• 2006 Thorn-Clarke Shiraz Shotfire (Ridge) - Australia, South Australia, Barossa (8/2/2008)
    Decanted for 3 1/2 hours. Dense, inky purple in color. As someone else said it was so dense it stained in the inside of the glass. A moderate nose of plum, red cherry, tar, some floral and spice. I did not find the nose to be all that powerful nor were the aromas all that easy to detect. On the palate it was a nice medium acidity with some edgy tannins. It would be too much to say the tannins were rough but they were certainly not smooth or well integrated. The flavor intensity was middle of the road and it was medium bodied. The flavor profile was similar to the nose in that the flavors were not readily apparent. Plum, red cherry, some dark fruit, leather and oak were most noticeable. The moderate finish left some dark fruit and chocolate behind. Overall, with some discernment, there were some nice flavors that may lead to a nice, balanced and complex wine. Right now this is perhaps too young. After about another 30 minutes in the glass it opened up more and became more dark fruit, chocolate and plum focused with some nice spice (pepper). That showed something and could be a sign of its future. The next day it was closed down again. This needs much more time in bottle to even have a chance. 88-92 points. 88 now with the chance it could push up into the low to mid 90s with some ageing. (88 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Original Post
mpls - you are correct and I was negligent not to say that in my tasting note. For the price this is a very good wine. With some age this could end up being a steal at the price point. Thanks for calling me out on that...you are dead on the money.
very weird. i am sitting here drinking this right now. $13.99 from wine library. excellent qpr but i do understand where people who don't get/like this style would state negative things about it. good, more for me. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
very weird. i am sitting here drinking this right now. $13.99 from wine library. excellent qpr but i do understand where people who don't get/like this style would state negative things about it. good, more for me. Cool

If you like everybody must, you are the god around here.
cool, my own new stalker!

but speak english man! i understand your family drifted over in a raft and all.... Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by inky:
If you like everybody must, you are the god around here.
Stalkers will just wear you down, Tbird...

I haven't had the 2006 yet, but polished off the last of the 2005 that was available to me here in Michigan.

The 2005 had mighty concentration complexity; I loved it at that price. Of course, that's why it could only stay in my basement for no longer than a year. If you guys suggest the 2006 may attain a similar status....I guess I'll have to buy some 2006.
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:

TBird - sorry if you thought I was being negative. I don't believe my tasting note and thoughts were negative at all. Rather, I thought it was pretty much a down the middle observation on a wine that, in my humble opinion, is still too young. In fact, I like this wine (don't love this wine) right now. I just don't find it to be balanced or well integrated in its youth. With some age I think it could be very, very good.
quote:
TBird - sorry if you thought I was being negative. I don't believe my tasting note and thoughts were negative at all.

Perhaps tbird's comments were not a reaction to yours, but to others who have been critical of this wine in previous vintages and TN threads. Besides, the only things that I've seen really pi$$ him off are attacks on his musical heros. And their instruments.... Wink
mghomula, bman is correct. generally speaking, it's easy to find ALOT of negative rants regarding this style of wine(making).
I'm not a big fan of the style you're referring to... But based on the 2005 I had of this last week, I wouldn't characterize this as the epitome of that style. I think Thorn-Clarke does a great job of approaching that over-the-top line without crossing it or getting too close.... this is a well-made and delicious wine.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.