Skip to main content

I opened this wine on Saturday at the Cubtoberfest offline. Pfeffingen is located in the Pfalz region of Germany and is one of the top producers in the area (and considered by many to be the best Scheurebe producer in the world). Although their specialty is the Scheurebe grape, they also make some nice Riesling.

Pfalz is purported by many experts to have done even better in 2002 that it did in 2001. The importer for these wines, Rudi Wiest, claims Pfeffingens 2002's could be the best this estate has ever made. That is a bold statement since the bar has been set very high. The WA gave the 2001 vintage of this wine 94 points! I did not taste the 2001 but this 2002 was impressive.

This was the best nondessert Scheurebe wine I have ever had. It had an absolutely fantastic nose which was very reminiscent of a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Full bodied with a thick and oily texture. Creamy tropical fruit notes including kiwi, passion fruit and lime. Very obvious botrytis notes as well in this GKA. The sweetness was balanced by sharp acidity (however don't expect the acidity levels you find in a Riesling here). 93 points.

VM

Welcome to Next Year- EAMUS CATULI

[This message was edited by Vino Me on Oct 13, 2003 at 06:01 PM.]
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I tried this again last night and the nose simply blew away the other Rieslings that were also left over. Here is part of an interesting commentary by Terry Theise on the virtues and drawbacks of Scheurebe:
quote:
As often seems the case with crossings, the results are oblique to the grapes crossed, i.e. there’s no linear sequence of getting Riesling-flavors-plus-Silvaner-flavors. You end up with new flavors you couldn’t have predicted. Scheurebe ripens 7-10 days ahead of Riesling, and has a little less acidity, but it’s essentially a Riesling structure, i.e. firm and citrussy. It does indeed like sand but doesn’t give its very best results; the wines tend to be 1-dimensionally tangerine-y.

Great Scheurebe unfolds a truly kinky panoply of flavors and aromas. Indeed, Scheu is to Riesling what “creative” sex is to missionary-with-the-lights-out. Start with pink grapefruit. Add cassis; I mean pure cassis. Then add sage leaves you just crushed between your fingertips. Then lemon grass. If it’s extremely ripe you can talk about passion-fruit and papaya. If it’s underripe you will certainly talk about cat piss. Scheurebe is capable of great finesse and stature. Yet it’s becoming an endangered species. Why?

First, it’s been lumped together with a genre of crossings to which it is manifestly superior. It’s the proverbial baby being thrown out with the bath water. Then, Scheurebe likes vineyard conditions which Riesling likes as well. Scheu will hiss at you if you plant it in the wrong place. This you don’t want. But by planting it in good Riesling sites, you have a wine which fetches less money than Riesling. Not good.

Growers who maintain their Scheurebe recognize its beauty and uniqueness. If anything it’s almost more attractive at table than Riesling, working with boldly flavored dishes (especially Pac Rim) for which Riesling is sometimes too demure.

Scheurebe keeps very well but doesn’t age as dramatically as Riesling. Ten-year-old Scheu is only a little different than 1-year-old Scheu.

Tastes differ, of course, and what’s sizzling and emphatic to me might be blatant and vulgar to you, but we who love Scheurebe are truly in a kind of thrall to it. It has little of Riesling’s spiritual depth, but neither does Riesling have Scheurebe’s erotic power. We need both for a balanced diet! Riesling may indeed represent All That Is Fine And Good, but Scheu offers All That Is Dirty And Fun.

He does have a way with words.

VM

Welcome to Next Year- EAMUS CATULI

[This message was edited by Vino Me on Oct 14, 2003 at 01:37 PM.]
Last edited {1}
2002 Pfeffingen Ungsteiner Herrenberg Scheurebe Auslese Goldkapsel - Germany, Pfalz (2/14/2007)

I took a 375ml bottle of this to LA last weekend and opened it on Sunday with dim sum for some of the CRS. Just about the same notes as when I last had this. Thick, rich and sweet and in the bordering on the dessert wine category but I don't think it is quite there. 92-93 points.

VM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.