2002 Marquis Philips South Eastern Australia Shiraz, $15.99, 15.5% alc.: Dark garnet, not quite inky; big charred oak, root beer, chocolate, candied multi-dark berry and tar nose with overtones of something like menthol that makes me cough the first time I take a good whiff. Maybe it's ethanol, I don't know. Flavors echo loudly, with an obvious alcoholic bite. Too much heat and oak for this taster. I'm somewhat oak tolerant, but this is a travesty.

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.

Give me a fast connection and a bottle of Geyserville and I'm out of here!
Original Post
If you call that an anagram, grossie, you need to go back to school.

Sorry, didn't know about the request, but I'm not about to edit my notes.

As far as senior members go, I've been posting on the WS boards a h3ll of a lot longer that Vino Me, no offense intended.

WHoaaaaa! Slow down tiger.

My anagram may not be good, but I think I have the definition correct.

Perhaps you can check the dictionary on the definition of longer? It seems to me that VM has been here since Oct 01, and you since Nov 01. He has over 3000 posts and is a regular contributor in many respects. You--- 139, and ....

Listen, I'm sorry to have ruffled your feathers with my post. You're not the first to post that TN without knowing about this being the TAA wine. It has been accepted custom here that we don't post TAA wines before the TAA host, who happens this month to be Vino Me.

Flower power my ass.
Grossie,

I see what you are suggesting and agree that GeoT has no point to prove by leaving a tasting note up for a readily available $11-15 wine. Such is life. Roll Eyes

To make George's point, though, there was a Wine Spectator forum long before October, 2001. If you notice the signon dates of the current "most tenured" posters, none go past that date ... why? Well, due to a software change, that's why. However, there were people (Geo T prominently among them) posting long before your dates of reference.

I, for one, would like to hear MUCH more from GeoT ... and not just because I bought a case-and-a-half of 2002 Monte Bello based solely on The Gang of Pour's say so! Cool

Steve

cheers, y'all!
Grossie,
GeoT has been around since long before the software change.
That said, a little editing wouldn't hurt for the good of the exercise. As far as ignoring goes, this one might be hard to. Moth to flame thing going on whenever Marquis Philips is mentioned.

Cheers!
And remember: Life's too short to drink bad wine.
Frankly I don't see what the big deal is, and this was really only a matter of time. The idea of "shielding" the sensitive forumites from seeing any notes on this wine prior to the TAA is to imply they are incapable of making up their own mind on same. I think we have a higher class of participants here, and they are discriminating enough to endure reading someone else’s notes without succumbing to a lemming effect.
I'm sorry about the timing thing, I wasn't around and so I wasn't familiar with the software change.

I didn't mean to get Geo all riled up with my first reponse here. I was trying to let him know that this is the TAA wine and there's a general agreement not to post TN's on this wine. We've all tried the wine, we all have our opinions already. The point is this is supposed to be a fun exercise where we all taste the wine together, or at least post notes together.

One more caveat. I don't care who it is being the TAA host, or how long he/she's been around, I still think the TAA should be respected. I don't give a rat's ass about how long anyone's been here, I didn't bring that up, Geo did. I referred to VM as a "senior member", not as Geo's superior. I'm sorry he felt that this was an insult to him.

If I'm wrong, please tell me. Sometimes it's hard to know when you're being an a$$hole.

Flower power my ass.
Grossie,

You are right to ask that the local traditions and conventions be respected.

GeoT could easily edit out the "offending" tasting note, but failing that we can just try to "look the other way". After all, there is all sorts of discussion about this wine on eBob and VinoCellar (well, you know -- when it's working Wink) too.

This was the risk that VM took by extending the date out on this very popular and discussable wine. It'll be good to finally get to the TAA date so people can finally come out of the woodwork to start talking about this wine that everybody seems to want to talk about. Big Grin

By the way, check out GeoT's affiliated web site, the Gang of Pour. You'll see that he and his cohorts have some very interesting and useful information -- and their approach to things is anything but ordinary.

cheers, y'all!
Well....last I checked it was a free country, and while you can politely ask people to hold off on posting notes, it cannot be expected. And...truthfully, it's not at all helpful to the community to withold the information...especially on this wine. Most retailers have already gotten shipments in, and within a day or two they are gone! For those looking to make a quick decision on whether to buy or pass on these controversial wines it would be nice to have some notes around here to fall back on.

