2010 Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon Klein - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (11/2/2013)

Opened by Allred. The grapes come from a parcel of the Monte Bello vineyard. Only 11 barrels made. Very smooth. Some smokiness with notes of tart cherries and berries. Firm tannins. Seems closed now and I did not find it all that approachable. I would definitely give this at least a few years. Would not be surprised if this scored 3-4 points higher with some age. 90+ points.

VM
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
I drank this alongside the 2010 Monte Bello and preferred the Monte Bello at this stage.

VM

I see. I was just curious how the Klein compared to their Estate Cab, if anybody has tried the two.
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
I drank this alongside the 2010 Monte Bello and preferred the Monte Bello at this stage.

VM

I see. I was just curious how the Klein compared to their Estate Cab, if anybody has tried the two.

Yes, the Klein is a little better than the estate. That's the intent, too, being a middle tier. Being specific to one particular vineyard and being 100% CS makes it distinctive, an interesting contrast to the blends.
quote:
Originally posted by yhn:
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:

VM

Yes, the Klein is a little better than the estate. That's the intent, too, being a middle tier. Being specific to one particular vineyard and being 100% CS makes it distinctive, an interesting contrast to the blends.

+1

I've always found their Estate cab to be hit-or-miss. Sometimes it's a great value, sometimes it's just fine. Monte Bello though is always great. I really love the 2010.
I've had the 2010 Estate several times, and tasted the 2010 Klein and 2010 Monte Bello at the winery last week.

They're all different animals.

The 2010 Estate seems like more of a drink-now wine, but will age nicely for a decade or more.

The 2010 Klein MUST be aged. I found it absolutely closed, but I bought some and I'm hopeful it will come around.

The 2010 Monte Bello is the most approachable young MB I've ever had but it will probably shut down hard soon.

I was also lucky enough to buy some of the 2010 Rousten Cabernet Franc, but of course they weren't tasting it and it will be a while before I open it.
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
I've had the 2010 Estate several times, and tasted the 2010 Klein and 2010 Monte Bello at the winery last week.

They're all different animals.

The 2010 Estate seems like more of a drink-now wine, but will age nicely for a decade or more.

The 2010 Klein MUST be aged. I found it absolutely closed, but I bought some and I'm hopeful it will come around.

The 2010 Monte Bello is the most approachable young MB I've ever had but it will probably shut down hard soon.

I was also lucky enough to buy some of the 2010 Rousten Cabernet Franc, but of course they weren't tasting it and it will be a while before I open it.

@ Danyull,

For me, '07-'10 Ridge Estate Cab has definitely been a no brainer at its price point. I hope this level of quality continues.

Nolan, thanks for the notes. I might have to spring for a few bottles of the Klein.
I have in the cellar two bottles each of the six Historical Vineyard Series wines that Ridge has released (3 bottlings each were released in 2012 & 2013). I've drank none of the releases from this year yet (and probably won't for several years), but did drink one of each of the three from last year: the Klein Cab Sauv, the Perrone Cab Franc & the Torre Ranch Merlot (all are of the 2009 vintage). Each of these wines was very closed with somewhat harsh tannins. They will all benefit from from extended cellaring.

And I heartily agree with Shane T on Ridge's Estate Cabs. Except for the 2002, I have a few bottles of every vintage going back to 2001 in the cellar. Plus a good number of half-bottles, too. Sadly though, my Monte Bellos don't go back near that far - but I'm working on that.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.