Just saw some magnums at Costco for a good price and was wondering if anyone has tried this yet. I know its early, waaay early, but this is for a pretty much non-wine-drinking family and as long as there is some good fruit there with decent structure to handle some hearty holiday food, I'm sure they'll be happy. Thoughts?
Original Post
It's the best Mondavi regular since 2001. Without a doubt, a buy.

11/10/2007 rated 88 points: Deep color, great nose of currant and other black fruits. The palate shows the nice balance of tannins and acid that these Mondavi cabs are known for. Decent cassis with signs of cocoa, leather, and a slight soy. Always a good food wine. Not the longest on the palate though. I paid south of $20 all in and will get some more as they make great everyday drinkers. (Varietal blend: 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Cabernet Franc, 5% Merlot, 2% Petit Verdot, 2% Malbec, 1% Syrah.

I believe some of these grapes are still sourced from To-Kalon vineyard. I have heard as much as 50% To-Kalon for this vintage, although I could be wrong. This bottle shows that the QPR magic still exists. Real Napa, especially ties to To-Kalon for $20!
thanks mike, I thought the '04 was pretty good too, a little short on the finish and a bit hollow on the mid-palate, but for $17 I really can't complain. I think I'll go ahead and give it a shot.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.