Just my .02....

-DRAB

So much wine.....so little time!!!
I agree that many folks might use aforementioned notes as an aid to a buying decision prior to the TAA. These wines are hot and do sell fast in many areas.

And it's quite easy for those participating in the TAA to simply not click on the thread. It is clearly labeled.

But me, I'm a lover not a fighter... Razz

And fwiw, I'm sure many new forumites may be new to these boards and not at all new to wine. Someone with a single post could have myriad insightful comments that could benefit the majority of us here. I was not aware of any rules of seniority...

funny wine quip goes here.
...I certainly didn't mean to cause a tempest in a teapot. It's just a bottle of wine, and not a very good one, IMNSHO.

Thanks for the kind words, and thanks especially to stemor, for the link to our goofy website.

Ciao 4 now,

geo

not for nothing but this TAA on the MP Shiraz has missed the boat, it is way too late. its been reviewed by hundreds of people on other boards that Im sure people here lurk on so by the time this TAA gets off the ground noone will care.
Why the censorship? its wine furcrissakes!!!
Yeah, I have to agree with you, GIVENTOFLY. The 2002 MP Shiraz has been discussed ad nauseum on ebob, vinocellar, WCWN and all over the web. Almost everyone who participates on WS Forums has likely read (or heard) some sort of review for this wine as well as all of the other '02 MPs.

IMHO, it's pretty silly for anyone to still believe that a TAA thread for a wine this hot would be newsworthy or timely. And for those of you who were waiting for TAA TNs on WS Forums before purchasing this wine--you're screwed! It's almost completely spoken for and nearly impossible to find.

"I've gotta be honest with you, guys. I need more cowbell."
Is the concept of the TAA that difficult to understand? I was hoping to avoid posting on this thread in the hopes that it would just fall off the front page but it seems that will not happen soon. So let's discuss the TAA.

The TAA was never meant to be used as a buying guide. The logistics of waiting for the wine to reach every state (and hopefully Canada) and then providing time for everyone to buy it means that the notes will rarely if ever be timely. Instead, the TAA is meant as a tool to allow members of this community to compare and contrast palates. Those who have read or participated for the last 18 months probably have a good idea of how other TAA participants score a wine and how various individuals ratings compare. You can also get a sense of which posters have similar tastes in wine as you.

In a perfect world, the TAA participants would be the first to try a wine and thus not be influenced by others opinions (most of us do not even read the previous TN's in the TAA thread before posting our notes). However, that is rarely the case because there are so many wine BB's. So I and most other participants ignore notes on other boards.

For those who participate on this board regularly, it is widely known and an accepted practice not to post on an upcoming TAA wine (this applies to any TAA wine and not just the 2002 MP Shiraz). Nonetheless, it happens which is understandable. New members have not heard of the TAA and many members do not or cannot participate and ignore it for many reasons. However, in the past whenever a premature TN was posted on a TAA wine (and it has happened 4-5 times) and it was brought to the posters attention, the poster was good enough to edit or remove the TN. This has always been appreciated by those who participate in the TAA.

Now, here we are. George has posted a note. He has been asked to edit it (perhaps not in the nicest of possible ways) and he has said no. That is his right. As DRAB said, it is a free country. As George and many others have said, it is only wine. I absolutely agree. Which makes me wonder all the more why George finds it so hard to simply edit his note. His statement: "Sorry, didn't know about the request, but I'm not about to edit my notes" does not explain much. But then George does not need to explain anything to me or anyone else (that darned free country thing again). To me though, it just seems like it would be the curteous or friendly thing to do.

In any event, the decision is for George to make.

VM

Eamus Catuli!
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
To me though, it just seems like it would be the curteous or friendly thing to do.

I hope you're not implying here that not to edit my post would be an unfriendly thing to do on my part, because that's just ludicrous. The fact that I've posted these notes before the TAA will not effect it in the slightest; anyone who wants to participate can still compare and contrast palates. If for some bizarre reason anyone thinks that these notes will somehow compromise the TAA, they're taking all of this WAY too seriously, but at least they can choose to simply not open the thread.

