I had this (along with about 60+ other wines!) at a tasting last week sponsored by Stirling Fine Wines.
In the glass, the color of pale straw. Intense aromas of grapefruit and a touch of new mown grass. Medium bodied with great acids, intense and pleasing tart grapefruit flavors burst in the mouth with a touch of herbs in the background. Flavors linger beautifully on the finish. If you like grapefruit, this is the wine for you. Buy it by the case. 92 points.
Original Post
I've loved this wine for a couple of vintages now and I agree, the predominant flavor right out of the bottle is grapefruit and zingy citrus. After a few minutes, herbal and mineral notes make an appearance, and I found this more so with the '02 vintage, whereas previous vintages I thought stayed racy and fruity.

I felt this wine came closest to a Pouilly Fume than any other NZ sauvignons I've tasted (although I'm still having fun trying the dozens that are out there).
Had this last week on the balcony with friends over. I didn't share the same sentiments as bottmfishr. Perhaps it has lost its freshness over the past few months?

Pale yellow colour. Apple, grapefruit, and grassy notes. Good acidity. Has apple, grass, and minerals on the palate with a short finish. 86 points.
We really enjoyed the '01 version of this SB; I've seen the '02 but haven't purchased any because of the changing seasons. I might have to get a couple just on GP.

BTW - if you get the chance to score some of the Jackson Estate Boytritised SB, I'd highly recommend you do so. Honey, silky smooth citrus, and bright acidity - a steal @ $22/375 ml.

(musings from the great white thread-killer!)

[This message was edited by kybo on Sep 17, 2003 at 12:38 PM.]
Last edited {1}

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.