TN: 2003 Concha y Toro Don Melchor Cabernet Sauvignon

2003 Concha y Toro Don Melchor Cabernet Sauvignon - Puente Alto, Chile
Decanted 2 hr’s. Good nose of dark currants with some cherry at the core and hints of tar that follow through nicely on the palate with additional notes of leather and mocha along with a persistent mineral quality and a mint flavor component. Light acidity on the consistent palate with fine, solid tannins, reasonable depth and a polished edge all leading to a lingering finish. Terrific Cabernet value that continued to open up after 2+ hr’s decant time. S93 8/5/2006
Original Post
I think the list price has held pretty tight around $42-$45. Retailers seem to be discounting it less these days due to it’s ‘01 scores. It retails for $45, but before the leak on the WS score came out last week, you could get it at discount stores/on-line for $35. A lot of Costco’s apparently have it for $35.
TripD,
This was a smoother (tannins), less vegetable version of the ‘01. It did not have nearly the amount of iodine, eucalyptus or mint notes (I’ve heard many different words for the same thing) that I recall from the ‘01. But then again, I let it decant a full 2 hours before doing any tasting.

Although I scored them the same, IMHO, I think the ‘03 is a little bit better.

ps. Thanks for bringing the Integrity the other night - awesome wine!
I drank one (2003) without the benefit of decanting, and the tannins seemed a little too harsh for my palate, and the wine just a little off in general. I think decanting would have made a big difference. I'm a little too accustomed to California cabs that are ready to go as soon as you pull the cork. Didn't have time to decant it, and I paid the price. Don't reinvent my wheel. Let it breathe like Green did.
James,
Can you tell us how your review of this wine appears to have been published to retailers before it’s available to WS “Advance”, WS “Insider” nor the print issue subscribers?

Here’s the full review at a retailers site
http://www.klwines.com/product.asp?sku=1023907

The notes have the folowing line: "With a great nose of currant confiture and cocao powder, ..."

It was my understanding that subscribers to WS “Advance” and WS “Insider” get this information at the same time the retailers do.
GD:

That is my understanding as well - that the wines on the "Advance" are available to the website subscribers at the same time the retailers get their copy (that is where this wine review came from, they quoted it correctly). I am looking into why there has been a lag in this case...
It's a lag. Retailers get the advance via hard copy in the mail, and then it should go up on our website basically right thereafter. The theory is that consumers who subscribe to the website get the bonus of knowing what the highlighted wines in the Buying Guide are, while retailers can get the wines in stock and 'be ready', so to speak, for their customers...

In this case, there's been a hangup with the advance being posted on the site. It's being looked into (this is not my department, but I take claims of 'score leaks' very seriously)...

The store in question is quoting the score and review correctly, so no problem there. And in fact, their price is well below the SRP we were quoted by the winery, so no problem there either...
quote:
Originally posted by James Molesworth:
It's a lag. Retailers get the advance via hard copy in the mail, and then it should go up on our website basically right thereafter. The theory is that consumers who subscribe to the website get the bonus of knowing what the highlighted wines in the Buying Guide are, while retailers can get the wines in stock and 'be ready', so to speak, for their customers...

In this case, there's been a hangup with the advance being posted on the site. It's being looked into (this is not my department, but I take claims of 'score leaks' very seriously)...

The store in question is quoting the score and review correctly, so no problem there. And in fact, their price is well below the SRP we were quoted by the winery, so no problem there either...
Well, it did go up $5 per after they got the score. Wink

As you said, this is not your department, but thanks for letting us know. It was my understanding that retailers and consumers who subscribe to Advance/Insider got the electronic first and at the same time.
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Donna:
Greendrazi,
Might not get 5 cases...maybe 2 for myself

PM me on WD if you would like some.

There is a strong possibility that I will be able to get this for 34.99 minus 15%.

Well if that is the case I want one case, wood box and all. PM me.
quote:
Originally posted by seanr7:
Well if that is the case I want one case, wood box and all. PM me.
When did you get off of wine probation? Big Grin

For all of you putting cases of orders in through me Roll Eyes I can only store this in my living room. My cellar is too small to hold multiple cases of this stuff. Although a little birdies cellar down the street might have enough room
Ok, fyi, the 9/30 advance is now available on the site. Apparently the problem was that it was posted up on the Sept. 30 issue cycle, when it should have been put up on a 9/15 issue cycle, since the issue is actually a double issue. The hard copy to retailers went out on the correct schedule, hence the disconnect...
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Thief:
GD,

Costco on Windward Parkway had 'em for $36-37 last weekend. I picked up a case on my way home Friday. Big Grin

You probably got the last one. I was there Saturday afternoon and there was none to be had...

Went next door to the wine store and grabbed a decent PN. It was a wash.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by James Molesworth:
QUOTE]

Ive never understood this explanation. In todays day and age, has letting the retailer in early on hype type news ever done anything but raise prices for their customers...or enabled gouging?

"be ready" with their higher prices apparently.
I have tasted the 03 twice over the last few days and cellared a few bottles at $34 a bottle. I found it to have a tremendous nose that hit me immediately with big cab like currant and berry aromas. Upon tasting, the currant and black berry aromas became flavors that were joined by a complex of other flavors, including coffee and perhaps dark chocolate. The wine also had nice life giving acidity and tannic backbone that ended in a wave of big but fine tannins. A criticism I have, however, is that on both occasions that I tasted this wine, I found that after a few sips the acid and particularly the tannins began to dominate, and after about 4-5 sips washed out the finish and even the up-front flavor. I tasted from a bottle(s) in a nitrogen system, so this might have affected things some. Also, I suspect the temperature of the wine was a few degrees too cold. A little food and perhaps water in between tastes might have help. Still, until the acid and tannic washout, the wine was great, and I gladly bought some at $34 a bottle. I would score it around 92-93 and not up where WS has it, but again my tasting conditions weren't optimal.

Add Reply

Likes (0)