TN: 2005 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Pora

• 2005 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Pora - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (11/13/2012)
    Pretty but with one off-putting feature.

Dark ruby opaque in the center but mostly translucent. Nose was tobacco, licorice, red berry, and an unpleasant barnyard scent. (This barnyard scent is what was off-putting, but it's odd as I usually like barnyard scents. This however was unpleasant.) The barnyard scent went away after about 90 minutes. On the palate, less of the red berry, but still tobacco and licorice, and an appealing gravelly minerality. Tannins are a little bit rough still. Medium-length finish.

Posted from CellarTracker
Original Post
You're Welcome.

By the end of the bottle it was completely gone and the wine was really pretty. Odd.

And it was also odd that the barnyard was not pleasant which it usually is, to me. I don't know if it was actually a little different than what I usually identify as barnyard, or it's just that I don't expect that in nebbiolos.

It was the only bottle of the Pora I had (got in a clearance), but I have a couple bottles each of a few other single vineyard bottlings from '05. I'm thinking I'll sit on those for another 2-3 years before opening. Does that sound right to you?
I had the Montestefano '05 last year. I didn't write an extensive note. Only "slightly better than the '04" and put the drinking window at 2015-2025.
I'm not so familiar with the Pora, but based on some other Barbaresco I had (most notably Sottimano) I would most certainly leave them in the cellar for a few more years.

Add Reply

Likes (0)