Skip to main content

2003 Zind-Humbrecht Riesling Heimbourg - France, Alsace, Turckheim, Alsace AOC (2/13/2007)

This was opened at an offline in LA chinatown with dim sum. Not sure who brought it. 2nd time I have had a Zind Heimbourg. The other vintage was the 1999. Consistent style between the two. I liked this 2003 better though. A rather racy wine and dry. Flavors of tart lemon, honeysuckle and slate with a little waxiness on the finish. Very young and this will undoubtedly add some body with aging. 91-93 points.

VM
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Other than a couple of bottles that had been spoiled, I don't think I've ever had a disappointing wine from Zind Humbrecht. I know the '03 vintage was problematic due to the heat, but last Sunday I bought a few Windsbuhl and Rangen de Thann- St Urbain (and a few Gewurtz Windsbuhl). Unless I've read/heard about a problem with a specific wine, I think of this winery's products as pretty much a sure thing.
I forgot that they started putting an indice on the bottles and did not look for it. For anyone interested, Z-H wines have an indice from 1-5 on each bottle indicated how dry it is. Here is how the estate describes the scale:
quote:
1 is totally dry; 2 is not technically dry but the sweetness is not apparent on the palate; 3 is medium sweetness that may gradually disappear with aging; 4 is sweet wine; 5 is for high sweetness, a Vendange Tardive in richness but without botrytis.

VM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.