Skip to main content

• 2003 Turley Zinfandel Old Vines - USA, California (8/31/2005)
    What a nice wine to have after a 5 week break from drinking. The only thing that this wine is missing is the spice I look for in a great Zin. I am amazed at the fact that this wine shows no heat even though it is 16.4% alcohol. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

LOVE the 03 old vines. find it amazingly balanced (while still being full-bodied)for a new release Turley. Great fruit. We've probably had 3 already. had an '02 last night, paled in comparison to '03. '02 was very disjointed, almost awkward leading into the finish.

I bought all i could find, and hopefully my local shop will get more. give me this hands down over stuff like the ravenswood single-v's (which haven't been the same in years). great buy under $30.
Tasted on 11/11/05

2003 Turley Old Vines...I couldn't believe my nose when I took the initial whiff of this. I got lots of spice. Took a sip and it was pruney and spicy. Gave it a few minutes of air time and the spices were more prominent, very peppery. I've had this wine on two other occassions (last time being a few months ago) and it seems like this is a completely different wine. The Old Vines that I had was very drinkable and soft with very little tannins with well integrated fruit. The bottle I had last night was bombarded with spice and pepper and the fruit wasn't coming through as well. I believe in bottle variation but I just think Turley put the wrong label on this one...it just couldn't be the same wine I have had before. BD92
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Donna:
quote:
Originally posted by seanr7:
The only thing that this wine is missing is the spice I look for in a great Zin. I am amazed at the fact that this wine shows no heat even though it is 16.4% alcohol.
The "no spice" about this wine makes it so appealing for me. I love this wine.

not to put you on the spot, but...
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Donna:
Tasted on 11/11/05

2003 Turley Old Vines...I couldn't believe my nose when I took the initial whiff of this. I got lots of spice. Took a sip and it was pruney and spicy. Gave it a few minutes of air time and the spices were more prominent, very peppery. I've had this wine on two other occassions (last time being a few months ago) and it seems like this is a completely different wine. The Old Vines that I had was very drinkable and soft with very little tannins with well integrated fruit. The bottle I had last night was bombarded with spice and pepper and the fruit wasn't coming through as well. I believe in bottle variation but I just think Turley put the wrong label on this one...it just couldn't be the same wine I have had before. BD92
Tasted 01/22/07 with grilled asian marinaded flank steak and Nutella brownies...this bottle was very similar to the previous tasting note. Lots of prune on the nose but lost a little of the pepper and spice. As this wine ages, it's becoming more overextracted to my palate. Fruit holding up ok though. Drink up within the next one year. BD87

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.