Skip to main content

Saw this at Costco for $24 and being a Spanish wine lover, thought I would give it a whirl.

I always love formulating my own impressions of a wine before reading notes and this case was especially dead on. Matthews pegs the obvious plum, raisin and dried herbs but believe it or not, it was the "clumsy" that hit the mark. I really enjoyed the quality of this wine, but the balance was a bit off - disjointed - "clumsy". This is a descriptor that I have not heard attributed to wine, but it really hit the mark. I do not know if it is my unfamiliarity with the Carinena or just the blend, but it was indeed clumsy.

That being said, I paired this wine a stewed plum and chicken plate with kalamata olives, oregano and thyme. Purely coincidence, but a perfect pairing. This dish helped elevate the wine from TM's review of 88 to my personal score of 90. I will buy this wine again, and look forward to the food/wine combination.

Good value for $24, particularly with the pairing.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Save up for Vall Llach's 2005s. The barrel samples were amazing!

I believe you Board-O.

However, I'm finding it odd, that the professional TN's on MANY Spanish wines for 2005 seem to be below the '03 and '04 vintages. Strange, as the '05 Vintage is rated as another 'outstanding' one according to 'official' Spanish sites for Priorate and others Roll Eyes
Priorat has a vastly different microclimate than the rest of Spain. 2002 was an excellent year in Priorat and spotty in the rest of Spain. The climate in Priorat is always hot and dry during the growing season. Yields are low and in many vineyards, vines are spaced far apart. I suspect from what I've read between the winemakers' lines it's easier to make good wine from Garnacha and Cariñena than it is from Tempranillo.
quote:
Originally posted by Lentini:
Hmmm I got the 2003s for $19. Has the price jumped for the '04s? When exactly do you think the '05s are coming, Board-O?

The Total Wine store by me has both the 2004 Embruix ($29) and their 2004 flagship ($65) wine although it is not listed on their website and ABC has the Embruix ($28) with 10% off 3 days a week.
Last edited by inky
quote:
Originally posted by Lentini:
Hmmm I got the 2003s for $19. Has the price jumped for the '04s? When exactly do you think the '05s are coming, Board-O?

I don;t know the answer to either question. I'd expect the 2005s to begin trickiling in about now, but the better wines will probably be released a little later.

As far as the price goes, I got an email from Gerard Batllevell Simo of Celler Joan Simo. In it, he told me he was paid the same price for his wines the past 5 years. The price increases are determined after the wine leaves the winery. The reviews, the importer, distributor and retailer profits, and supply and demand all factor into the cost.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
As far as the price goes, I got an email from Gerard Batllevell Simo of Celler Joan Simo. In it, he told me he was paid the same price for his wines the past 5 years. The price increases are determined after the wine leaves the winery. The reviews, the importer, distributor and retailer profits, and supply and demand all factor into the cost.

With the declining strength of the Dollar, suffice it to say that this, in itself, will result in price increases experianced on this end, not including any other influences like those you've listed above.
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
Thanks for the TN. I have not had the '04 Embruix yet. I have had every vintage going back to 1999. I opened the 2000 flagship Vall Llach last week and it was stellar. Still one of the best Spanish reds I have had. BTW $24 is a great price.

Any tasting notes on the 2000 Vall Llach ?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.