TN: 2003 Ch. Lascombes, Margaux

Open 8 hours before serving. Deep ruby color. Explosive cherry and rasberry syrup, flowers, and cotton balls (imagine a soft pillow). On the mouth, it is a completely different wine. Only tiny "impression" of sweet fruits. More of tobacco, hazelnut, and milk chocolate. Not the ultra ripe character that many '03 wine inhibit, no syrupy, no jammy body, but just a silky body and soft refined tannin on a long finish. The '02 was bigger, denser, more fruit forward, and more agressive tannin. Lascombes is full of surprise... 93 points.

DP Wink
Original Post
Popped and double decanted. Dark, dark purple color. Nose was fairly closed, initially. Lots of dusty, loamy soil and lead pencil. Then it turned into black cherry, cassis, coffee bean and cocoa. Wonderful mouthfeel. Balanced, medium bodied, low acidity, round tannins and a black cherry finish. B+/A-
2003 Château Lascombes - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (1/16/2013)

Opened by Longboarder. 2nd time I have had this wine and it is showing better now than when I first had it on release. This is an estate which has been improving it's overall quality over the last 10-15 years. Seems like every new vintage I try is better than the last. This wine is better than the 2001 but not as good as the 2005 or 2009. Deep crimson color. Smooth with an earthy texture. Tobacco, cassis, pencil lead and red berry notes with licorice on the finish. 92-93 points.

VM
I found this very enjoyable- not as serious or stern as the last few that I had, including one over Christmas that was completely shut down. Cigar box and ripe dark berries. I didn't get the immediate sensation of coffee out of it as I have out of some past ones. Very nice wine. 93pts

Add Reply

Likes (0)