2005 Neyers Syrah Old Lakeville Road - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (3/21/2008)
The wine gained weight as it got more air. Started out as a medium bodied wine with prominent red fruits and evolved into a rich, full bodied wine with dominant flavors of plum and blackberry with light notes of olive, bacon, and pepper. The wine has enough tannins and acidity to keep it on the well structured side and is a cross between a ripe N. Rhone and a good Cali Cab. Excellent wine at $24. (92 pts.)
Original Post
2005 Neyers Syrah Old Lakeville Road - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (3/31/2009)
Bought off the wine list at The Peninsula Grill in Charleston. Consistent with previous note, but I found this wine may be in a bit of a dumb phase right now as the fruit did not show some of the brightness when I had it a year earlier as the dark fruit and olive notes were much more pronounced and the finish was not as clean and crisp. I would hold this to see if it improves, but am not sure that this will come out better on the other side. (89 pts.)
It seemed somewhat closed to me, but also keep in mind it was not decanted, though it never fully opened over the nearly two hours I drank it. My experience with New World syrah is that they do not shut down hard like Bordeaux, but they can lose their expressiveness or lushness for awhile. I have some bottles of the 06 and I think I will try one now given my experience with the 05.

Add Reply

Likes (0)