Skip to main content

I visited Jim Lester at Wyncroft a couple weeks ago during harvest and he made some time to take me through is 2021 wines. Some were already bottled and others were tasted from barrel. It is always fun and interesting to visit Jim. He is an exceptionally knowledgeable and gracious host who has been making wine in Southwest Michigan for 40 years. My notes are below (caveat- Jim helped me plant my vineyard 8 years ago and consults with my winemaking from time to time):

2021 Wyncroft Shou Blanc
Tasted at the winery from bottle. 65% Sauvignon Blanc and 35% Semillon picked at 23 brix. The Semillon was aged in Acacia barrels and the Sauvignon Blanc spent 6 months in neutral French oak. Notes of green apples and slate. Solid acidity with a some mild oak notes on the finish. A very good interpretation on a Bordeaux Blanc. 91 points.

2021 Wyncroft Chardonnay Gabrielow Vineyard
From bottle at the winery. This went through a full malolactic fermentation and aged on it's fine lees and it showed. Notes of spiced pears and creme brulee. An elegant Chardonnay with a slight buttery finish. 90+ points.

2021 Marland Cabernet Franc Rosé of Cabernet Franc
Tasted at the winery. 2nd time I have had this. No formal notes. 87 points.

2021 Marland Cabernet Franc
Tasted at the winery from bottle. Marland is the 2nd label at Wyncroft. This is 60% estate fruit and 40% fruit from Lemon Creek. Ruby color. Very fresh and bright. No green notes. This had good grip with flavors of red berries and licorice with a fruity finish. 88 points.

2021 Wyncroft Blaufränkisch Lake Michigan Shore Glacier's Edge
Tasted at the winery from bottle. Violet color. The grapes come from a vineyard near Ann Arbor. Fuller bodied. Rich with boysenberry and blueberry notes. Jim considers it his version of a Beaujolais. doesn't have the depth of his other reds. A drink now style. 86-87 points.

2021 Wyncroft Pinot Noir Lepage Estate
Another barrel sample. Clear ruby color. Showing very well. Flavors centered on cranberries. This should be a long ager according to Jim. 91-93 points.

2021 Wyncroft Shou Avonlea Vineyard
Barrel samples at the winery. Two barrel samples were pulled. Both from new French oak barrels. Should be another fine year for this bordeaux blend.

Cabernet Sauvignon- These grapes were picked at 23 brix. Blackish red color. This was riper than the Merlot sample with sweeter fruit. The Shou blend this year should have a higher percentage of CS according to Jim.

Merlot- These grapes were picked at 22 brix and appeared more tannic than the CS sample. A little spritz at this stage with woody notes. Good depth for a barrel sample.

VM

Original Post

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.