Haven't tried the Crimson Clover yet, but this wine was awfully good. The tightest, biggest cabernet from Stefania I've had. Very serious wine. Tightest was a bad word... It's expressive and enjoyable even popped and poured... But it definitely has tannin and structure and will age. I have always finished off my Stefania cabs young, saying, "They're so good now, why wait", but this bottle makes me think it will improve significantly with a few years. It's so good now, but for this I'd wait. This could easily go up against some very expensive cabs.
Original Post
Funny - I just opened my first of these last night as well. I found it to be lighter than the Crimson Clover, with a bit of tart finish. More red fruits with this as compared to darker fruits I found in the CC. I gave this one 90 points (vs. the 94 I gave the CC).
Opened the 2nd of 6 bottles I own tonight for burgers. Throwing some sediment. It's been open about 2 hours as I type this. The nose is red fruit and is picking up some pleasant leathery Bordeaux-ish notes, as well as some blueberry pie and a hint of menthol. Medium-bodied with plenty of acidity. Still noticeably but not overpoweringly tannic. Tart cherry, blueberry, blackberry with dusty tannins. Some room for improvement I think, but a pleasure to drink now. 90.

Had bottle 5 of 6 last night. Similar notes as above, maybe a bit more integrated now. I could do with a touch less acid or tartness, but it was still delicious. There is a tiny hint of brown sugar on the nose giving it a sense of full maturity. 91. I’ll drink the last one in the next few months.

Add Reply

Likes (0)