• 2004 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (4/29/2008)
    Gorgeous wine and relatively still accessible. Bing cherry and blackberry notes with some oak characteristics. The palate was surprisingly accessible and not as rich as the power packed 2003 and a little lighter on its feet but still has the stuffing to age well. Slightly grainy tannins on a fantastic long long finish that kept waves of blackberries smashing into your taste buds on and on and on. Wow. I can't wait until this approaches maturity.94+ (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Original Post
Mimik,

Thanks for the note. I've been eyeing mine in the cellar and resisting the urge to try one.

Just got my Pegau delivery today and decided to call a buddy in Edmonton to pick me up some more.

tempting.... very tempting to try one soon....
I had this at an offline a couple of months ago and it was approachable as a young wine after it was decanted all day, showing some nice fruit. I'm sure it might shut down at some point. I had a 2000 pegau a couple weeks ago and was showing surprisingly well however the last time I had a 2001 awhile back I think it will need alot of time. I tasted the 2005 pegau last week at hen lake liqours and showed some nice fruit, but they want $86 a bottle, ouch. I generally try pegau one bottle on release and usually hold depending on the vintage. For 05 I bought Vieux Telegraghe, Beaucastel, Janasse Chopin and Clos des Papes. I bought on futures over a year ago and the 05 Mordoree and Pegau were already sold out from premier cru. thanks for the notes Mimik! Razz
Hey Mimik. This wine is rocking. I love it. I opened a bottle about a month and a half ago to see if I wanted to pick up some more. It showed really well. I couldn't believe how complex it was at this early stage. I bought some extra bottles to sock away. Like you, I can't wait until this approaches maturity. Here are my notes:

Truly an awesome wine. Nose was very complex showing kirsch, game and forrest floor. Rich flavors of meat, fig, raspberry ganache, tobacco, and garrigue come through on the palate. Finishes long with plenty of dark fruits. Medium acidity and firm tannins. Although it showed really well, this wine will certainly benefit from some time in the bottle. 94 Points
Not ready. Far from it but I drank this without a decant. Nose of raspberry, cherries, garrigue, vanilla and slightly pruney scents with a oak influence. The palate due to its youth is more linear with monolithic tastes of cherries and vanilla. Leave it alone for some time. Very well balanced and one of my favourite vintages of Pegau since 2001. 93 pts.
  • 2004 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (8/23/2010)
    My favourite vintage of this producer. The 2004 will be amazing when it is at its peak. Brought by a friend to a dinner, it had that cedary, rustic telltale nose of a Pegau. Inky black in colour, the nose was redolent of blackberry, spicy plums and dark cherries with gallops of cedar, smoke and hickory notes. The palate was silky, not as pruney as the last time I tasted the wine, but had great balance between the acidity and fruit and tannins. Long cedary finish. Revisit in 5 -8 years. (94 pts.)

06/09/2010 rated 93 points: The nose is singing. It smells of dark fruits, herbs and roasted meat, and anise. The palate is a continuation of the nose. It screams more dark fruits, delicious herbs, and incredible balanced acidity. The finish is amazing and lasts forever with round tannins. This wine is incredibly balanced and drinking extremely well right now. This still has room to improve! I will be tracking down some more bottles.
Next to the 2005, which is closed, I think the 2004 gets the top spot of Pegau's in recent history.

Seaquam, you have Pegau in 500ml bottles? Eek
Had a bottle of the 04'last night, opened and decanted 5-6 hrs before serving. This wine is drinking very well right now and has many years left.
  • 2004 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/14/2017)
    Gorgeous. Opened and poured a couple of glasses. Consumed about two hours later. Did not decant. It has been standing in the cellar for a couple of weeks. There is a lot of sediment.

Some bricking around the rim. Very perfumed with some cigar box scents that show a bit of age as well. There is some red berry fruit (my wife suggested cherry tobacco) but it's really all about the spices and minerals - garrigue, rocky minerality, anise, and maybe a little iodine. It had a very pleasant barnyard smell on opening, but at the two hour mark that was all but gone. Everything is nicely balanced with a long smooth finish.

Last night I realized I had 3 bottles of this in the cellar and it seemed like a good choice to go with a pan roasted pork tenderloin with a date & cilantro relish. My records, what they are, don't indicate I had opened one before but I'm sure I've had it previously as the stuff is widely held by the Montreal cru. No doubt at least one of them has opened a bottle during a group dinner since release, probably the one under a restraining order from Laurence Feraud who started this thread.

Anyway... stood up a few hours before decanting just before dinner. Some initial barnyard stank which blew off after about 10 minutes and a few good swirls. Initially the nose was restrained but opened up with dark fruit, garrigue and juniper. Very slight brick colour with raspberry, black cherry, spice and meaty flavours. Nice long finish although maybe the only slightly disappointing aspect of the wine (high expectations?). The last glass was definitely the best so I'll sit on the other two bottles for a few more years. I'll give it a 94.

Hah!

Thanks for the note, Steve. I'm unfortunately out of 2004s - I think I drank my final bottle last year. I have a couple 2005 and 2006s left that I'm waiting on, however.

Thanks for the note Steve8. Glad you like them. I think I have 2 left of the 04s. I’ve always enjoyed this vintage of Pegau. 

@steve8 posted:

Last night I realized I had 3 bottles of this in the cellar and it seemed like a good choice to go with a pan roasted pork tenderloin with a date & cilantro relish. My records, what they are, don't indicate I had opened one before but I'm sure I've had it previously as the stuff is widely held by the Montreal cru. No doubt at least one of them has opened a bottle during a group dinner since release, probably the one under a restraining order from Laurence Feraud who started this thread.

Anyway... stood up a few hours before decanting just before dinner. Some initial barnyard stank which blew off after about 10 minutes and a few good swirls. Initially the nose was restrained but opened up with dark fruit, garrigue and juniper. Very slight brick colour with raspberry, black cherry, spice and meaty flavours. Nice long finish although maybe the only slightly disappointing aspect of the wine (high expectations?). The last glass was definitely the best so I'll sit on the other two bottles for a few more years. I'll give it a 94.

I think I have some of those in my cellar. Do you mind checking for me Steve?

Thanks for the note Steve!  I actually drank one of these in April (which might have been last month, yesterday, or last year or who the hell knows what day/date it is anymore).  I was super impressed with this wine too.  Here's my note:

Very balanced and full of class. I drank it a night after drinking an 05 from another producer. The 05 had stronger fruit but a real edge to it. This 04 pegau was gorgeous, rounded, and classy. Not a hard edge to be found. I think it's got some time left, but I won't hesitate to open my other. (I gave it at 93)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.