TN: 2003 Weingut Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Spatlese #10

2003 Weingut Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Spätlese #10 - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Middle Mosel (7/11/2005)
I bought this about 6 months ago for $30 and wanted to try one before it went into its dumb phase. The WA gave this wine 95 points and Terry Theise gave it ++ and said Schaefer had the best collection of wines among his Mosel producers. I brought this bottle to Otis' house last Friday for a small offline with some board members. This was one of the wines that were on my short list from the 2003 vintage. Willi Schaefer is among my personal favorite producers in Germany. His reputation is growing and sadly so are the prices for his wines. His Auslese now sell in the $80 range (if you can find them- his total production is 2200 cases). Therefore, I am "stuck" with his Spatlese which in a ripe year like 2003 is really Auslese quality.

The Domprobst vineyard is extremely steep and his top site. It is made up of slate. Schaefer is renowned for making aromatic wines and this bottle is now exception. The wine just about soars out of the glass. I did not detect any Sulfer. Can such a young wine be so open and ripe? Extremely lithe on the palate. Wonderful compexity and minerality from the slate soil. Notes of cantelope and lemon rind. A tad sweet for a Spatlese (no doubt due to the declassified Auslese level fruit). Beautiful and great potential. Others may disagree on the ageability of the 2003 vintage; however, my opinion is to save this for another 10 years if you have any. 93 points.

VM
Original Post
Thanks very much for sharing this one, VM. It was quite delicious.

A tiny bit of petrol on the nose. My favorite part of the wine was the exceptionally velvety mouthfeel. Flavor profile reminded me of an orange/peach creamsicle. The wine fanned out softly on the finish, leaving me wondering whether it has the acidity to hold over the long haul. But I am a novice at predicting ageability of German wines and will defer to VM, as he is the expert. 93P.

Cheers,

Otis
i want to tell you vino me,

that it is not 100% corect when you say the 2003's have a low acidity.

the wine has three diffrend aciditys
1- wineacid
2- appleacid
3- milkacid

the milkacid is only when the winemaker tos make a appleacid "degradation" with milkacid-bacteria
germans rarly do that! swiss winemakers do it quite often.

in 2003, the wineacid part was hight!
only the appleacid content was mid-low.

with that hight wineacid, there is no question that the wines will age nice.

Add Reply

Likes (0)