Skip to main content

2004 Mitolo Shiraz Savitar - McLaren Vale, Australia
Decanted 2 ½ hrs. Beautiful, rich nose of blueberry. Lots of blueberry and a dense core of blackberry flavors along with some mocha and just a touch of anis spice on the backend. Well balanced with velveteen tannins and an incredible mouthfeel with layers of depth that dance on the tongue and expand nicely on the mid-palate along with some mineral notes increasing on the lingering finish. S97 2/24/2006
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

2004 Amon-Ra: To buy or not to buy.

For a price of $45, should I buy this wine or not. This is not the Goldolphin but it is the Shiraz only.

This price is lowest in Wine-searcher from a store in New Zealand. The lowest price in US for this wine is $68. Luckily, my friend is there right now but question remain: to buy or not to buy?

Any opinions are welcome.

DP Wink
I ended up didn't buy Amon-ra (because i didn't want to bother my friend) but got this wine myself instead.

Openned bottle 5 hours before serving. A wow wine. Very dark and dense purple color. Aromas of mild flower, vanilla, and tobacco at first. But tobacco is fading out as the wine receive more air in glass. First taste of pure crushed forest berries with notable strong blueberry and rasberry sauce. Dried prune, cinemon, and wet stone in the background. Peppery midplate. Full bodied and meaty yet remain fresh in mount. Ultra-long finish (1 minute+). Excellent young shiraz that can easily last 10-15 years. 96 points.

DP Wink
2004 Mitolo Shiraz Savitar -- Much of the crazy over the top fruit of its youth has evaporated, leaving dark coffee-tinged notes. This is still a big wine, with big body and tannins. There is just a hint of cooked fruit and a tad of alcoholic heat on the finish, but overall nice structure. I liked it better when it was young (I would concur with GreenDrazi's original note), but still give it 92 now. I’m not sure it is done evolving. Could this re-emerge as an aged beauty in another 5-10 years?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.