This bottle was double decanted with the wine, in the bottle, spending approximately 9 hours in the cellar after the initial decantation. Color is dark, dark purple, almost black. Nose is muted but balanced with minerals, blue fruits, vanilla, and oak, however, clearly the nose is holding back as this wine probably needs 4-5 years before it emerges from its shell. On palate the wine is again muted, but extremely balanced with sour plums and blue fruits, toasty oak with a spicy finish. It is tannic at the moment with silky texture and fine acidity. The balance of this wine leads me to a conclusion that this will be a very special wine in the future, 93-95+ in the future. To my pleasure, it is not and never will be the fruit bomb many have come to expect from the modern day spainsh wines.
Original Post
Gkapoor - thanks for the notes. I usually (never) jump on the "this was opened up way too young" type threads, but I have several of the 01's and I opened one about a year ago and it was painfully un-ready. the tannins are so strong that the fruit was completely dominated. I see great structure and potenetial, but from my experience with the various LAN bottlings (and I do love them), the Culmen Reserva needs, needs, needs time. I think that your 04 needs a good 4-5 years as you indicated, and maybe more. I have not had a lot of 04 spanish and so not sure where they sit, but when it comes around, that should be a nice bottle of wine.

enjoy.

Add Reply

Likes (0)