Skip to main content

I decided to put a lineup of California Zinfandels which were sourced from old vines aging at least 100 years. We opened these on Thanksgiving and I had everyone vote for their favorite. The consensus winner was the Gardienne des Vignes which also was my favorite. Here are my notes:

2012 Gardienne des Vignes Zinfandel 1915 Old Vine" Zinfandel Kirschenmann - USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi (11/25/2021)
The Kirschnenmann vineyard was planted in 1915 (so the vines were not 100 years old when the grapes were picked) and is currently owned by the Turley winemaker (Tegan Passalacqua). This wine is 95% Zinfandel and a remaining field blend of Carignan, Mondeuse, and Counoise. Normally $30. Only 75 cases produced. Medium purple. Rounder than the other 2 Zins and les spicy. Notes of cherries and plums. Solid fruit. 90 points.

2011 LangeTwins Zinfandel Centennial - USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi (11/25/2021)
Sourced from the Lewis vineyard planted in 1903. Normally a $60 bottle but I bought it at auction for $15. Picked at 26.2 brix on September 17th. Aged for 2 years in American oak. 15.6% alcohol. Not decanted. Rich purple color. Spicy black fruit notes with pepper and sweet currant notes. Some alcohol was showing on the finish. Firm tannins. 87 points.

2013 Kunde Estate Zinfandel Reserve Century Vines - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (11/25/2021)
The grapes are sourced from a Sonoma vineyard planted in 1882. 14.8% alcohol. Part of a 3 bottle lineup of Zins from 100+ year old vineyards. I previously had the 1996 vintage of this wine which I liked better. Deep crimson color. Tar aromas. Huge wine with black cassis and licorice notes. Sweeter finish. Too over the top for me. 84 points.

VM

Last edited by Vino Me
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@Vino Me posted:

I decided to put a lineup of California Zinfandels which were sourced from old vines aging at least 100 years. We opened these on Thanksgiving and I had everyone vote for their favorite. The consensus winner was the Gardienne des Vignes which also was my favorite. Here are my notes:

2012 Gardienne des Vignes Zinfandel 1915 Old Vine" Zinfandel Kirschenmann - USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi (11/25/2021)
The Kirschnenmann vineyard was planted in 1915 (so the vines were not 100 years old when the grapes were picked) and is currently owned by the Turley winemaker (Tegan Passalacqua). This wine is 95% Zinfandel and a remaining field blend of Carignan, Mondeuse, and Counoise. Normally $30. Only 75 cases produced. Medium purple. Rounder than the other 2 Zins and les spicy. Notes of cherries and plums. Solid fruit. 90 points.

2011 LangeTwins Zinfandel Centennial - USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi (11/25/2021)
Sourced from the Lewis vineyard planted in 1903. Normally a $60 bottle but I bought it at auction for $15. Picked at 26.2 brix on September 17th. Aged for 2 years in American oak. 15.6% alcohol. Not decanted. Rich purple color. Spicy black fruit notes with pepper and sweet currant notes. Some alcohol was showing on the finish. Firm tannins. 87 points.

2013 Kunde Estate Zinfandel Reserve Century Vines - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (11/25/2021)
The grapes are sourced from a Sonoma vineyard planted in 1882. 14.8% alcohol. Part of a 3 bottle lineup of Zins from 100+ year old vineyards. I previously had the 1996 vintage of this wine which I liked better. Deep crimson color. Tar aromas. Huge wine with black cassis and licorice notes. Sweeter finish. Too over the top for me. 84 points.

VM

Vino Me: What was the alcohol level on the Gardiennes des Vignes?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.