TN: 2006 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT

• 2006 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT (11/15/2009)
    Gorgeous color and viscosity. A monster of a wine upon initial opening, with gripping tannins. Splash decanted 3 hours and the beast settled into a beautiful bottle. Deep, opulent aromas of dark berries, menthol and spice. A big. fresh, viscous, full-bodied mouth feel with the big berry taste and menthol coming through to the palate. Tannins became nicely integrated at this point (especially for for such a baby) and quite balanced. It's all there. Medium-long finish. It was remarkably noticeable that, at the four hour + mark, the tannins rose up and completely devoured any remaining fruit. This bottle showed well and continuously evolved in glass the entire time (as one would expect at this point). Time will surely reward those who cellar. A blockbuster of a indeed. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Original Post
I have tasted Fontodi Flaccianello only once, different vintage though, 2001. I tasted it on release and it was fantastic. I picked up two more. I have one in the cellar and I gave one bottle to my brother as a gift. Maybe I can convince him to open his this Christmas. Razz

Nonetheless, thanks for the note, I look forward to opening my one bottle in the future.
KSC02: Never had this wine before, but I was reading the critics TNs and noticed descriptors of oak, vanilla, toast, etc. Didn't see this in your notes. Did you get any of that? I assume these things integrate with time, but wanted to get your thoughts.
Keeno- Some oak, yes, however fleeting for me so I didn't include the descriptor. As well, I picked up no notes of vanilla. I was surprised to pick up the minty menthol note, though I'm certain that everyone experienced this.

I can't speak for any potential bottle variation either. You just never know with these things.
  • 2006 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT (11/15/2009)
    Dark almost black wine, huge nose of alcohol, toasty oak, coffee notes, mint, dark fruit and wallops of vanilla. Over time, the nose expressed a bit more fruit with black cherries and some sweet dark plums emanating from the nose. The palate was rather closed but what structure. As KSCO2 mentioned, a wall of tannins greet the unprepared drinker floating on a sea of alcohol. There is elegance and great power to this wine, almost smelt like a Croze-Hermitage in the beginning but it found more elegance as the night went on. Long tannic finish with dark fruit. A bruiser for sure but I'd love to revisit this wine in say 6-8 years from now. 95+ (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
I would much prefer the wine smell like Sangiovese. Hopefully the baby fat and oak and coffee falls out of the wine with age and results in a core of true Sangiovese coming through.

In the context of other wines and based on my experience with Crozes-Hermitage, I would much prefer it to smell like Hermitage as any bottles of the former I've had were all disappointing.
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
I would much prefer the wine smell like Sangiovese. Hopefully the baby fat and oak and coffee falls out of the wine with age and results in a core of true Sangiovese coming through.

In the context of other wines and based on my experience with Crozes-Hermitage, I would much prefer it to smell like Hermitage as any bottles of the former I've had were all disappointing.

For what it's worth, we all thought it smelled like an Aussie Shiraz upon opening it.
quote:
Wow, that really sucks.

Were you a buyer?

KSC02: Thanks for the input. Despite the tannin, alcohol, and oak, you and Mimik appear to have liked this a lot. I have been on the fence. Just want some reassurance, like futronic, that this stuff is going to integrate with time. . .
I'll back up Mimik's remark about the OZ Shiraz. I'll admit that the initial aromas, if blind, would have been my initial guess.

Keeno- Yes, I enjoyed this bottle greatly. I purchased in quantity and would not hesitate recommending it. IMHO, this is another Italian with a New World beginning and an Old World finish. With needed cellaring, this will become remarkable.
I have tasted this wine twice. The first time was in May at the estate with Sig. ra. Maria Manetti. The second time was last month with Giovanni Manetti. In my opinion, this is the best Flaccianello that he has produced. I tasted the '97 and the '01 at about the same stage of development and feel the '06 is better. I enjoyed it so much that I have bought a case so that I can enjoy the evolution of this wine over the next 10-15 years. I would agree with the 95+ points today but with the potential to go higher in the future.

Fut - FWIW, I did not think it smelled like an Aussie Shiraz.
quote:
For what it's worth, we all thought it smelled like an Aussie Shiraz upon opening it.

quote:
Wow, that really sucks.

Actually I found that although it did have a Aussi Shiraz profile, it was more like a high end Shiraz like Grange or Dead Arm in good vintages.
There was a spice profile that I pegged as pepper. That's what lead to the Shiraz comment.

