TN: 2003 Ch. Canon-la-Gaffeliere, St. Emilion

A great right bank wine. Color of a shiny black cherry skin. Seductive and subtle dry herb de provence, focus fruit of ripe black cherry (but not very ripe), tree bark, and a hint of earth. Very perfume and layered when swirling in glass. Medium body and not at all heavy like most '03. In fact, I would not have guess this is from 2003. High acidity but fell fresh and simply elegance. Fine tannin of cocao powder lasting long over a minutes. Definitely a young wine but this will turn out nicely over next decade. 92+ points.

DP Wink
Original Post
2003 Château Canon-la-Gaffelière - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (1/16/2013)

Opened by Otis. 2nd time I have had this wine. Double decanted 5 hours before dinner. The only Right Bank wine of the 4 2003 Bordeaux opened at this dinner and it stood out for that reason. Earthy nose with underbrush. Leather and cigar box notes with some bacon fat nuances on the finish. Firm acidity. Excellent wine which will continue to improve and round out. I think the 2005 and 2009 vintages are superior though. 93 points.

VM
I thought this was in great balance, showing classic Bordeaux notes of cigar box, dill, and lead pencil. Long persistent finish. I thought it was the most open of all the wines on the table, yet capable of aging for many more years. Full disclosure: I am a big fan of CLG. Almost always hits my sweet spot. 93P

Add Reply

Likes (0)