Splash decanted for 2 hours. Still one of my favorite '05's. Of all the appelations Margaux has been my favorite. And of the Margaux's I've had this was the best (granted I've not had Palmer or Ch. Margaux in '05). Rich and round. Great violet, creme de cassis, blackberry, blueberry pie, toffee, vanilla oak, mocha, and wet earth. Long finish. Tasty. 94+ pts
Original Post
DRAB, your TN tested the resolve of my weak willpower ... I decided to pop one of these to find-out for myself just how good this wine is ... despite the infanticide, I'm very glad I gave this a test run:

2/2/2009
-- decanted for an hour or two before tasting --
-- tasted non-blind --
-- 52% Cabernet Sauvignon, 45% Merlot, 3% Petit Verdot --

NOSE: rich bouquet of coffee, concentrated blackberries, and pencil lead; red apple note as well as a slight hint of secondary funk.

BODY: lots of superfine particulate matter; inky garnet color of great depth; medium-full bodied.

TASTE: this is a big big wine: flavors of cassis, coffee, and cedar are off-set by a strong minerality; a meaty element is there too ... superlong finish (2.5 minutes); comes across bitter and tannic right now, but there's enough acidity to call this well-balanced; all the parts are there, but this needs some serious time to harmonize; will be ridiculous-good 10+ years from now.

B: 50, 5, 13, 18, 9 = 95
2005 Château Lascombes - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (4/11/2009)
WIMLNR

Tasted April 11, 2009 at a retail tasting.

Purple color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of coffee, plums and a bit of florals. Flavors of plums and cherries. Medium to bright acidity, firm tannins, medium to full bodied. Nowhere near ready to drink so therefore no official rating. Continue to hold.
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
2005 Château Lascombes - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (4/11/2009)
WIMLNR

Tasted April 11, 2009 at a retail tasting.

Purple color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of coffee, plums and a bit of florals. Flavors of plums and cherries. Medium to bright acidity, firm tannins, medium to full bodied. Nowhere near ready to drink so therefore no official rating. Continue to hold.

was this tasting at farpointe in southlake?
Two hour decant and drank over one more- improved out of bottle over time. Wonderfully expressive nose of flowers and slate, earth, graphite and camphor- Margaux showing through and showing off. Still a bit tight on entry w/ slight bitter edge initially but that fades over time. Almost turns creamy with dark pitted-fruit, charcoal, and a hint of rose petals. Dusty tannins that finishes with grip. Has the stuffing for easily another ten. So good it makes me want to open another bottle but I'll revisit in a year and again and again while trying to hold for another decade. 93+
Primordial, Thanks for the note, and I hope you're well!

Couple questions, how has this changed from earlier bottles you might have tried? And, did you have with food, or solo.

I have four that I'm holding, and might pop the first of them this year for a looksie.
Hey there Indy- all is well and I hope so with you.
This is the first of 10 for me, so I don't have a comparison to this vintage, but it is a very good representation of the Chateau. I would say that it is more integrated at this stage than I thought it would be, but it still has a ways to go and there is certainly no rush. If you have one in the near future, decant and enjoy throughout the evening.
I can't remember what we had with it, grilled steak I think, but regardless I enjoyed it more with the meal although it is certainly fine alone. The tannins have softened so it is versatile enough. Cheers!
Popped & poured - took an hour or so to really show well.

Intense nose of wild berry, licorice, graphite, toasted marshmallow; plush & integrated tannins on palate, tobacco & violet coming in on long finish.

I would give this the green light to start enjoying, although there's certainly no harm in holding for many more years.

Opened my first of four last eve with friends. Opened and double decanted three hours before we had it. 

Nice nose of minerals, mixed berries in this old world beauty. Plenty of acidity and tannins there but in check. Nice fruit coming through on the end. A tad bretty. No rush to open, hold. 

Add Reply

Likes (0)