Not an Aussi Fruit bomb at all.
KSC02, Mimik and Longboarder,

Thanks a lot for posting these notes. Seems like a very impressive wine. I've been in some doubt over the past two weeks on this wine. I've seen some nice offers, but still on the high side of my 'must buy' range. And I haven't found an opportunity to taste it myself.

Has anyone of you tasted the '04? I have some of that vintage in my cellar (in the far back cornerBig Grin). I liked this one because its a 'monster' of gripping tannins and black fruit with lots of refinement underneath. The 'berries' and 'menthol' make me doubt about the '06.
This is of course highly personal.
A comparison with the '04 would be of great help to me.
Jochems- I've had the '97 and the '01 on more than one occasion. However, though I hold case of the '04 I've never tasted it so can not compare.

I will say that, compared to the earlier vintages, this vintage is showing the structure and profile of its siblings. I attribute much of what I refer to in my TN to its freshness. Hours in the bottle reflected more of the coffee and darker fruit. As I mentioned, this wine continued to evolve in glass rapidly over a 4 hour period. A big, dense wine right now.

Familiar your palate regarding other Italians you fancy, I'd think this one is well within your 'desirable' zone and you might be well disappointed not picking up a few.
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Jochems- I've had the '97 and the '01 on more than one occasion. However, though I hold case of the '04 I've never tasted it so can not compare.

I will say that, compared to the earlier vintages, this vintage is showing the structure and profile of its siblings. I attribute much of what I refer to in my TN to its freshness. Hours in the bottle reflected more of the coffee and darker fruit. As I mentioned, this wine continued to evolve in glass rapidly over a 4 hour period. A big, dense wine right now.

Familiar your palate regarding other Italians you fancy, I'd think this one is well within your 'desirable' zone and you might be well disappointed not picking up a few.

I had this last night. Wonderful bottle of wine and concur with Mimik/KSCO2 et al....the coffee/espresso character intensified as it sat in the glass. I have had the 2001 and my opinion is the 06' will out shine it. The 01' is lovely but this bottle will develop into something really special.
quote:
Just curious,marcb. Did you get the menthol aromas with your bottle? Did you notice a bit of pepper in its early stages of opening up?

Actually I did get a black pepper streak initially....Ive had Grange a few times (not really my style of wine) but it resembled that maybe?? I had a hint of mint as well which I thought was terrific.
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
I had a hint of mint as well which I thought was terrific.

YES! Thank you. No one else was getting that at our tasting. I was wondering if it was just me, picking up something exterior, influencing my detection of this in the wine. Lovely, that.
quote:
quote:

YES! Thank you. No one else was getting that at our tasting. I was wondering if it was just me, picking up something exterior, influencing my detection of this in the wine. Lovely, that.

It wasnt you! Not really characteristic from my experience with this grape, but just another reason why I think this wine is going to be something special.
quote:
quote:

Uh. Noone else? Uhhmm. We're getting cocky, aren't we? Big Grin Wink
Opened my first of these with dinner. Though I rarely get more than 2 and sometimes 3 flavours on the nose, this bottle was the exception. Bouquet of plums, cherries, annise, mocha and spice on the nose. Repeated on the palate with perfect harmony of fruit and acidity. Made Mrs. DP ears perk up and ask how many more in the cellar. This wine is exceptional and a drink or hold. Worthy of the high scores from WS, RP and even ST. Very happy I bought a case.

Opened my first bottle of this last night with our lamb risotto. Wow. Stood the bottle up the day before, but it was basically a pop and pour. The nose is incredible, floral, plum and spice. For the first couple of glasses the wine was all about the nose, bright plum and cherry flavours and acidity. Towards the end of the bottle it had gained weight and was all dark fruit. Beautiful mouthfeel and long finish and as outstanding as it was, I don't think it's done yet. I'll be holding my other bottles. 96 pts.

steve8 posted:

Opened my first bottle of this last night with our lamb risotto. Wow. Stood the bottle up the day before, but it was basically a pop and pour. The nose is incredible, floral, plum and spice. For the first couple of glasses the wine was all about the nose, bright plum and cherry flavours and acidity. Towards the end of the bottle it had gained weight and was all dark fruit. Beautiful mouthfeel and long finish and as outstanding as it was, I don't think it's done yet. I'll be holding my other bottles. 96 pts.

That’s a glowing review, especially as I’ve never seen you rate a wine so high

Add Reply

Likes (0)