This producer just does not disappoint. Whether the vintage is good or bad you can count on Mr. Lapierre to come through. This is the 3rd straight vintage that I have scored his Beaujolais above 90 points and among the best made in the region. Some past notes:

2000 Lapierre Beaujolais Morgon- The best Beaujolais I've ever had.
2001 Lapierre Beaujolais Morgon- Excellent effort in this poor vintage.

If you want to taste a wine the way it probably tasted 50-75 years ago, seek out this wine. No fining or filtration, organic farming, hand picking, low yields, old vines, natural yeasts, no suphur or acidification. This is just a fresh fruity wine. No bubble gum notes like many Beaujolais. Perfect if slightly chilled in the Summer or an excellent match with food. Light to medium bodied with red berry and nutty notes. 90-91 points.

VM
Original Post
Opened a bottle of this tonight as my wife and I sat on the front porch and watched some rain showers move through.

Light ruby red color. Served slightly chilled. Distinctive nose of cherry cough syrup and graham crackers. Astoundingly smooth, polished and long on the palate, with brambly flavors of wild strawberry, rhubarb, and rosehip jelly. This is probably the best Beaujolais I have ever had. Recommended. I think I paid around $16 for this. 90P

Cheers,

Otis
Otis,

If you ever want to dig a little deeper into Beaujolais, pick up the Jean Marc Burgaud Morgan Vielles Vignes. Sams has the 2002 in stock for about the same price as the Lapierre. Burgaud has never been reviewed by any major US publication but he is an excellent producer in the same vein as Lapierre. It is hard to beat Lapierre though.

VM

Add Reply

Likes (0)