TN: 2005 Chateau Ste. Michelle & Dr. Loosen Riesling Eroica

2005 Chateau Ste. Michelle & Dr. Loosen Riesling Eroica - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (1/27/2007)
WIML89,PURPLE89,NOWA,WS90

Tasted January 27, 2007 at home. Opened and served immediately in a Spiegelau Authentis Weiss Wein glass. Straw color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of white peach, honeysuckle, a little diesel and maybe some cinnamon or ginger hiding in there. Flavors of sweet tropical fruits, lychee, peach and a dash of honey. Light to medium acidity and body. Drink over the short to medium term, leaning more towards towards the short term. Based on our local retail price before discount of $22.99 I’d say the value here is acceptable. (89 pts.)
OK - i'm gonna sound like a snob, but why drink eroica when you can drink better rieslings from germany for less? i still don't get this wine - every time i've had i've thought it was ok, but far inferior to european riesling...maybe i need to try it again...
quote:
Originally posted by mattach:
OK - i'm gonna sound like a snob, but why drink eroica when you can drink better rieslings from germany for less? i still don't get this wine - every time i've had i've thought it was ok, but far inferior to european riesling...maybe i need to try it again...

" when you can drink better Riesling from Germany"... AND France. Wink
quote:

I agree 200%
quote:

I have to say I agree. Almost any of the German Reislings I randomly buy are better than this wine. I thought this wine was only a slighly beter version of the standard American Resings that you can buy for $8. I think Dr. Loosen is involved with this wine and evey single Dr. Loosen Ive had from Deutschland is better than this. Sorry I sounds negative but I had high hopes for this and was left wondering what the hype is about.
quote:
Originally posted by Qweniden:
I have to say I agree. Almost any of the German Reislings (sic) I randomly buy are better than this wine. I thought this wine was only a slighly (sic) beter (sic) version of the standard American Resings (sic) that you can buy for $8. I think Dr. Loosen is involved with this wine and evey (sic) single Dr. Loosen Ive (sic) had from Deutschland is better than this. Sorry I (sic) sounds negative but I had high hopes for this and was left wondering what the hype is about.

Roll Eyes
quote:
Originally posted by Qweniden:
quote:
I think I'll post a favorable review of a Texas Riesling next week. That should really bring the Riesling folks out of the woodworks.

I promise to use spell check should I (sic) fell motivated to rant.

When does the promise kick in??
Thank God I'm not alone in preferring German Riesling.

I'll start cracking on the Austrian; haven't given it a chance yet.

Thanks for putting Eroica in its place. I'd rather drink 'Jean Baptiste' from Gunderloch over it anyday.... and Jean Baptiste is nothing compared to some of them...

Add Reply

Likes (0)