I love Niepoort’s Ports, but this particular Late Bottled Vintage has never impressed me. However, the last time I opened this was last summer, so I thought it was time to revisit it. Let’s see what an additional year of ageing has done for this Port!

Niepoort 1997 Late Bottled Vintage Port (bottled 2001). Not decanted, but opened 10 hours before serving. Very youthful colour, black with a narrow red rim. The nose is light, but displays lots of wonderful aromas: sweet blackberries, roses and violets. The body has thickened considerably in the time this bottle was open: the tiny sip I took just after pulling the cork was thin and watery. Now, this is a medium bodied Port with blueberry and blackberry. A bit hot on the midpalate. On the sweet side, but quite on par for Niepoort. Again a bit hot on the finish, sweetish but also rather short. Some grip, but not as tannic as I would like it to be: 84 points.

Well, a nice glass for sure: there is nothing to offend the palate, and that nose is lovely. Unfortunately, that’s about the only exciting thing about it: quite a one-dimensional glass, and that finish is just to short. Do yourself a favour and get either the ’96 or ’98!
Original Post
It's also a while ago since I tasted the '97, but when I did, it was shortly after I tasted the '95 and '96. IMO the latter two were both much better than the '97. Probably all the really good grapes went into the 98 WS points vintage port! Razz

The '98 is mostly seen on the shelves nowadays, and that's a mighty impressive LBV. A good one to buy a couple bottles of and try them over the coming years.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.