It’s unfortunate to me that this is beginning spinning out of control.

Geo, maybe it would help if you understood of the history behind this particular TAA. Earlier this year there was a lengthy discussion on how to improve the participation of TAA. Everyone seemed to acknowledge the concept, but participation was fairly low. Vino Me came up with the idea of the '02 MP Shiraz in order to increase the involvement in the TAA and hopefully enjoy a good bottle of wine with virtual friends across the globe. It was in very good faith that this idea came about.

Although I wasn't a part of this forum a year ago, I have heard of its previous reputation for animosity. I have not witnessed it here since I have joined (for the most part) and I would hate to see that change now.

Of course you are within your right to leave your post. Additionally, it is true that participation in the TAA will not likely change with or without your post. However, for the sake of harmony and good will... what harm would it do to edit your post and restore order to this forum?
To Vino Me and others:

My comments below are meant with the utmost respect....

While I completely understand the concept behind the TAA, I think that #1 your choice of wine for this event, and #2 the late timing of the TAA with respect to the wine's release, is causing problems. This is a very "hyped" wine from a very "hyped" producer, and people are dying to buy it, drink it, and talk about it. And, their window of opportunity is quite small with respect to how fast it is selling out. As some have posted before, notes and commentary are all over the web, and asking people here to hold off on discussion when the wines were released 2-3 weeks ago (and in most cases are long gone) is like holding candy in front of a baby and telling them they can't have it, just for the sake of your personal event. In a perfect world, everyone here would wait for the TAA date, and the wine would wait on the shelves for everyone else. But, it's a bit unfair to ask for silence on this when it's all over the "front page" so to speak. I think that those who wish to participate in the TAA should simply have the control to not read what others post and preserve their own integrity (no pun intended) for the TAA. That way it allows those who do not intend to participate in the TAA do engage in active discussion/debate for purchasing purposes, and/or simply for current event's sake.

Sorry this seems to be backfiring on you?

Regards,

-DRAB

I agree with DRAB's comments. In retrospect, picking the '02 MP Shiraz as the TAA wine has resulted in an effort to silence this board from talking about, as Parker puts it, "the hottest wine in the country".

I think that asking this board to hold-off on talking about the hottest wine in the country is silly. Folks are excited about this wine and want to talk about it NOW--not wait for the TAA event just to satisfy a minority of posters on this board.

To paraphrase what Eric White said, the folks who participate in the TAA have sophisticated enough palates to fairly judge a wine--even if they have read other's notes on it.

Sorry VM but I must repectfully disagree with you on this one. Peace-out.

"I've gotta be honest with you, guys. I need more cowbell."
quote:
Originally posted by brian123:
what harm would it do to edit your post and restore order to this forum?

Restore order?! This has been nothing, if not a very civil conversation, Brian. Order has not been lost, nor is anything spinning out of control. Methinks you are seriously overreacting here.

Cheers,

geo

Hey, George, I know that this isn't your regular beat, but I'm curious if there are any further updates on the 2002 MB coming from The Gang of Pour.

Things were sounding good with the report on the second assemblage, now I'm getting antsy to hear more about my babies as they go through their extended gestation.

"expectantly",

Steve

cheers, y'all!
George- Like I said, it's your post, do what you want. It seems that is exactly what you did anyway. And yes, I do think that it would have been an act of common courtesy if you had taken into account the requests of the members who first responded and waited to post.

DRAB- No offense taken but I disagree with you and have a few points to make:
1. To characterize the TAA as a "personal" event is wrong. It is a board event and whether to participate or not is up to each member.
2. How is my "choice of wine for this event" causing a problem? Would you rather have me pick a mediocre wine that nobody cares about? Back in January, board members had a conversation about how to improve the TAA and the major complaint was lack of participation. Picking an exciting wine is a way to increase participation.
3. "Late timing"? Are you serious? The Marquis Philips TAA was intitially set for May and had to be moved back 3 times because the wine was not released yet. It has only reached some stores in the last week. I even moved the TAA up from the last week of August to the 16th once the wine did become available.
4. Do you really need to read someone else's TN's to buy a $13 bottle of wine? Buy it, try it and buy more if you like it. I did not ask anyone not to try it, just to hold off on the TN.

