Top 100 countdown

The whole concept is a bit ridiculous, but if WS makes the effort, it should be implemented all the way. The countdown clock is now at 0:0:0 (for a couple of hours already) and nothing has happened on the site...
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by yaron:
The whole concept is a bit ridiculous, but if WS makes the effort, it should be implemented all the way. The countdown clock is now at 0:0:0 (for a couple of hours already) and nothing has happened on the site...

Still showing of a countdown of 2+hrs here.
quote:
Originally posted by baja:
quote:
Originally posted by yaron:

Still showing of a countdown of 2+hrs here.

Not localized to anywhere besides the US then. Any other non US people gets the same?
When I looked first looked at the statement "The average price for the wines on this year's list is $42, down from $49 last year"

So I thought "good grief the first two wines release prices are a combined $375. So that leaves only $45 for the next 8 wines combined?!?!"

Introducing the 2007 wine of the year.......Charles Shaw Chardonnay!!

Then I realized the average was for the top 100, not the top 10.

Red Face
Bottle shape in the image has nothing to do with the wine selected. This same question was asked last year.

Also, somewhere on the site it said that the items would be revealed at 10am - I assumed EST because their offices are located in New York. Can't remember if it explicitly stated EST, however.
quote:
Originally posted by steve c:
>>The average price is $43<<

Wines 7-10 average $151...YTR is looking more like a lock all the time...

Um there is 96 other bottles included in that average of $43.

#8 Mollydookie - I had some the other day, not an official vintage but I put some strawberry jam, a pack of koolaid, and 3 cups of sugar with some vodka in my blender.

#7 Ornellaia - I had the 1997 this summer, such a spectacular wine supposidly. The quote from across the table at the tasting was "This tastes like $30 Bordeaux". No one thought it was off, just not what one would expect.

My predictions for the wines remaining, Bodegas LAN, Baumard QdC, Clos de Papes, Ridge Chard, and at a longshot Janasse CdP VV.
Amazing. Last year the Schild gets 96 points, costs less than $25, has almost 4500 case production, and doesn't even make it in the list. This year, Mollydooker at $80 and 95 points makes top 10. Confused

Obviously they have thrown out the "value" factor, so I guess Cerretalto and Madonna del Piano do still have a chance.
quote:
Originally posted by Foghorn:
Amazing. Last year the Schild gets 96 points, costs less than $25, has almost 4500 case production, and doesn't even make it in the list. This year, Mollydooker at $80 and 95 points makes top 10. Confused

Please take this with a grain of salt as it is not confirmed, but I have heard on several occasions that Schild forgot to send in a case (or bottles) of wine as requested by WS for the Top 100. Which is what got them left off the list.
quote:
Originally posted by Foghorn:

Obviously they have thrown out the "value" factor, so I guess Cerretalto and Madonna del Piano do still have a chance.

Call it good marketing.... Roll Eyes
quote:
Originally posted by jryoung:
Please take this with a grain of salt as it is not confirmed, but I have heard on several occasions that Schild forgot to send in a case (or bottles) of wine as requested by WS for the Top 100. Which is what got them left off the list.

The rumor mill never ceases to amaze me...Roll Eyes
quote:
Originally posted by James Molesworth:

And what would a life be without amazement!! Cool

In all honesty I was suprised last year, it seemed plausable, but as noted I'm not going to take anything as gospel unless I hear it directly.

Now, how about that Baumard? We know you liked it, how about everyone else. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by James Molesworth:
quote:
Originally posted by jryoung:

Be fair James, there must be a rational explanation as to why a large production wine with a $25 pricetag and 96 points failed to chart *anywhere* in the top 100. As Sir Bernard Ingham said, "Many ... have fallen for the conspiracy theory ... I do assure you that they would produce more accurate work if they adhered to the cock-up theory."
Not to speculate (because I really couldn't care less). However, I seem to remember that the past few WOTY's weren't reviewed in any of the year's previous issues. They were all reviewed in the Top 100 issue. The Merlot a few years back (Paloma?), the Neri last year...

Add Reply

Likes (0)