TN: 2006 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT

quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Jochems- I've had the '97 and the '01 on more than one occasion. However, though I hold case of the '04 I've never tasted it so can not compare.

I will say that, compared to the earlier vintages, this vintage is showing the structure and profile of its siblings. I attribute much of what I refer to in my TN to its freshness. Hours in the bottle reflected more of the coffee and darker fruit. As I mentioned, this wine continued to evolve in glass rapidly over a 4 hour period. A big, dense wine right now.

Familiar your palate regarding other Italians you fancy, I'd think this one is well within your 'desirable' zone and you might be well disappointed not picking up a few.

I had this last night. Wonderful bottle of wine and concur with Mimik/KSCO2 et al....the coffee/espresso character intensified as it sat in the glass. I have had the 2001 and my opinion is the 06' will out shine it. The 01' is lovely but this bottle will develop into something really special.
quote:
Just curious,marcb. Did you get the menthol aromas with your bottle? Did you notice a bit of pepper in its early stages of opening up?

Actually I did get a black pepper streak initially....Ive had Grange a few times (not really my style of wine) but it resembled that maybe?? I had a hint of mint as well which I thought was terrific.
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
I had a hint of mint as well which I thought was terrific.

YES! Thank you. No one else was getting that at our tasting. I was wondering if it was just me, picking up something exterior, influencing my detection of this in the wine. Lovely, that.
quote:
quote:

YES! Thank you. No one else was getting that at our tasting. I was wondering if it was just me, picking up something exterior, influencing my detection of this in the wine. Lovely, that.

It wasnt you! Not really characteristic from my experience with this grape, but just another reason why I think this wine is going to be something special.
quote:
quote:

Uh. Noone else? Uhhmm. We're getting cocky, aren't we? Big Grin Wink
Opened my first of these with dinner. Though I rarely get more than 2 and sometimes 3 flavours on the nose, this bottle was the exception. Bouquet of plums, cherries, annise, mocha and spice on the nose. Repeated on the palate with perfect harmony of fruit and acidity. Made Mrs. DP ears perk up and ask how many more in the cellar. This wine is exceptional and a drink or hold. Worthy of the high scores from WS, RP and even ST. Very happy I bought a case.

Opened my first bottle of this last night with our lamb risotto. Wow. Stood the bottle up the day before, but it was basically a pop and pour. The nose is incredible, floral, plum and spice. For the first couple of glasses the wine was all about the nose, bright plum and cherry flavours and acidity. Towards the end of the bottle it had gained weight and was all dark fruit. Beautiful mouthfeel and long finish and as outstanding as it was, I don't think it's done yet. I'll be holding my other bottles. 96 pts.

steve8 posted:

Opened my first bottle of this last night with our lamb risotto. Wow. Stood the bottle up the day before, but it was basically a pop and pour. The nose is incredible, floral, plum and spice. For the first couple of glasses the wine was all about the nose, bright plum and cherry flavours and acidity. Towards the end of the bottle it had gained weight and was all dark fruit. Beautiful mouthfeel and long finish and as outstanding as it was, I don't think it's done yet. I'll be holding my other bottles. 96 pts.

That’s a glowing review, especially as I’ve never seen you rate a wine so high

Add Reply

Likes (0)