Skip to main content

2004 Thorn-Clarke Shiraz Shotfire Ridge - Barossa Valley, Australia
Vigorously splash decanted. Blueberry pancakes nose. Ample blueberries and cream throughout with some dark fruit concentrated on the mid-palate and bright red fruit along the edges. Nice balance and good acidity, along with a broad mid-palate with slightly chalky tannins and a reasonably long, but drying finish. Surprisingly good depth for this price point. S91 2/23/2006
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

2004 Thorn-Clarke Shiraz Shotfire Ridge - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley (4/27/2006)
2nd night on this bottle. Less than $15. Dark purple wine, with nice shiraz nose of charred blueberry pie filling, salty beef, and a touch of mint. The oak is detectable, but isn't out of whack for this wine. Huge on the palate- copious dark fruits and a ton of tannin. The acidity is in balance with the fruit and tannin. It finishes a little harsh, but leaves a good impression. For the money this is a great wine, a good one to open when I'm not sure I'll finish the whole thing. (89 pts.)
I loved this wine at first, finding it rich and thick, with chocolate, cola and black cherry flavours, but the finish I found metallic and quite off-putting. I was having it with an Asian beef and noodle dish in a sweet sauce, which may be the reason. Despite its yumminess in the mouth, the finish was too unpleasant.

No score.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.