Mletson- Patience is a virtue.

VM

Eamus Catuli!
VM...

1. While I am definitely wrong in calling this your "personal event" you definitely seem to take this very personally (which is fine), and feel as though there is a personal stake in whether this TAA is "successful" in your eyes. I think it's wonderful that you are an advocate for what seems to be such a great thing here on this board, but it seems to be interfering with other people's desire to discuss the wine and not participate in the TAA.

2. Well...I'm not saying you should have chosen a "bad" or uninteresting wine, but maybe not something quite as "hyped" as this...especially seeing that many of us have had access to these in the past few weeks and may want to discuss before they are gone. Basically, something that Parker isn't calling "the hottest wine in the country". And, while some have yet to see it arrive at retailers, plenty of others have already said goodbye. Placing the TAA date closer to the very inital release (ie: 3 weeks ago) would have made more sense....not discounting your attempt to improve the date here either. Those who couldn't get the wine could simply buy one from someone who would have access earlier and get it shipped to them for the TAA. Lastly...while I know it is important to you to "improve the TAA" (hence my comment about this being personal to you), it shouldn't be at the sacrifice the regular "going's on" of this board.

3. I didn't follow the logistics of your timing in moving the dates around, and it sounds like you were trying to make it sooner than later. But...even if the TAA was a day after initial release, people should still be able to discuss the wine here outside of the TAA format, as they please. Just how I feel, not necessarily right or wrong.

4. While I don't need to read someone's TN to buy a $13 bottle, It would be nice if I plan on buying a couple of cases. Which is what many want to do with this wine. If you plan to buy a bottle to try and then go back to the store to buy a case if you like it, you're going to be S.O.L.! They will be gone by then!

Sorry this has become messy, but I hope you don't take it too personal. While I am not an avid participant in the TAA, I think it's a great thing for many around here.

Take care VM,

-DRAB

[This message was edited by dr.darkrichandbold on Aug 05, 2003 at 06:44 PM.]

[This message was edited by dr.darkrichandbold on Aug 05, 2003 at 06:46 PM.]
I've never participated in a TAA, and I'm somewhat new on the boards, so I don't know if I'll get tarred and feathered for suggesting this, but here goes...the '01 Justin Cabernet Sauvignon instead of the '01 Marquis Philips Shiraz. Nobody has tasted the former (except me Wink, and it is just a few dollars more...I think it might be a good choice. Anyways, I hope that doesn't offend Vino Me, who is probably feeling like a man without a country as of late (due to recent goings on). Either way I'll be participating...By the way how does the TAA work?

"So what brings you to this nape of the woods...neck of the way...how come you're here?" - Ty Webb
Slaught dog- Here is a link with all the TAA information you will need to participate. Please join in.

Drab- You should move to Chicago. That way I will be able to help you drink all that great wine you open and you can take advantage of the fact that MP wines are readily available here and will probably still be around for another 3-4 weeks.

VM

Eamus Catuli!
Well...I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag, but might as well...I have been working in conjunction with Sarah and Sparky Marquis for quite a while now. It's been tough as the consulting enologist for these over the top fruit bombs, but someone's got to do it! Bill Harlan just gave me a call to see if I wanted to consult for him...apparently Michel Rolland isn't cutting it for him anymore and he needs someone with a palate he can trust. Unfortunately I had to decline....I don't want to spread myself thin and tarnish my reputation too soon. I've been tasting this stuff, and the soil, since this project's infancy. I truly believe that in order for the wine to be good on the palate, so must the soil. Well....I wish I could talk more, but I have to catch a red eye to Australia tonight. Sparky needs some help blending the '03's.

Vino Me....have fun with the TAA, and get your but out here to CA so we can wine and dine you like we did for Otis! Oh, and maybe you weasels can send some of the Shiraz back this way since there is none left for any of us here. I'm sipping on it right now, and find it quite enjoyable!

-DRAB

Add Reply

Likes (0)