second because too many were killed to keep going as a single regiment. They fought in kilts, in trenches for the full war then stayed to clean up 6 more months, so they were in France from 1914-1919. My grandfather was also a top level piper. When he couldn't play anymore (mustard gas was hard on the lungs) he sold his pipes to a Pipe Major, who played them while marching up the beach at Normandy. These regiments are made of tough dudes. They and the Gurkhas were put across from the worst German positions. It was the Gordons who, as infantry, cleared the coast road of mines and marched into Tripoli while Montgomery was kicking Rommel's ass across North Africa. Not just guys in kilts playing music on a field but hundreds of years of valiant history, and real men in kilts playing great, stirring music on a field.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
SARS Fest has to be up there. Amongst many others like The Guess Who, Rush, Blue Rodeo, Justin Timberlake etc. fantastic performances by The Flaming Lips and The Rolling Stones but the concert was totally dominated by an epic AC/DC performance.

I was at the SARS concert too (we called it SARStock) but my memories are not so fond. It was very hot that day, concessions were nearly impossible to get and the sound wasn't great either from where I was standing...a mile away. Trying to get back to the city afterwards was also a challenge and I think my group walked 5 or 6 miles before we could hail a taxi.

Two positive memories though...AC/DC being simply fantastic and a few topless young ladies in the crowd. For some reason having the freedom to go topless in public was an issue back then so there was a lot of encouragement from the bands and emcees. I still have the issue of the Toronto newspaper from the next morning which had a special section on the show.
My first concert is a bit tricky. When I was about 10 I saw part of a Tommy James & The Shondells show and then a couple years later stumbled upon a free concert being given by Brownsville Station in a park in Toledo, Ohio.

My first concert as an adult was Peter Frampton at the Toledo Sports Arena. This was shortly after Frampton Comes Alive was released and I believe he played for well over three hours that night. It was magical and in my mind I can still see Frampton on that stage with his long hair flowing as he moved back and forth.

As for my 5 favorite concerts...

#1 Rush at Air Canada Centre, Toronto - September 22, 2007
Myself and 7 friends were able to go through Ticketmaster auctions and get 8 seats in the front row center. At one point in the show we all donned chef's hats (cooking chicken was a theme of that tour) and the look on Geddy Lee's face was priceless.

#2 Peter Frampton - March 30, 1976

#3 Rush at US Airways Center, Phoenix - June 16, 2011
Purchased front row tickets as a gift for my son who had just gotten his PhD from Arizona State. The tour photographer snapped a picture of us (back then you could buy concert photos from him) and I have that photo mounted and on the wall of my office.

#4 Rush at The Ahoy Arena, Rotterdam - October 16, 2007
A colleague and I were in Europe on a business trip and with a free weekend bought tickets to see Rush in Rotterdam as they were recording that show (released as Snakes & Arrows Live). We stood about three feet from the stage for the entire show and I remember these tall, blonde women walking through the crowd with mini kegs of Heineken strapped to their backs. You didn't need to leave your spot to get a beer just wave to the beautiful blonde and she would come your way!

#5 Nightwish at Six Flags Event Center, Des Moines - April 19, 2015
Nightwish play symphonic metal music (think Wagner merged with Metallica) and this venue turned out to be a defunct indoor tennis center. For the VIP meet & greet we were literally standing on the courts in an unused section of the building. The opening acts were okay but my friend and I found our way upstairs to a section that was supposed to be closed. We ended up talking with Nightwish's tour manager for about an hour until he got yelled at and we had to go down to the main floor.
eyesintime posted:
OK, I'll play. Easy to pick my number 1. 2-5 are in no particular order.

1. The Who (1980) -- We had tenth row center seats, and I just remember standing there as they started Baba O'Riley (third song) and grinning ear to ear.

2. Noprescriptionpharm (1982?) -- Tina Weymouth needs to  medications for infertility so she sought buy clomid online no prescription and Tom Tom Club just helping her get it.

3. Supertramp (1979) -- 1979 One of my earliest concerts and though we had bad seats I couldn't believe how good they sounded.

4. Eagles -- Alpine Valley, WI. We had third row seats and Jackson Browne, who we had seen the night before in Chicago, came out to perform Take It Easy with them.

5. Todd Rundgren and Utopia -- I've seen Utopia 2 times and Todd solo thric, but my favorite concert was probably Utopia at Alpine Valley. Good seats, great weather, and an experienced Utopia crowd. The energy during songs like Love is the Answer and Just One Victory was amazing.

Honorable Mentions
Stevie Wonder in the round at Assembly Hall in Champaign, IL.

Keb Mo at House of Blues in Chicago. Seen him 4 times, but the small venue and it being the first time made it the best.

Aretha Franklin, also at House of Blues. She had to take a fairly long break in the middle, but it was still great seeing this icon.

Biggest Surprise
Girlfriend at the time bought tickets for a night with Windham Hill artists. Wasn't exactly the most invigorating concert, and then Michael Hedges cam on stage with just his guitar. Incredible.

Thanks for the interesting stuff, it was very useful to learn something new.

robsutherland posted:

I was also at the SARStock (that's what my friends and I called it) at Downsview Park, getting there just before Justin Timberlake came on stage to an embarrassing reception from the crowd (booing and water bottles thrown at him).  Mick Jagger gets kudos from me for bringing Timberlake on stage during The Stones set.  I was there mostly to see RUSH, but they came on before the sun went down.  AC/DC stole the show and got half a million people rocking out at the same time.  It was damn hot that day too.

billhike posted:

Sonny Landreth
John McLaughlin
Alison Krauss
Doyle Bramhall
Johnny Winter
Robert Randolph
Robert Cray
Jimmie Vaughan
Hubert Sumlin
B.B. King.
John Mayer
Vince Gill
Albert Lee
Sheryl Crow
Los Lobos
Jeff Beck
Buddy Guy

Metallica and Lolla 1992 are out for me. The replacements are U2 Joshua Tree 2017 at Soldier Field, and last night’s Queen with Adam Lambert show at the United Center.

Add Reply

Likes (0)