Skip to main content

• 2006 Tommasi Amarone della Valpolicella Classico - Italy, Veneto, Valpolicella, Amarone della Valpolicella Classico (2/24/2011)
    Pop and pour. The nose smells of dark berries, chocolate, and caramel. Some alcohol on first sniff. The palate immediately reveals acidity, prune, and a fiery alcoholic burn. I enjoy high alcohol wine with the best of them (huge Cali wines etc) but there is no way this is only 15% alcohol as the label indicates. Nice fruit and good acidity but the mid-palate to finish just ends with more alcohol. I am going to cork this and update my note tomorrow. Hopefully some air (cork in bottle with a glass poured off) will improve this wine considerable. Only 86 Pts at this moment in time.

Day Two:

The nose is larger and more fruit forward. It almost smells "fresh" if that makes any sense. The palate has the fruit and acidic characteristics as on day one, although it is now better integrated. The alcohol is still overbearing in this wine and I do not think it will dissipate with more time. Round tannin on the alcoholic finish. Drink now with a few hours of decanting.......cellar at your peril. Maybe a point higher on day two – 87 Pts (86 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Original Post

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.