2005 Meßmer Weyher Michelsberg Riesling Trocken Grosses Gewächs - Germany, Pfalz (10/11/2008)

Messmer is an excellent producer in the Pfalz region. Certainly behind Muller-Catoir but I can't think of any others that are clearly above him qualitatively. This wine comes from a Grand Cru site and normally sells for $60. I found it for $3 on clearance. His dry wines like this one are highly sought out in Germany. This wine was vinified with 9 grams/liter of residual sugar which is the maximun allowed in grosses gewachs. Gregor Messmers winemaking is very reductive. Organic fertilizers, no irrigation, no preservatives, no fining and racked only once. His wines are known for their clarity and purity. This vineyard is made of slate and minerally sand.

Opened my first of these at a friends house in Michigan. Loved this wine. Cleanly made dry wine with an underpinning of piercing acidity. Only a touch of sweetness. Notes of chamomile, tart apple and minerally slate nuances. Some smoke flavors on the finish. Long finish. 92 points.

VM
Original Post
2005 Meßmer Weyher Michelsberg Riesling Grosses Gewächs - Germany, Pfalz (6/8/2009)

Opened another bottle with Otis. We drank this before dinner. Just as good as the first one. Sleek and racy with some petrol notes. An excellent example why the 2005 vintage is so good in Germany. 92 points.

VM
2005 Meßmer Weyher Michelsberg Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Pfalz (5/7/2018)

I decanted this and poured it back into the bottle 1 hour before taking it to dinner with some of the Chicago crew. The 5th time I have had this wine over the last 10 years and it has shown very well every time. Sadly only 1 bottle left of this in my cellar. Pale yellow color. Very little if any petrol aromas in this dry wine. Probably the most mineral driven of the 3 GG's that were opened. Notes of peaches, stone fruit and slate with a steely edge. Excellent depth. Appears younger than you would expect from a 13 year old wine. 93-94 points.

VM

Add Reply

Likes (0)